Waze thread | GTAMotorcycle.com

Waze thread

eljay

I just found out about Waze. It's pretty sweet, even when loaded on my blackberry Q10. I can only imagine if it was on a real phone or tablet.
I don't get how all those people are updating traffic and hazards and moods while driving, maybe hands free and voice commands work better on other phones. I've pretty much given up on that function of the blackberry.
Anyway, it's pretty sick for finding out where jams before heading out. I just got it so I don't know how good it is at optimizing your route based on traffic cock ups yet. Big news this morning is that there is no short way around cock ups, but that's a feature, not a bug.
Anyone else making waze work?
I'm suggesting giving it a shot if you fight traffic every day.

I do not drive or ride without it - It has saved me a few times from big tickets.

It is 2 clicks to give an update on traffic or a police trap but I have the Z10.

For traffic however I use Google maps with the traffic feature "on" - it is based on traffic speed average from GPS and updates very frequently, it hasn't failed me once yet in my commute.

Waze + turn by turn GPS via Google maps on my Samsung Galaxy is a god send.

Even when on the bike, Waze gives me voice updates on upcoming traffic and police radar while Google GPS gives me turn by turn directions.

This on the Galaxy S5 YMMV.

Only thing I didnt like about waze was the fact that you couldnt place notifications after passing a location, you have to be in the location in order to place a notification. So when I drive by and see a radar, im not able to place the marker when I get home.

Wonder if they changed that

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Works on an OS10 Blackberry, you say? Well, you have my attention.

Works on an OS10 Blackberry, you say? Well, you have my attention.

That was tricky. There was some BS about sideloading with something and getting something called Snap and blabla. I couldn't get that to work, follow these instructions maybe it will work for you: http://supportforums.blackberry.com...want-to-run-Android-Apps-on-Your/td-p/2784957

I got stuck at installing Snap.

Anyway, I browsed on my phone to 1mobile.com, searched for Waze, then installed. First it auto installed some 1mobile app which I guess is like Snap, then I downloaded Waze through the app. Didn't need to connect to a computer. There is some setting on the BB somewhere where you have to allow non-blackberry apps.

Other thing I use Q10 and the screen is quite obviously made for Z10 (or full screen anyway), so I can see some functionality missing on the Q10. I can't report stuff and voice commands don't work, or get hung up. I just follow directions.

This morning I start with a 52 minute estimated route, got re-routed twice and got to work in 64 minutes, which is pretty good for me.

NavFree seems to be a good Offline solution when reception is a problem.

+1 to Waze, but ****** on a tiny Q10 screen.

I don't get how all those people are updating traffic and hazards and moods while driving

+1 to Waze, but ****** on a tiny Q10 screen.

7" touchscreen FTW.

F072BB8F-92D0-45E3-A7E1-763C45576E91-448-0000000C94369ADB_zps3d0cd99a.jpg

Last edited:
I don't drive without it. I've also been posting updates on popular riding roads (radar, sand hazard, etc)

Pioneer. Direct wired to phone via 30 pin dongle which passes through phone cradle. 3rd party app extension on phone which removes the restrictions on the Pioneer iPhone app + e-brake bypass = any app on the phone ported onscreen any time.

That was tricky. There was some BS about sideloading with something and getting something called Snap and blabla. I couldn't get that to work, follow these instructions maybe it will work for you: http://supportforums.blackberry.com...want-to-run-Android-Apps-on-Your/td-p/2784957

Anyway, I browsed on my phone to 1mobile.com, searched for Waze, then installed. First it auto installed some 1mobile app which I guess is like Snap, then I downloaded Waze through the app. Didn't need to connect to a computer. There is some setting on the BB somewhere where you have to allow non-blackberry apps.

Other thing I use Q10 and the screen is quite obviously made for Z10 (or full screen anyway), so I can see some functionality missing on the Q10. I can't report stuff and voice commands don't work, or get hung up. I just follow directions.

Sorry, this is incorrect. Waze is available from Blackberry World, works on BB10. No need to install the Android version, no sideloading.

The one in BB world looks like an Android port.

For shiggles, I d/l both the one from BB world, and then the real Android version from Snap. They both work virtually identically.

Neat app, BTW. Serious potential here if enough ppl update on it.

I do not drive or ride without it - It has saved me a few times from big tickets.

It is 2 clicks to give an update on traffic or a police trap but I have the Z10.

For traffic however I use Google maps with the traffic feature "on" - it is based on traffic speed average from GPS and updates very frequently, it hasn't failed me once yet in my commute.

Have you tried the regular BB maps app? Surprisingly, when I punch in my destination, it tells me when to expect traffic along the route, and frankly, 9 times out of 10, it was correct. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that TomTom supplies the maps for BB?

Last edited:

This morning I start with a 52 minute estimated route, got re-routed twice and got to work in 64 minutes, which is pretty good for me.

1mobile is sketchy. At very least, use the Amazon site. SNAP is the best.

Use this link to install Snap (pictures, and step by step instructions), http://blackberryempire.com/how-to-sideload-google-play-snap-android-apps-blackberry-10/ (Once you get this set up on your computer, you can side load snap on all your friends BB's in less than a minute and be a hero!)

You only have to do this once, and Snap is basically a conduit directly to the Google Play store, so it doesn't get any better than that, and you always have the latest version of every app thats been approved by Google.

With BB OS 10.3 coming later this summer, they say that early builds indicate that BB10 can run 98% of the Android apps on Google Play today.

Last edited:
Neat app, BTW. Serious potential here if enough ppl update on it.

The reason why Wase is the best traffic app to use is you don't have to update (although inputting conditions does help). The app keeps track of the speed of all the users and updates itself.

Back
Top Bottom