A truly convertible helmet | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

A truly convertible helmet

I wonder why the testing of these chin guards isn't more important to these companies. Statistically, it is the most likely place you will hit:

icon-airframe-statistic-left-292x300.jpg

I do use a modular helmet though, and although I am sure it is not as safe as a true fullface, I image any force will push the modular chin bar in, not open it up, so I am still afforded some protection. When I ride in the dirt and am much more likely to crash I wear a full motocross helmet.

The chart is a bit misleading as the 3/4 come much farther forward than that line down the centre.

Bell_MAG-8.jpg

I've fallen in dirt and never once had a mouthful with a 3/4 on.

The tendency is to turn your head and take on the cheek plate which is why I think the number is so high.

Last edited:
You may be right, or maybe not... it doesn't really matter, it is your face so do what you want.

Here is where the image came from and the opinion behind it: http://www.mc-ams.co.uk/blog/icon-airframe-statistic-headgear-safety-conscious/

[h=1]The Icon Airframe Statistic: Headgear For The Safety Conscious[/h]Posted August 26, 2014. Filed under Articles.
IconAirframe1-291x300.jpg
If you’ve ever wondered where you would most be likely to sustain a head injury from a motorcycle accident (aside from the obvious ‘your head’ answer) then let this helmet answer all of your questions. Earlier this year, Icon unveiled their Airframe Statistichelmet, which illustrates where the damage is likely to occur for a head injury in an interesting and mildly unsettling way.
It’s sleek, black design is nicely divided up into equal portions that show where the majority of trauma is sustained with handy percentages supported by evidence from the aptly named US study from 1999 called the Hurt Report. You might be thinking that the Hurt Report is only based on US statistics, a country with notorious flexibility when it comes to helmet law but the results have been corroborated with a similar EU study known as the MAIDS Report from 2000, with a more updated report from 2005.
Helmet laws within the UK are tightly regulated and wearing anything deemed to be below par can land you with a slap on the wrist from the local law enforcement but that doesn’t mean that all the helmets on the market can offer you 100% protection, as you can clearly see here.
If you’re new to motorcycling and you’re not sure about helmets, you should ensure that your lid is approved and stamped with a BSI Kite Mark or the European ECE22.05 sticker (and find out more here); the problem is, as you can see here, is that these stamps and stickers appear on half-face helmets, which aren’t going to offer you any protection at all in the event of a crash…if you land face first.
[h=3]What It Means[/h]
OpenFace-300x256.jpg
So what does this helmet mean for you? With a bit of luck, it shouldn’t affect you at all but it is interesting to see how the damage is distributed and where the trouble spots lie. If you’ve ever considered wearing an open-face helmet, it may be time to think again.
According to the Hurt Report, the area around the chin is the most likely place to sustain an injury; both segments from the front-left and front-right are clearly marked with a nice 19.4% and 15.2% to illustrate this point, the highest percentages from the entire helmet study.
Despite the evidence, there are many motorcycling advocates that are lobbying for a change to the helmet laws and challenging the All The Gear, All The Time mentality but surely wearing a helmet, open faced or closed is better than none at all?
One popular argument supporting open face helmets comes from a few medical authorities who argue that it’s much easier to administer CPR and other life-saving treatments in an emergency situation. The downside to that, of course, is that if an accident is severe enough to require resuscitation, then wearing a full face helmet probably protected the necessary facial regions that receive the treatment in the first place. Simply put, it’s hard to stick an oxygen mask on someone with half of their face missing.
The simple, yet often neglected compromise is to invest in a flip-up helmet, the kind that motorcycle police officers and paramedics wear; it’s the best of both worlds.
[h=3]What is the HURT Report?[/h]Despite being an outdated report, the HURT report is still regarded as the ‘most comprehensive motorcycle safety study of the 20th century’ and as such was once regarded as the foremost authority on the causes of motorcycling related accidents and the injuries caused to riders involved. The major causes of accidents were often found to be other motorist’s fault, primarily car drivers failing to see an approaching motorcycle and violating the rider’s right of way.
With results like that, even if you’re the best rider in the world, being involved in an accident may well be out of your hands and wearing the best gear available is the best and only way to protect yourself. Further studies from other researchers affiliated with the HURT Report have revealed even more evidence that should convince you to wear a full-face helmet all the time, such as this interesting quote from Dexter Ford (the US journalist and motorcycling authority who lost his job after writing an interesting expose on helmets): ‘If you’re hit very violently on the jaw, as in a head-on impact, the force can be transmitted to the base of the skull, which can fracture and sever your spine.’ He then goes on to write about the knock-on effects, including how facial impact (unsurprisingly) is a major cause of the majority of motorcycle related deaths due to the fact that your brain collides with your skull and the smaller, sharper bones on the inside of your head that can lead to severe brain damage.
[h=3]The Helmet ‘Hurt’ Areas:[/h]Leaving the obvious behind, let’s look at this helmet and the areas that it covers and the percentages in full:
HurtReport1.jpg
Isn’t it interesting to see that the least common point of impact is the very top of the helmet? 0.4% on both sides of the cap is a very low statistic, especially when compared with the huge 19.4% and 15.2% of the jaw and that’s not even including the visor areas of 5.5% and 4.4%. If you combine those numbers, you’re left with a whopping 44.5%; almost half of the motorcycling accidents studied in the report suffered trauma to these areas, so maybe it’s time to hang up the half-face for good and always play it safe with the full-face?
[h=3]The Bottom Line[/h]While it’s a great illustrative tool, the helmet isn’t likely to change the mind of die hard ‘open face’ wearers and let’s be honest, you’re unlikely to be travelling at ultra-sonic speeds with an open face on, are you? Unless you’ve developed a taste for bugs and a masochistic love for the sting that accompanies them, that is…
And here at McAMS, we’re yet to see a novelty helmet that can top this one; we prefer helmets that can educate as well as save lives, as opposed to those ones that make your head look like a breast or buttock. Because those just aren’t cool, useful or funny. You’ve got the freedom to choose what style and shape of helmet you wear but please make your decision wisely.
If you’re interested in the Icon Airframe Statistic and want to know more about it, check out their website here.

