Clarification on borrowing moto from us to canada from cousin | GTAMotorcycle.com

Clarification on borrowing moto from us to canada from cousin

s6xspeed

I know there have been a few threads about this but I wanted to make sure I understand this correctly.

My first cousin lives in Chicago and has a second moto which he doesn't ride anymore (he both owns it and insures it)

we were chatting and he wanted to lend it to me so am I understanding that if I so the below steps there shouldn't be a problem bringing it into Canada?

- be placed on his insurance
- get a letter written by him mentioning it's borrowed and use the template from ezbordercrossing
- have a copy of his ownership
- pay duty which is 13% of what the bike Is worth on the market??

we will be towing it behind our suv

thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Why pay "duty" if you are "borrowing" it? It's almost the same as if he just rode it up here and left it for you. No need to pay anything. The main issue you will have to contend with is showing that you have permission to take the bike into Canada, which the letter should cover. Not sure if you should tell the US side that it is leaving the country.....

Why pay "duty" if you are "borrowing" it? It's almost the same as if he just rode it up here and left it for you. No need to pay anything. The main issue you will have to contend with is showing that you have permission to take the bike into Canada, which the letter should cover. Not sure if you should tell the US side that it is leaving the country.....

Right that makes perfect sense, thank you for the reply! i'll ask the cousin about asking the US side.

I can't imagine this will go well.

If/when a cop does a document check at the side of the road, they will be ****** by US plates/insurance and ontario drivers licence/address. I doubt your friends insurance will be valid when ridden by someone else in another country.

Back
Top Bottom