Heading to the Dragon down the Blue Ridge Parkway second week of July . | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Heading to the Dragon down the Blue Ridge Parkway second week of July .

I went down a few years ago in October for a few days and the bunkhouse option at the Iron horse lodge is cheap as long as you don't mind that sort of sleeping arrangement.

What do you mean by that type of sleeping arrangement ?I can`t get the info on the place .

What do you mean by that type of sleeping arrangement ?I can`t get the info on the place .

They changed it since I was there, It was basically an empty trailer with beds in it, now it's like this http://ironhorsenc.com/accommodations/cabin-rooms-bunkhouse/ see the bottom pic.

$30 for the night but your could be sharing the room with a bunch of strangers. When I was there it was 3 of us in an 8 bunk trailer so there was lot's of space.

$30 for the night but your could be sharing the room with a bunch of strangers. When I was there it was 3 of us in an 8 bunk trailer so there was lot's of space.

Eh ya .I think I`ll spend the extra .LOL

Thanks forthe hotel .It looks pretty good.

Eh ya .I think I`ll spend the extra .LOL

Thanks forthe hotel .It looks pretty good.

When I rolled in it was late October and raining on and off, $15 to set up my tent for the night or IIRC $25 for the bunk house. I paid the extra $10 and stayed dry lol.

IMHO if your going down with a group and planning far enough ahead renting out a Vacation home or cabin is a great way to keep costs down. If your traveling solo then other than camping your accommodations will always be a bit higher in price.

When I rolled in it was late October and raining on and off, $15 to set up my tent for the night or IIRC $25 for the bunk house. I paid the extra $10 and stayed dry lol.

IMHO if your going down with a group and planning far enough ahead renting out a Vacation home or cabin is a great way to keep costs down. If your traveling solo then other than camping your accommodations will always be a bit higher in price.

There is two of us going .

Thanks for the info in this thread... I'm heading down there for the first time next Sunday.

Don't forget that the Dragon is not the greatest thing ever. It should be ridden once, for sure, but there are many, too many to name, roads all throughout Penn. WV., VA, Tenn. NC, and even SC and Georgia that are as good just not as well known, and that is a good thing. BRP is a fantastic warm up for VA 16, WV 50, take a look around don't get all myopic about the Dragon.

+1 for Holiday Motel. Nice owners and they'll point you to the great lesser-known roads as well.

Don't forget that the Dragon is not the greatest thing ever. It should be ridden once, for sure, but there are many, too many to name, roads all throughout Penn. WV., VA, Tenn. NC, and even SC and Georgia that are as good just not as well known, and that is a good thing. BRP is a fantastic warm up for VA 16, WV 50, take a look around don't get all myopic about the Dragon.

Doing the dragon just to say I did it .But I have been told lots of great roads around .

Wow what a ride .

First day we rode around PA . Stopped at Penn State and stayed at Stevens Motel . Nothing fancy a nice clean 60's motel for 55 a night .

Second day we made it Roanoke Virginia stayed at the Days Inn for 93 a night . Tried a motel down the street by the name Hollings Hotel . But with two toothless hookers on the porch made a decision to spend the extra cash .

Make sure you hit the Cherahala Skyway, Hellbender, Old NC28 is a great ride too. Let's be honest, most of the roads down there are great lol.

In and around Tellico Plains is a great spot.. close the the Deals gap, 2 seconds from the Cherahala, the hellbender and not far to the Georgia state line. Check out Blood Mountain in north Georgia some great riding and killer roads down there. The altitude is nice when its super hot.. we were down last week and its was warm to say the least..

Finished the BRP Wednesday night .What a great road .Did the dragon and Cheroholla skyway Thursday made a turn and headed home on back roads .By chance we did the US 219 in West Virginia a road well reviewed by several bike magazines .This road is just as crazy as the dragon .I don`t know how these roads get build .But if you want a truly nice ride back north this road is a must .

Friday was more back roads can`t remember the numbers .But the Garmin was set avoid cities and highways .

Saturday we hit the slab to get back .

Did you guys do the entire BRP? if so how long did it take you?

I must admit our speed was up above the posted limit .The traffic was very low .Like maybe a car very 10-15 minutes if that .It can be done in a day if you are quick .But to enjoy it by stopping a day and a half .We did the entire road in a day and a couple of hours .

I was warned by several people the BRP jams up with cars and campers on weekends .It get crazy on US long weekends .

Hey it's not just cars that jam up the BRP. I had to pass two sportbikes that were lollygagging along - and we were two upping on a goldwing....

Just started reading "Motorcycle Journeys Through the Appalachians" third edition by Dale Coyner http://goo.gl/xEyjFt
Over 300 pages on 10 different tours you can do including pics and maps. He's been riding this area for over 20 years. Very Interesting and as he says - not a definitive guide - just a starting point.

Hey it's not just cars that jam up the BRP. I had to pass two sportbikes that were lollygagging along - and we were two upping on a goldwing....

I have a video of me on the Dragon . A regular at the dragon that rides the road on a Goldwing . Goes past me on the way up .Then before I finish the road he passes me on the way down . Check him out on youtube .

Back
Top Bottom