It really should be refined as it's comparing a 1/2 half helmet to a FF not a 3/4 to a FF.

the problem is, as you can see here, is that these stamps and stickers appear on half-face helmets,

An Australian study showed the level of gear worn did not have a major influence on fatal accident outcomes. It's the not fatal accidents that gear helps.

FF "may" help on a come off but having come off on dirt at modest speeds I've never face planted.
The AFX-55 has some chin protection. It'll do me.

It's too bad they did not refine that image as clearly they had the data but chose to use half face as a reference point leaving a lot of questions.

I gotta think a 3/4 is more protection than a flip-up worn up.
he simple, yet often neglected compromise is to invest in a flip-up helmet, the kind that motorcycle police officers and paramedics wear; it’s the best of both worlds.

After too many years in a Bell Star I've had enough of full face.

Star%20Classic%20New%202012%20Helmet.jpg

Longer term follow-up.
Really like the helmet - comfie and stable at speed...no jittering around...

Tips.

Be a bit careful with the internal visor slider ....hard to move at times and best to do by grabbing the visor internally once you get it down enough to grab it.
Fairly easy to clean.
External visor is easy to take on and off for cleaning BUT.....put some non-hardening Lock-Tite on it or risk this

DUCT TAPE!!!!...a must take along touring...here's why

Screen%252520Shot%2525202015-06-13%252520at%252520Jun%25252C%25252013%252520%252520%252520%2525202015%252520%252520%252520%2525208.50.30%252520PM.jpg

At the worst possible time....kid is hypothermic far far from any stop....the screw system holding the visor system on the AFX-55 sails away in the cross wind...backed itself out....so I'm riding one handed for 40 km .....hand in the cold rain holding the thing together til we hit a convenience store .....kid inhaled anything warm he could find and shivered in the corner....I did ugly with duct tape.

The visor works fine - inner and outer.

Screen%252520Shot%2525202015-06-13%252520at%252520Jun%25252C%25252013%252520%252520%252520%2525202015%252520%252520%252520%2525208.50.42%252520PM.jpg

Kudos to AFX for sending two free replacements to meet us in Nanaimo

A friend had the same issue with a convertible helmet. Not sure which brand though.

He had it come apart during a ride, while on an extended trip. He ended up taking it back for a different model.

I'm not sure I'd want to trust a helmet like that with my life in a crash situation.

I have a modular and a full face with the sun visor, so I think I'll give this idea a wide berth until the bugs are worked out.

What idea is that ??

No one is pretending it's any more protection than a 3/4 which I normally wear and any visor can malfunction. There was no "safety issue".
The chin piece anchors the large visor and can be removed easily. It's not there for chin protection.

The design issue is not using an aircraft style thread to prevent the fastener from vibrating loose.
It's a flexible, comfortable helmet for $150....serves my purposes well.

Flip-ups are too heavy, awkward and noisy and I'll give FF a pass entirely.

I see Nolan is out with a convertible as well

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/02/11/five-fast-facts-nolan-n-43e-trilogy-helmet/

Last edited:
Long term followup on the AFX-55 helmet

Bought the Helmet in June 2014 and been very pleased with the value for money and durability. I ride year round either in Australia or North America and it's been to both coasts and used pretty much daily. Visors are durable and low cost to replace and helmet has really held up well considering the price.
I generally ride with the chin bar in place a no visor. Sun visor mechanism continues to work well. Highly recommended. It's light and quiet ( stuffing the speaker pockets with sound absorbing material works the charm.)
Like the hi-Viz choices. I think with the wide angle of vision it's a good option for those that use a 3/4 ( I used to) but want a bit of chin protection. It is not a FF helmet and is very easy to get on and off even with earphones in.

r5jhnrmqmMRdWcJ8ovXLCqiBm3-kenog0caaL8WtPliB5EChjG7G4FdSG3ZrvMdlPDhOWGdPwYVQXAavAq-6J0a_zYsDW56kYLkwbbu8QP74Fmx8_vWE5kNuWGY859qU5AwcTGg6-D21rG0MMvNg5egwqEo4vKseO0zOq3e2DKFpvv2yqPuv_YCOGxWygOvK2yKLI_vS4d00_2SHQ8qeLktQgEDunWO0MN3aT5KAwD-vR-4vbhAkxfT7FmCYk-mYvx7l1AepTjxumPl7KWJcTcD5URfUkA5Eld7rdBC6VW8sPccK9AAsMnj4QKZEiW2b37tGxZxWonxXhNagmq-Px4_ChMhkd-aVn0GDb0Q0J_Cme956AZkWxXdS4gwmoxXP1CVBx8oBlC8aGtxy1EmTw4_-_VQHe2jisEu9jgkfotsK442a0Kb5Yzm9A0ZzB8l8wpn4fRSp1R03NK7W-sDomfKrtZmwG9FGh3XBxmjEFpFzaFCjyiYoh7ClqWubam5l1toP--t3zJT2j-ggsGjOxCSwWGledfQsrQ4G55jXalYPiibX8axNmZ__xUOVsLKw6X98GnrrqVlUOmK2gLnKPSBAReO_AFf4AgNgG2tGgB8mXCZiBKfhtA=w1028-h1838-no

Lost one of the large screws that hold the visor in place on the the BC trip....duct taped in place and the company replaced it for the cost of shipping to Namaimo. Can't ask for better service especially on a low cost lid. :D

Oh yeah ....the SENA 20 speakers stay in place very well and sit close enough to your ears to be easily heard.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom