A truly convertible helmet | GTAMotorcycle.com

A truly convertible helmet

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Well I won't be missed stopped along the road taking pictures. :D

afxfx55_hi_vis_helmet_detail.jpg

got tired of white tho I do look like a cop with white bike and helmet and Icon Hiviz yellow the jacket if it's chilly. Buddy in Aus wears one and does it ever stand out....not fashipon plate for sure but oh my is it visible.

Least the helmet will match the Icon rain jacket and that's when the viz is critical.

Kinda cool design as it's both closed face and open face as you wish - 7 different set ups .

afxfx55_hi_vis_helmet_zoom.jpg

and much lighter than my convertible =weighs no more than the Bell Mag 8, better cooling and the option to put a chin bar on.

I find my current helmet difficult to shoot the Gx7 while wearing. Some ergonomic changed from the Gx1.

Will be good in Aus as well - I like the long sunshade bill ( the Mag8 is similar ) and with teh big windscreen on the Burgman there is no lift.

I like choices

AFX FX-55 Hi-Vis Helmet
The AFX FX55 Helmet is truly modular and can be used in seven different configurations. The FX-55 is the essence of what a modular helmet can be, combining the best of fullface, dirt and open face helmets.
Features:

• Aerodynamic shell design constructed using an advanced lightweight composite poly-alloy
  • Helmet can be configured one of seven different ways:
    • Helmet with standard visor, shield, and chin bar (standard configuration)
    • Helmet with standard visor and shield
    • Helmet with shield and chin bar
    • Helmet with shield
    • Helmet with standard visor
    • Helmet with short visor
    • Helmet with MX vent chin bar and standard visor
  • Flip-up, flush fit, quick release, single turn screw face shield
  • Shield is optically correct compound curved, scratch-resistant and protects against UV-rays
  • Smoke tinted inner flip down sun shield system with left side slide lever
  • Helmet liner and cheek pads made with a hypoallergenic and antimicrobial nylon, all of which are removable and washable
  • 10 points of ventilation with chin, side, forehead top and rear vents
  • Retention system is quick release with sewn on ECE logo
  • Provides ample ear cavity space for most speaker systems
  • Clear coat finish to protect paint & graphics
  • Limited Lifetime Warranty

Holy crap! That's pretty much the helmet I've always wanted!

And the price - is that real? I'm seeing $150 on most US websites.

In fact that's cheap enough that I'm kinda worried about quality - even my mediocre HJC helmet cost more than that. That thing isn't made from styrofoam and housepaint is it?

Watch the video - they'be been around a long time and of course are all safety standard compliant.
Guy I respect very highly has used AFX for years and really likes this break through design. He's a in the bike business and values his head.
My Bell is good value too but no where near the tech of this. He says his AFX is quieter than the Bell ( most open face are quieter than any full face ).

In many ways the off road guys are ahead of road gear and and armor - they actually fall off lots and there is a huge market compared to road riders.

This thing is light too.

Not a review of this but general AFX review series

BackgroundThis is the fourth in our five-part review series on the 2011 AFX helmet lineup. This time, we're looking at the AFX FX-90, the least expensive full-face helmet made by AFX in 2011.
The FX-90 is the sentimental favorite of the bunch, because it's an unpretentious helmet that offers huge value for the money. The list price ranges from $75.00 for solid colors to $85.00 for graphics and it would be very difficult to get much more helmet for less money anywhere.
This goes double when you consider that AFX is a well-established name brand and the helmets are backed by a 5-year warranty, parts availability and a free accident replacement policy.
All of the AFX helmets for 2011 are an outstanding value, making it difficult to choose a favorite.
One more interesting tidbit to note before we get started is this: the FX-90 is available in an extended size range, from XS all the way up to XXL. But if you're in search of magnum sizes, the FX-Magnus extends the FX-90 range -- it's basically the FX-90 but with a hand-laid fiberglass shell.
The FX-Magnus is the AFX "big head" helmet offering, available in XXXL and XXXXL (that's 3XL and 4XL!) and it will soon become available in more than just plain black; see the recent news release from AFX we just published that describes all the new colors and graphics for the 2012 AFX helmets.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/afx-fx-90/

Too much of the helmet price these days is tied up in advertising instead of materials and features.
These guys don't go that way and have a very large line of gear.

That was from 2011 and my guy says he's owned them for years.

Many people don't like the MX look - I don't care and this one is configurable....

Awesome concept, I find the chin protection / screw reliability a little sketchy though.

There are many flip helmets that do the same thing unless you need the motocross look or effect.
Roof, shark,schuberth, etc..

BB

Thx Doc.

Hope you like it.
D

I've yet to see a convertible helmet at 3 lb and a bit nor one anywhere close to the price. I already own a convertible. Only the Lazer Monaco is lighter and it's $500 US for carbon fibre without the flexible configuration this offers.

If a helmet meets standards and gets good reviews for quality the cheaper the better. These guys have been around for a long time.

I have no interest in looks of a helmet at all beyond this for visibility. I do ride off road in high sun in Aus and the shade helps from the motocross beak - but nice to have the multiple options including an internal sunshade - something that I've wished for at times.
We'll see how the chin bar is for touring. If it's noisy it won't be worn.....if it's quieter than the Bell I'll be very pleased and aparently has excellent ventilation.
One thing that does concern me is getting it on with the chin bar in place as I wear earphones and makes it tough to expand enough to get over them.

In nasty weather I'll just be a mobile sunbeam and then they will REALLY think I'm a cop and clear the way. :D

afxfx55_hi_vis_helmet_detail.jpg

ICON_pdx_shell_hiviz_yellowLG.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure about AFX brand, never researched them, but I will guess at its cheap price point, they are a made in China brand and AFX probably hasn't spent the most money in R&D, and quality materials.

I believe the Nolan N43 Trilogy is a similar concept, high quality, and made in Italy.

http://www.nolanhelmets.com/n43trilogyncom.htm

Similar tho no off road peak. Not quite so glaring
n43trilogyncom13.jpg

• Ready for N-COM communication system.
  • Crossover design with quick-change accessories allows for customized look and functions for every ride.
  • Includes clear shield, integrated sun shield, peak and removable chinbar.
  • GE Lexan[SUP]®[/SUP] chinbar is EPS lined; mounted with b stainless-steel latches, it passes the test for full-face helmets of the European standard ECE-2205.
  • Fully removable and washable interior on snaps and tabs is antibacterial, antifungal, and wicking.
  • Quick-change shield is optically correct and fitted in an exceptionally large eyeport. It accepts the Pinlock[SUP]®[/SUP] antifog insert (sold separately).
  • Microlock[SUP]®[/SUP] (adjustable quick-release) retention system.
  • Internal Sunscreen - short dark shield mounted on inside of the shell and moving independently from the clear shield with external operation.
  • Top vent with rear exhaust grid, and shield vent (Note: top vents are smaller than European counterparts to meet DOT requirements).
  • DOT approved.

Not a bad price either at $199 US.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nolan-n43-trilogy-motorrad-helmet
Big discount

•••

This was useful - not sure how current tho

Helmet weights which are sometimes hard to find.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-weights.htm

Mag 8 is 3 lb 3oz. and that helmet works for me for quiet and weight and the shield.
2011-Bell-Mag-8-Helmet-Pearl-White.jpg

Shield slides up into the visor.
There is no lifting with this so I'm pretty confident of the AFX-55 in that regard.

Last edited:
The peak is what interests me. I've been looking for a long time for what's essentially a fullface with a peak - I can't use the helmets with the integrated sunshade because they're usually close enough in to conflict with my glasses.

Traditional motocross is an option (I take the visors out of my full-faces), but they tend to be large and heavy and I hate the giant extra chin knob they all seem to have.

I bought the afx-39 and found that they fit a bit large. The face shield does not distort like some others do. The bugger is noisy, but a goto for really hot weather. They leave such a large cavity over the ears that my Scala speakers need shims for adequate sound quality.

The visor is vented enough that on a naked DR650E I didn't get my head torn off by shoulder checking. And at about 130 dollars shipped it had proved to be worth the money.
One problem with the helmet lining is a rough mesh texture under the ear lobes so on a tour, I actually ripped my ear lobes bloody by on and off.

I'd look at this helmet as I'm impressed with my AFX-39 and it's overall performance. I was wearing it around town tonight.

Oh the chin strap was a mile too long and had to be trimmed to fit.

Thanks for feedback.
I wear a balaclava so that should deal with rough lining and perhaps slight fit issue.
RevZilla is great for returns.

I have good earplugs and earphones and I'm behind a big screen - if it's as quiet as the Bell I'm happy. ( truly quieter that most cars with the earphones or earplugs in ....just a gentle burble at all but 130+
If as noisy as my convertible - back it goes.

I'd like an option to wear heavier warmth under the helmet in cool or wet so slight large is okay ( my Bell is a tad as well ). I get a headache if too tight a fit.
If the hood of the Icon jacket will fit under the helmet....big time bonus to keep neck dry.
I wish some of the jackets had thin waterproof hoods just for that reason....instead they seem to have standard type hoods which bunch under the helmet.

Saw a cool balaclava that was waterproof as well. Have to chase that down again.

Here it is

Last edited:
130364f.jpg

REV'IT!'s Amazon GTX® Balaclava fits easily under your helmet and over your jacket, to keep water from puddling down your neck.

All GORE-TEX® products ensure water from the outside will not get in, cold winds won't pass through, but your perspiration vapor will easily escape. So, you stay dry and comfortable in a wide range of conditions and activities.

Last edited:
Awesome concept, I find the chin protection / screw reliability a little sketchy though.

It has to pass the safety tests and the motocross guys fall way more than us street pussies.

It has to pass the safety tests and the motocross guys fall way more than us street pussies.

Hahaha! That's the honest truth.

So is this really a dual sport modular flip up?! Revzilla had more information on it than i could find on the afx helmets site! They also clarified and said the larger fit of the 39 was fixed in the 41 model.

If is is a flip up, I want one!

Where is the video you referred to?

There is a provision for ECE 22.05 helmets to basically take a bye on the chinbar actually doing anything - The certification number will start with NP instead of P. I am trying to find more information on the particulars of this helmet.

On the Revzilla but it's not for this model which is not yet out.

It's not a flip up - it's a convertible. You have the choice of a chin bar or not which takes away the ponderous hinge.
01041267J.jpg

01041267H.jpg

Mini Visor and sunshade for the trip to the store.
101713_AFX_Version.jpg

Last edited:
There is a provision for ECE 22.05 helmets to basically take a bye on the chinbar actually doing anything - The certification number will start with NP instead of P. I am trying to find more information on the particulars of this helmet.

Let us know if you find anything - that's a pretty significant exemption.

Thanks!

I wish some of the jackets had thin waterproof hoods just for that reason....instead they seem to have standard type hoods which bunch under the helmet.

The Tour Master Defender has such a hood. Works as advertised.

Tour-Master-Sentinel-LE-Rain-Jacket-Helmet-Hood.jpg

Hahaha! That's the honest truth.

So is this really a dual sport modular flip up?! Revzilla had more information on it than i could find on the afx helmets site! They also clarified and said the larger fit of the 39 was fixed in the 41 model.

If is is a flip up, I want one!

Where is the video you referred to?

I'm thinking of ordering this online. While not DOT, the Caberg Tourmax is a flip up.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g0RtFCbGYw

caberg-tourmax1.jpg

caberg-tourmax-with-visor-open.jpg

Back
Top Bottom