Waze thread | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Waze thread

The reason why Wase is the best traffic app to use is you don't have to update (although inputting conditions does help). The app keeps track of the speed of all the users and updates itself.

Waze is new to me, and I'm still exploring it. However, I'm not quite clear on the traffic thing on why its better on Waze? On my standard BlackBerry Maps app, it tells me when to expect traffic, and when there is a "traffic incident", as seen by the warning pop ups on the bottom right corner.

I thought this was standard on everybodys map programs?

2w65q1x.png

14n35a8.png

The difference I found neat with Waze, was the Police notifications and such. Thats what I meant about it working real well if enough people update.

Otherwise, am I missing more? Happy to hear it.

Last edited:
One of my favourite features is 'Send ETA', I have some friends that call/text every 10 minutes asking for my location. With the 'Send ETA' option they can see where I am and exactly what my ETA is, if there is traffic or delays... then my ETA will change.

If you have a bit of extra time, you can also help edit/create roads with Waze. If you live in a developing area, it's a great opportunity to put yourself on the map. There are a lot of roads that aren't on Google Maps.

Another big positive is 'scheduled road closures'; a few weeks ago there was railroad repair on Islington Ave from HWY 7 to Steeles... all-lanes were blocked. Waze Map Editors closed the road for the scheduled days, and Waze users were routed around Islington Ave.

When I tried Google Maps and everything else under the sun... it wanted me to take Islington Ave even though you had to do a U-Turn half-way down the road because it was closed.

If you have a passenger the map comment/chat option is interesting; you can talk to other users about hazards and police enforcement points.

One of my favourite features is 'Send ETA', I have some friends that call/text every 10 minutes asking for my location. With the 'Send ETA' option they can see where I am and exactly what my ETA is, if there is traffic or delays... then my ETA will change.

There is an app on android and apple called Glympse, which lets other users see you and your location, and tracks you in real time on a map

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glympse.android.glympse&hl=en

For those on BlackBerry 10, Glympse is built right into BBM, so as you are chatting with them, you can send them a "Glympse" of your location, and they can track you in real time through BBM on a detailed map. If you get held up in traffic or an intersection, they will see that you are not moving. Pretty neat!

Waze is new to me, and I'm still exploring it. However, I'm not quite clear on the traffic thing on why its better on Waze? On my standard BlackBerry Maps app, it tells me when to expect traffic, and when there is a "traffic incident", as seen by the warning pop ups on the bottom right corner.

I thought this was standard on everybodys map programs?

2w65q1x.png

14n35a8.png

The difference I found neat with Waze, was the Police notifications and such. Thats what I meant about it working real well if enough people update.

Otherwise, am I missing more? Happy to hear it.

With waze you know exactly what time the traffic issue was reported. On other apps, sometimes the incident might be 1 hr old and traffic isn't so bad through that stretch, but not updated as quick.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

I may be wrong, but Waze seems to be the only app that reroutes you automatically based on live traffic data. It's brilliant when driving in/around downtown TO.

(I'm sure some of the fancier GPS units have that feature - I'm just blown away that a free phone app offers so much.)

Back
Top Bottom