A truly convertible helmet | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

A truly convertible helmet

What about the shark. Not the same price point and it's more modular than what your looking for but I think it fits what you are looking for. Internal sunshade too. It's my next helmet for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So does anybody know anyone carrying AFX helmets in the GTA? Still interested in this, but I'd never mail-order a helmet. The AFX site is a mess as far as actually figuring out what end-retailers actually carry their products. From what I can tell the Canadian distributor for AFX is Parts Unlimited, and they only deal with a shop in Montreal and a shop in Vancouver up in Canada.

Just arrived and so far so good.

Fit is perfect for me.
Like the chin strap set up ....fiddly to set up but then it's rachet...effortless on and off....no more D-Rings.

Feels good. We will see

Helmet is quiet up to 60 mph- did not slab it.
The Motocross visor has a rumble like soft thunder if you tip your head the wrong way.
Might be a problem on the slab tho it's very low frequency. Have not yet tried it in the sun.

Field of view is outstanding - you simply cannot see the chin bar unless you look down. It's out of peripheral vision.

Visor action is smooth tho the tab to move it is a bit small for gloved hands.

Action on the sunshade is smooth but not yet used to where the tab on it is so fumbly.

Finish and inside is very comfy and smooth, by far the best "fit out of the box" for me but I worry a tad about getting it on with earphones in.

Will cross that bridge.

WIll try the shorter visor tomorrow and more fooling.

Sure was visible tonight with the HI-Viz helmet and the Icon jacket. Was dusk and raining on and off so useful.

if they think I'm a cop.....good

Dayglow or what last night in the rain :D

afxfx55_hi_vis_helmet_detail.jpg
ICON_pdx_shell_hiviz_yellowLG.jpg

Last edited:
Just came back from a 2,700 km 5 day jaunt through the Smokies from Toronto.
The AFX-55 worked very well throughout.

Extremely quiet with -33 ear plugs in.
Visor a tad hard to open with gloves but that will likely be better.

Settled on the bottom configuration for touring with no visor as being the quietest.

afxfx55_hi_vis_helmet_zoom.jpg

Very comfortable even with 12 hour days and not bad getting on and off.
I tended to run with sunglasses and both visors up in good weather...then I broke the arm of the ( cheap ) sunglasses and went with the sunvisor only and really liked not having anything parked on my nose.
Sunvisor is smooth in operation.

I got some marks on the visor - not sure when - does not seem as hard a material as the Bell but both the sunvisor and the visor cleaned up well with soapy water then microfibre.

In a deluge it was fine in 10 degree and lower weather

My only issue is I cannot get my earphones to seal well in it....still working on that.
Overall I think it's better than the Bell Mag8 I was using.
The field of view with the chin bar on is excellent - cannot see it at all....few fumble moments as I tried to eat or drink ....( it can be done ).

When the visor clamps to the chin bar completely it is very quiet at speed but can fog.
Cracking it eliminated the fog.

Quietest was with the visor up - sunvisor up or down did not make any difference in sound but also quiet was visor full down..

I really like the quick disconnect chin strap.
Interior fabric is very comfortable.
WIth my matching Icon jacket I sure of being seen even in foggy, rainy weather...a big plus.
The yellow really stands out.

recommended. Excellent value for money

I didn't realize you actually owned it - any chance you could post the ECE certification number?

ECE 22.05 on the sticker

Features:
-Aerodynamic shell design constructed of advanced poly-alloy plastic for lightweight strength
-Helmet can be configured one of seven different ways
-Clear coat finish to protect paint and graphics
-Hypo-allergenic, anti-microbial nylon liner and cheek pads are removable and washable
-Ear cavities for speakers (Communication System or MP3 player)
-A flip up, flush fit, quick release, single turn screw facshield; the shield itself is curved, optically correct compound, which is scratch resistant and protects against UV rays
-Smoke tinted inner flip down shield with left side slide lever
-10 points of ventilation with chin, side, forehead, top and rear vents
-Retention system is quick release with sewn in ECE logo
-Deluxe carrying bag
-DOT and ECE 22.05 certified

ECE R22-05 – Developed by the rather lengthily named United Nations Economic Commission for Europe, this is the most common helmet certification internationally, required by over 50 countries worldwide. It is approved for all competition events by AMA, WERA, FIM, CCS, Formula USA and the big one – MotoGP. It, much like the DOT standard, favours a more impact-absorbent helmet allowing a maximum of 275g’s (the ECE R22-05 anvil is either flat or “kerb shaped” depending on the test). The ECE R22-05 is arguably the most up-to-date helmet certification standard, it’s wide use in a variety of high-level motorcycle racing classes is reassuring to many. The ECE R22-05 has more in common with the DOT standard than either the Snell M2005 or M2010 standard, an ECE R22-05 certified helmet are likely to pass the DOT test and vice-versa.

good site that is from

http://silodrome.com/snell-vs-dot-vs-ece-r22-05-helmet-standards-throwdown/

Good enough for MotoGP - good enough for me :D

Last edited:
i just got this helmet LS2 scape. i have returned two mag 9 within the last year for factory defects, so far this one superscedes them and price under 120 at Canadas Motorcycle

Are ECE 22.05 and ECE R22-05 different standards?

Good question .....apparently the R just stands for Regulation

SummaryIf you’re not comfortable with a helmet that only meets the US Government DOT standard, what do you look for? Historically, American riders have looked for a Snell label but the world is getting smaller and we now have other viable alternatives. The ECE 22.05 standard is used in over 50 European countries, including Germany, a country known for taking a hard line on personal protection.
Helmets certified to the ECE 22.05 standard are approved for competition events by AMA, CCS, FIM, Formula-USA and WERA and are chosen by nearly every professional motorcycle racers competing in world championship road racing, motocross and off road events, including the ultimate sport of Moto GP. Helmets that are certified to both DOT and ECE 22.05 offer the highest level of realistic protection with the added benefit of light weight for day-long comfort and rider performance.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/ece-22-05.htm

MacDoc, I understand the standard is ECE 22.05, but there should be a number on the helmet somewhere that corresponds to that ECE certification for that exact helmet. It will start with an N... I feel like it might be on one of the chinstraps, but I'm not sure about that.

Seems pretty solid to me. Seems an odd exception.

As of 2008, there have not been wide scientific studies of modular helmets to assess how protective the pivoting or removable chin bars are.

Observation and unofficial testing suggest that significantly greater protection exists beyond that for an open face helmet, and may be enough to pass full-face helmet standardized tests,
[SUP][9][/SUP] but the extent of protection is not fully established by all standards bodies.

The DOT standard does not require chin bar testing. The Snell Memorial Foundation recently certified a flip-up helmet for the first time.[SUP][10][/SUP][SUP][11][/SUP]

ECE 22.05 allows certification of modular helmets with or without chin bar tests, distinguished by
-P (protective lower face cover) and -NP (non-protective) suffixes to the certification number,[SUP][12][/SUP] and additional warning text for non-certified chin bars.[SUP][13][/SUP]

So we really do not know any more than the helmet is up to MotoGP standards and the chin bar is not certified and may never have been presented for certification.

Last edited:
It has to pass the safety tests and the motocross guys fall way more than us street pussies.

Is it SNELL approved? Most convertibles arn't.

Ooops should have read the whole thread first..........

Kinda cool design but heavier and more expensive than the AFX-55
I do like that flip back design over my old convertible where the whole thing flips up - mind you - it's a nice sun shade which is how I wear it most often.

I found my Shark FF was really tight on the cheeks....looks like this might be as well.

Shark-Evoline-3-W1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom