Which car. Any car enthusiasts here? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Which car. Any car enthusiasts here?

OP, just go out and test drive these cars. You'll know it when you feel it.

2010 vs 2014? lol

Toyota, Honda and Audi are all known for quality and despite the Audi B8 having quite a lot of issues (engine and suspension) I believe they were mostly covered by warranties by 2012, last production year of that generation. You would generally get the same level of luxury and performance at a cheaper price with the TSX, not to mention better fuel economy. The IS250 would only be a better choice if you prefer a more sporty feel, plan to take it to mosport / cayuga (because oversteer is more fun than understeer) and/or want a more recognized premium brand than Acura.

Also, since you considered an A4, there are decent Mercedes-Benz C300 and E90 BMW 328i to be found within your budget.

2010 vs 2014? lol

Toyota, Honda and Audi are all known for quality and despite the Audi B8 having quite a lot of issues (engine and suspension) I believe they were mostly covered by warranties by 2012, last production year of that generation. You would generally get the same level of luxury and performance at a cheaper price with the TSX, not to mention better fuel economy. The IS250 would only be a better choice if you prefer a more sporty feel, plan to take it to mosport / cayuga (because oversteer is more fun than understeer) and/or want a more recognized premium brand than Acura.

Also, since you considered an A4, there are decent Mercedes-Benz C300 and E90 BMW 328i to be found within your budget.

Audi is known for quality???? Known by who? Do you have a quality metric that shows this?

IS250 is a great car. It's seriously lacking in the power department.
I can't stand automatics but I would go IS350 over the gutless IS250.

Are you worried about fuel consumption? Power? Manual or Auto?

Out of the 3 you listed, the IS and the TSX are probably equal in terms of worry free maintenance. I had an A4 before and these things are finnicky man. Electronics just go wonky.

As for looks, that's subjective so it's really whatever you feel is best looking.

I just picked up a '11 Jetta TDI Highline recently with the same budget as you. Of course, I can't comment on long term maintenance but if you care about fuel consumption, then a TDI is the way to go.

I can't stand automatics but I would go IS350.

23mfkl.jpg

Last edited:

I'm a long time subscriber of CR and find their quality evaluations inconsistent, and their opinions wishy washy. Their opinion of "quality" is wide ranging. Ford, goes to the bottom of the list, because of their dreaded Sync system, but really doesn't say much about the actual "quality" of the vehicle. Toyotas are outstanding for their quality, yet they lose because it doesn't do as well as the other in crash testing.

This link here (stats are from a "warranty provider" company) proves real world stats from a company not really trying to sell magazines, and doesn't really have a reason to sway a customers opinion from one way to the other......

German cars are not as reliable as their reputation suggests...........The most reliable engines came from Honda

I'd put Honda down for reliable. My old 91 si was at 400+ and my friend who bought it off me got to 800 before it finally died. Another friends 98 civic made it to 590 before death. The body falling off is an issue however.

Great info and suggestions guys.

I originally had my mind set on the is250. Yes it is slow, yes it most definitely is lacking in power department. But I didnt mind that. Fuel econ is about the same mpg as my current car, so no worries there. I just like the subtle looks it has, nice lines and doesn't look overly styled.

I am still waiting till this weekend to see an 09 A4 quattro 2.0l in a manual tranny with less than 80k, price seems ok. But only thing is I dont know if 80k is high for these cars. And what major issues I will run into. The seller of this car mentioned that his car is currently in for warranty work. Something to do with high oil consumption that apparently these cars are known for. So to me it sounds like some sort of rebuild?

What do you guys make of this? stay away from this A4 or clear for take off? He still has warranty for 10 months on it.

Apparently 1 in every 27 Audi, there is a problem.
Compared to Honda with 1 in every 344.

That is terrible!!

If you do maintenance or repairs yourself stay away from german cars.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I'd put Honda down for reliable. My old 91 si was at 400+ and my friend who bought it off me got to 800 before it finally died. Another friends 98 civic made it to 590 before death. The body falling off is an issue however.

It's easier to do anything on an engine than to restore a rotten body. While many might not care how the car looks, in case of an accident I rather be in an old audi with all it's quirks than an old civic that'll bend like cardboard.

It's easier to do anything on an engine than to restore a rotten body. While many might not care how the car looks, in case of an accident I rather be in an old audi with all it's quirks than an old civic that'll bend like cardboard.

Holy crap! I fully agree with you :D

To me nothing is of greater luxury than stepping out your front door into your car & turning that ignition and driving away.

After owning German cars you'll come to understand what I mean

To me nothing is of greater luxury than stepping out your front door into your car & turning that ignition and driving away.

After owning German cars you'll come to understand what I mean

I don't know what you mean. 6 years with my 05 c class and hasn't ever left me stranded. I have heard horror stories but knock on wood mine has been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found people that take short cuts with maintenance on a German car, get bit in the ***. Whereas a Honda will run on water if it needs to.

Couple of Audi's and a Beemer, never been stranded in over a decade. But these cars are like high end gf's. Gotta keep them happy otherwise...

I've found people that take short cuts with maintenance on a German car, get bit in the ***. Whereas a Honda will run on water if it needs to.

Couple of Audi's and a Beemer, never been stranded in over a decade. But these cars are like high end gf's. Gotta keep them happy otherwise...

I had a 2000 Ford Focus that had problems and then I was the problem owner with no money. As the years stretched on that vehicle wouldn't die. I eventually gave up this past winter after 14 years. Didn't want to spend the money. Was still repairable and didn't demand mineral water to run on, accepted tap water.

Amazed to say this, but I'd buy that car again. Same year too.

Audi is known for quality???? Known by who? Do you have a quality metric that shows this?

Each model differs and amongst any brand there are models with problems. Audi generally has reliable cars albeit more for the S-line and RS-line. The B8 A4 had many issues, but were resolved. German steel is high quality, perhaps not as high as American but they aren't purpose-built to fall apart after 5-years unlike Fords.

Back
Top Bottom