BMW s1000rr + long distances | GTAMotorcycle.com

BMW s1000rr + long distances

xfactor

Site Supporter
Anyone out there who's taken their S1000RR on a touring duties (2000KM+)? I'm looking for a new bike and as much as I think that I should buy a GS or some other tourer, I just can't give up the super sport yet. My trusty R1 is no more and I've taken her on week long (5000KM+) trips across the continent. So riding a supersport for long distances are not a huge issue for me, plus i'm a very light packer...luggage space is welcomed but not really a necessity at this point.

Mye options so far are Busa/S1000RR/1200GS. I'm leaning towards the S1000rr, but want to hear opinions from current and previous owners with some endurance pedigree.
thx,
-x

Last edited:
Re: BMW s1000r + long distances

My wife had a S1000RR, she took it out on a couple of multi-day tours - 1,500kms was the longest. The footpegs are a bit lower than the Italian sportbikes, so it was more comfortable. It's got good manners at lower RPMs for touring duty and the power curve is very linear and predictable for a four-banger. I don't know about luggage options, she used a backpack for our trips. It doesn't have an undertail exhaust which should give you some choices for tailbags/saddlebags.

I have a R1200GS, and I'm surprised you are putting the Busa, S1KRR and R12GS on the same shopping list! Seems like you haven't really narrowed down your selection criteria? I can do 1,000+ kms/day on a SS, but I'd much rather do it on a GS...

Since you're looking at BMWs, have you considered the K1200S/K1300S?

I have a R1200GS, and I'm surprised you are putting the Busa, S1KRR and R12GS on the same shopping list! Seems like you haven't really narrowed down your selection criteria? I

Thanks for the input.

You're right in saying that I haven't narrowed it down, I think in my heart of heart, I want to remain with the SS, but practicality demands that I try to expand as I see myself going on more and more on longer rides. So, if I can get away with having the SS even for one or two more summers to tour with. I'll be happy to take it. I'm currently in Australia bike-less and would be in Canada in July, so just started to think about what to do next.

But, since we are talking about a shopping list...I just might end up buying all three. ;)

Since you're looking at BMWs, have you considered the K1200S/K1300S?

I did look at them. Haven't written them off yet but I think I'll go sport/adventure before going to a more touring option for now.

There is a guy I know that used to have a R1 and toured extensively. Sold it with over 100k on it, I believe.

More recently he had a S1000RR for touring. Did a track day with him in Calabogie, and a group ride a few years back.

He doesn't post much, but real nice guy. Maybe send him a PM?

post 4: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...ther-for-west-coast-trip&highlight=everest29k

post 44: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...you-go-this-season/page3&highlight=everest29k

You would be fine on a S1000R, I road my TuonoV4 to California and back. Pack light travel fast and have fun.
More stuff you pack means more crap to take off an on the bike which gets old quick. Travelled with just a tail pack.
No touring windscreen, naked bike across country it was great.
People moan and complain about wind blast but it doesn't bother me. If you're going fast enough it holds you up and you get to relax the core muscles a bit.
It was always fun to get reactions from people when they see how far you have gone on a "non" touring bike.

Is this for Toronto or the land of kangaroos?

Kangaroos: go with the more adventure oriented bikes as their off-pavement scenery is mucho > Toronto.

Toronto, obviously the RR so that you can drop more imaginary panties in your mind and dreams.

KTM 1190 adventure much more powerful and lighter than the beemer. Better electronic package and handling as well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

If you're serious about touring, the first thing that I would consider is reliability, dealer network and availability of parts. Stuff happens, it's part of the adventure, but nothing sucks more than having your adventure cut into by waiting for a doohickey or dongle that's tough to find. BMW has a good dealer network, but I might be concerned about availability of parts specific to the S1000RR.

I'd probably look at Japanese first, and start with a more established platform - of what you named, the Busa stands out as a platform that's been around a while, that there's good support for, for which there are touring farkles available. That's if you wanted a SS touring platform.

I agree with Lightcycle - coming from touring on an performance-modded FZ1, to a R1200GS(w), I can do it on the sportsbike, but I'd rather do it on the GS.

FWIW, I'm very happy with the new liquid-cooled GS so far. It has enough motor to keep things interesting, has great suspension (I was able ground my pegs down on both sides in North Carolina) and the doodads have doodads. I looked at the KTM 1190 as well, but it just didn't do anything for me.

But if you can buy 'em all, buy 'em all.

I'm at a toss up between the Busa and K1300S. Both are much more Sport than touring, but not as aggressive as a Superbike.

So, buy all three, and sell what you don't ride :D (i have room in my garage if you need help with your decision)

I rode a Ninja 250 to Miami and back - 6400kms in 7days of riding, 600kms of which was without a clutch cable lol
So, I fail to see why long distances can't be done on the S1000RR. It would be awesome =)

I rode a Ninja 250 to Miami and back - 6400kms in 7days of riding, 600kms of which was without a clutch cable lol
So, I fail to see why long distances can't be done on the S1000RR. It would be awesome =)

Anything can be ridden anywhere - most of us who tour have done something insane on inappropriate equipment and had a great time doing it. The best stories come from stuff like this.

I don't think anyone's telling him he shouldn't do what he wants to do. We're telling him to buy it all and let how he feels on the day he leaves dictate what he rides!

Try it on a superbike. Wouldn't be anywhere near as comfortable. That said it can still be done. I'm In to see the garage pictures :D

If you've toured with your R1, the S1000rr should feel very familiar in many ways for long distance - similar engine characteristics, etc (unless your R1 is the 2009 and up with the cross plane engine). I'm 6'3" and although I didn't tour across continents on it, I loved my former ktm RC8R as the ergonomics were perfect for my size and the engine was smooth as silk for a huge v-twin. In any case and whatever you end up with, consider a Ventura rack for luggage that way your bag is right behind you, not slung over each side of your tail.

BMW s1000r + long distances

Heard the RR has heat issues? As in you'll feel like you're riding on a fireball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the inputs. I think I'm going with the S1KRR. Sorry to disappoint about the pics...Already got two of her bikes and 2 of my track bikes in the stable. I'd love to add more, but I'm working on a 1 in 1 out system for now. Now that I'm pretty much decided on the next, there is a damn HP4 for sale on autotrader, too damn tempting. :)

As for heat issues and whatnot, had the undertail R1 for a while and it didn't bother me at all, so hoping it won't be too much of a problem.

Nice choice. Another year and I'll be looking for one myself. Post a pic anyways whenever you pick one up :thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom