Lifes2short....Ride the World | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lifes2short....Ride the World

If Cape Breton is next see if you can beat the long weekend traffic and hit Meat Cove.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractio...Meat_Cove-Cape_Breton_Island_Nova_Scotia.html

There is camping and whale watching.
http://www.oshan.ca/oshan_whale_watch_012.htm
One of my pics used to be the header on the site. We were in the area for 3 weeks and great memories.

http://www.oshan.ca/oshan_whale_watch_009.htm

It's a fascinating bit of Canada with 3 distinct cultures as you loop the island. If the weather is off it can get wicked on the North West corner but lovely views.
That is considered tundra
Screenshot2012-06-04atJun42012102934PM.jpg

this tree is perhaps 300 yrs old
Screenshot2012-06-04atJun42012104443PM.jpg

yet in the valley behind is a Carolinina Forest 1,000 km north of where it should be. SO try and time your visit for some decent warmth- I gotta guess the Gulf of St. Lawrence is still very cold after that unusual winter.
Cape Breton is a busted off bit of Africa....much fun to explore on an open timetable.

Our last loop around the Cabot (in July) we saw pretty much every type of weather but snow. It's spectacular out here but I think Lori is getting a bit tired of the cold. We're actually in NFLD now and it's a gorgeous crisp day, about 10C. While I'd love to spend a bit more time on Cape Breton, it will really depend of the weather once we're back. For now, we're on the search for icebergs and whales...

Last edited:
There ya go - been there...
Good luck on whale hunt and looking fprward to NL pics
On our bucket list

Gross Morne park is gorgeous. I was there in rain- 2 days out of 3. I need to revisit to see the viking settlement.

Have you seen a Moose, never saw one in NFLD but saw a ton in Cape Brenton.

No moose yet. We did see one in NB a couple of years ago and of course there was a black bear at the side of the TCH in NB this trip. But I have a feeling we'll see a moose or two here.

Last edited:
A view from the back of the bike

The first three weeks; a view from the back of the bike (written by Lori)

The first three weeks have been both exciting and trying. To be honest there have been a few moments of envy when we've been camping near RV's. There have even been a couple of conversations around the idea of moving up to more luxurious accommodation in the future. Yes, I'm a princess. I fully admit to this. I like the finer things in life. Things like warmth, a bed, clean clothes, a clean bathroom....a bathroom. The kinds of things one might find in a home or even a traveling home. I'm not fond of bugs or Arachnids or just about anything with more than 4 legs for that matter (except caterpillars and butterflies, they're ok).

"So what the heck am I doing on the back of this darned motorcycle" you ask? I love the smells, the views, the feeling of the wind, the closeness with nature and Mark. I love the adventure of it. And let me tell you, it's already been an adventure.

In 3 weeks we have gone well over 5000 km. We have traveled from Ontario through Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and have just started our trek through Newfoundland. We've almost dropped the bike twice. Once while on a ferry, with it stopped and with me on it (total amateur move on our part). The second was on a gravel road where someone decided to put a sandbox just for fun. Mark did a great job of keeping us and the bike upright. We have almost run out of gas twice...... This I have nothing much to say about except "You have one job!!!!" All in good fun of course. We do have someone looking out for us though or we would not have made it 40ish km when it said 23 till empty.

This was taken just moments before our first almost nap. See how leaned over it was?

The scenery has been amazing but that's not a surprise. The east coast has always been one of our favourite areas to explore. We are so happy we have been able to do it more justice this time than on previous trips. We have seen a fully grown black bear on the wrong side of the animal fencing along the highway and let's not forget the fox, groundhogs, skunk and countless turtles along the way. Of course there was the duck who decided it wanted to play chicken for a while. Awkward!! Luckily we have only seen a few deer from a distance and no moose, elk, reindeer or abominable snowmen. Yet.

We have met some pretty awesome people already. A good example is just leaving Tim Hortons and having a couple stop to chat, then another person comes up and another. Soon you're having a full on love fest right there. It's amazing and not something we are overly accustomed to in southern Ontario where saying hi will get you weird looks and possibly a psych evaluation if you happen to be on a Toronto subway at the time. In fact any stop at a food establishment seems to bring on at least one good conversation. We may have to start planning these longer stops into our day so we can plan on less distance. I'm not sure Mark will go for that though. We will have to start taking pictures of these encounters.

We are already less hurried than ever before. Of course it's still been a struggle for each of us and to be honest a little difficult between us to get our mojo going. It's actually difficult to have all the time in the world and then decide what to do with it. It's far too easy to let that time slip through your fingers and suddenly you feel like you've wasted so much. We have always worked well together and do our best communicating when we get into a daily rhythm. That's been a new challenge even for us. We are both dealing with our extreme change of lifestyle in our own way and although we each understand the other it is adding a level of stress we haven't experienced before. Mark has been very patient and accommodating with my whims but I can tell it's taking it's toll. I do feel that I'm starting to warm up to the more rustic elements of the trip. The list of things I really hate is shrinking. I'm mostly down to; being cold, mosquitoes and dark, buggy bathrooms. Otherwise, with the exception of being female with all that encompasses, missing the kids terribly as well as the rest of our family and friends and any of the million other things that may bother me on any given day, I'm pretty good to go. Rain isn't my favourite but as long as it isn't combined with either cold or mosquitoes I'd be ok with it now.

I'm not the only one missing things.

Our set up and take down routine is becoming a well oiled machine. We are getting everything set up in about 15-20 minutes. Takedown is a little longer at about 45 minutes, but that includes packing the bike. I'm pretty happy about that. It gives us a little exercise in the morning before we eat and gets us warmed up too. It no longer seems like the chore it was a couple of weeks ago. We've also basically found a home for everything on the bike so putting it back is much easier and faster than it was to start with. We have both commented about how it seems like our stuff is taking up less room than it did 3 weeks ago. We have definitely found ways to pack some things smaller like the tent and sleeping bags for example. This adds just an inch here and there to make a significant difference in how everything goes together. I wonder if my hair dryer will fit now?? KIDDING!!

It took almost 2 hours for us to pack up in the morning at our first campsite. I'm surprised the mosquitoes didn't just carry the tent off in that time.

The bike has been great with the exception of the tire we had to replace. I was pretty nervous of this motorcycle to begin with. When we left on May 18th it was only the third time I had actually been on this particular bike. It's very different than our ST1300. I sit much higher and there isn't as much room for me as the Honda had. I can feel that it's top heavy as well and this was making me a little uneasy knowing the extra work Mark has to do to keep it up especially in gravel or sand and fully loaded. Over all I like how it feels now. My foot position is better than our old bike making it easier for me to push off the pegs when we go over uneven (translate-bus eating) ground or potholes. It seems to do better on the bumpy stuff for me on the back. Mark doesn't feel this but I definitely prefer this suspension. I do tend to get more wind and rain on this bike though. We have discovered when it's raining that my back gets completely covered in road mess. I'm usually wet and filthy when we stop, so we will eventually look at getting a mud guard or something to help with that. Now that we've managed to put down some miles we are both feeling much more comfortable with the bike overall.

Just don't ask me to turn around. It's definitely messy back there.

We've been humbled many times over already. Humbled by the weather that has been extra cold and rainy for this time of year. Humbled by the difficulties with our gear choices which we are still in the process of sorting out. Humbled by our two near bike naps. We've definitely been humbled by a few broken things along the way namely a tire and the iPad that had its own dirt nap. Most of all we have been humbled by the generosity of our friends both old and new and by the beauty we have seen and experienced already in such a short distance. We've been down east before but it still rates very high in the beautiful places to go. Not just the scenery but the people are amazing. I'm very happy with the way this adventure is starting to unfold.

Re: A view from the back of the bike

We hoped to get out to Brier Island in the morning but it was still foggy and weather was scheduled to move in by 11am so we decided to keep trucking. We sort of backtracked a bit to Digby for breakfast and made a plan to head south and across NS. I say sort of because it was actually the only way for us to go. We're aiming for Lunenburg tonight where Lori found some nice looking (at least online) accommodations. Atlantic view motel, right on the ocean, excellent views, even had pet bunnies.

Next morning we awoke to more rain and decided to stay an extra day. Our newly Ikea appointed queen room was already booked that night so we moved a few doors down to a more rustic cottage style room with a kitchenette.
In the morning we hiked into town for breakfast and to have a wander around. It was nice to use some good old fashioned foot power for a change. We spent most of the morning walking around town in fact. Lunenburg is a very beautiful, typical coastal town with lots of multi colored buildings and gorgeous old houses. There is no such thing as cookie cutter around these here parts. Every home is full of detail, character and style. We both really enjoy places like this. The rain eventually tapered off and I was tempted to hit the road again.

On the way into town we found the Bluenose II, apparently not sea worthy. Definitely picture worthy.

Ok so some of the boats need a little work.

Beautiful B&B that we didn't stay at...

Time for a drink.

Back at the motel we found more toys to play with, they were super friendly.

A little blue goes a long way on a cloudy day.

Sure puts a smile on my face.

I have to admit that traveling as a couple involves some compromise. There have been days when we get up and I would like to go but Lori doesn't. We try to talk about this sort of stuff out over the comm units while we ride, it helps keep us from getting too grumpy with each other. Communication is key! The compromise isn't only between us however. I find that there is compromise every day almost, in that we can't spend as much time as we'd like in every place we visit. When we talked about this before the trip, we envisioned staying a few days or longer, where ever we came across somewhere we wanted to spend more time in. And although we have done this a little bit, there's this strange and invisible force pushing us forth, we both feel it.

The next morning I communicated to my beautiful wife that we were leaving ;). We had a fairly short ride to Peggy's Cove. A very beautiful spot but very sad story of Swiss Air flight 111 crashing just a few miles off the coast here back in 1998. The aircraft struck the ocean nose first at a reported speed of 555km/h with a force of 350g, which caused the aircraft to completely disintegrate. The search and recovery operation went on till December of 1999, by which time 98% of the plane (279,000lbs of aircraft debris and 40,000lbs of cargo) had been retrieved. Ultimately it was faulty wiring which caused a fire that was blamed.

Today was beautiful and sunny day but crazy windy which made the 14 degrees feel more like 4. I was reluctant to leave to bike in the parking lot fearing it would blow over, it was gusting that hard. We would have spent more time exploring the giant rock formations but even with our puffy jackets under our motorcycle gear, we were cold. Our next stop was Halifax. Feeling like we've dragged our wheels a bit already this trip, we essentially only did a drive-by downtown, only stopping for a drink to warm up. Halifax is another city we would like to come back and spend a day or two in. Incidentally, today marks three weeks on the road. Didn’t I just write that it's been two? Wow, that last week seems to have really blown by.

I looked back in the mirrors today and the bags strapped to the side cases seem to be getting smaller. Like Lori said, we're managing to pack our stuff more efficiently and every little bit helps. Our first week, it was the exact opposite. Every time we packed up, there was seemingly less space than the day before. After a few weeks, we've managed to move things around so we have better access to things we need more often and have been better able to utilize all the nooks and crannies in our cases. Things feel like they are flowing again for us, our Chi seems to be back. We knew it would happen eventually but it's a good feeling none the less.

We camped out at Murphy's on the ocean campground that night, beautiful little spot. They offer all sorts of day trips on the boat and will even take you over to an island if you're in the mood for a really secluded & primitive camping experience. They have a big camp fire with free mussels, entertainment and rumoured cribbage lessons. I was looking forward to said lessons but the cold and windy day left us tuckered out and we essentially passed out after showering and setting up our camp. Next morning we aimed the bike at Arm of Gold campground in Little Bras D'Or with a pit stop in Antigonish (who comes up with such cool names?), which is a few minutes away from the ferry that we would take the following day to Newfoundland. NEWFOUNDLAND I say!

really good photos....what are you using?? This is just precious.

Nova%2520Scotia%25202014-06-06%252012-48-38-L.jpg

When we were down the Bluenose II was still in the build shed.
Nice to see it nearing completion.
Good photos - good blog.

really good photos....what are you using??
Good photos - good blog.

Thanks MacDoc.

We're using an iPhone...kidding

We're using a D5100 with a Nikkor 18-200 lens. Although the iPhone does stand in once in a while. We've talked about picking up a P&S for on the bike. The iPhone is ok for that but gets a 2/10 for ease of use with gloves on. Although I can still use it with the Held Air n Dry gloves as long as my hand is in the vented side, it's more of an excercise in futility most of the time.

We're very happy with the Nikon though, small enough to pack on a trip like this but still takes decent shots.

The Bluenose II by the way just failed at sea trials so she was not sea worthy.

Enjoying the ride report and photos. I would love to take a bike trip down east, but my wife is not interested in riding, or camping. So for the time being I will have to be content to see this area through your camera lens.

That's a pretty fine kit deal if the size is nto a concern.
Certainly value for outcome is good in your case.

You taking most with the AF-S VR DX 18-55mm lens

Shows I still need a low light middle zoom - it's on the list. Now maybe higher on the list.

That's a pretty fine kit deal if the size is nto a concern.
Certainly value for outcome is good in your case.

You taking most with the AF-S VR DX 18-55mm lens

Shows I still need a low light middle zoom - it's on the list. Now maybe higher on the list.

The kit came with that 18-55 but it did not make the packing list. The one we brought is the 18-200 3.5-5.5 VR2. Seems to be an excellent all around lens so far. Than pick them up used from Henry's on Ebay for a good chunk of change less than new. We bought it last year with this trip in mind. Lori's trying to figure out how to bring her Tamron SP AF F2.8 90mm Macro 1:1 lens, now it takes fantastic photos:

Takes excellent portraits as well but it's not a small lens to pack, and as you can imagine packing for a trip like this (2up no less), space is at a premium. Of course if we keep stopping at places like the Insectarium in NFLD, we might find a way to bring it along...

Wow, just finished reading from your first post. Subscribed. Enjoyed the reading and marvelled at the beautiful photos (very nice compositions) Have to say you both are very adventurous people. Wishing you the best, enjoy.

Ah thanks...18-200 is very flexible. I'm still hunting for the middle lens on the Gx1. Everything I want is a grand :(
Keep it up - nice stuff.
I grabbed an Lx3 with the Leica lens specifically for macro. At $110 for a used one - can't get a macro lens for that especially Leica glass.
And it is realllllly small. They are around...sellers don't seem know what they have.
Same camera - Leica D-Lux. $850 US when it came out
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/578316-USA/Leica_18352_D_LUX_4_DIGITAL_CAMERA.html
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/lx3.shtml

panasonic-lumix-dmc-lx3.jpg

Good second camera solution. Smaller and light than a lot lenses.
You guys look like you have the skill set to make good use of the little gem.

•••

3 days later...now look what ya done...

KEN_7989-600.jpg

gonna try Nikkor Prime 180mm on the Gx7 :D

Introduction

The legendary NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED is a superb manual focus lens. This manual focus lens has much rightly deserved folklore behind it as being very, very sharp. You can read more here about its development.

When it was introduced in the early 1980s it superseded the non-ED AI version. By reducing the secondary chromatic aberration it became much sharper then the other 180, and offered what at the time was previously unseen performance in a very fast tele.

It is not an internal focusing (IF) lens. It focuses conventionally by moving the entire lens assembly in and out as you turn the focus ring.

See Nikon 180mm f/2.8 History for perspective of where this fits into Nikon's product line.

Specifications

It has five elements in five groups, one big one of ED glass.

It has a nine-bladed diaphragm stopping down to f/32 (the AF version only goes to f/22).

It has a built-in telescoping hood and takes 72mm filters.

It is 3.1" (78mm) around and 5.4" (138mm) long. It weighs 28 oz (800g).

Close focus is 6 feet (1.8m).

Performance
It's sharp at f/2.8 and every other aperture. As all Nikkors, it has some light falloff wide open that mostly is gone at f/4 and is completely gone at f/5.6, on FX and film cameras.

It has no distortion.

Recommendations
Again, there is very little to say about a great lens. It, along with the 105/2.5, has been replaced in most pro's bags by an 80-200 f/2.8 zoom for the sake of convenience. In the old days (1980s) you'd find one in every news photographer's bag.

They are still not that cheap to buy second hand and they are heavy. You can still get them new for $750.

With the internal stabilization on the Gx7 this may be my intermediate lens of choice.

'm hooked on prime and for $300 plus $30 adapter and not too big size I'll give this a go. Alaska here we come :D

Last edited:
Wow, just finished reading from your first post. Subscribed. Enjoyed the reading and marvelled at the beautiful photos (very nice compositions) Have to say you both are very adventurous people. Wishing you the best, enjoy.
Thank you.

Enjoying the ride report and photos. I would love to take a bike trip down east, but my wife is not interested in riding, or camping. So for the time being I will have to be content to see this area through your camera lens.
Gaspé, PEI, Cabot Trail, Bay of Fundy, Peggy's Cove, Newfoundland...much to see. It's definitely worth a trip (or several) out here, even on four wheels. It took us a few trips to check everything off that list though.

Ah thanks...18-200 is very flexible. I'm still hunting for the middle lens on the Gx1. Everything I want is a grand :(
Keep it up - nice stuff.
I grabbed an Lx3 with the Leica lens specifically for macro. At $110 for a used one - can't get a macro lens for that especially Leica glass.
And it is realllllly small. They are around...sellers don't seem know what they have.
Same camera - Leica D-Lux. $850 US when it came out
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/578316-USA/Leica_18352_D_LUX_4_DIGITAL_CAMERA.html
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/lx3.shtml

panasonic-lumix-dmc-lx3.jpg

Good second camera solution. Smaller and light than a lot lenses.
You guys look like you have the skill set to make good use of the little gem.

•••

3 days later...now look what ya done...

gonna try Nikkor Prime 180mm on the Gx7 :D

With the internal stabilization on the Gx7 this may be my intermediate lens of choice.

'm hooked on prime and for $300 plus $30 adapter and not too big size I'll give this a go. Alaska here we come :D

Ha! Doesn't sound like you needed any help with that last bit.

We actually looked at the D-Lux at one point. The little LX3 actually sounds like it might be a good back up option for us. Thanks.

Oh and we missed Meat Cove on our Cabot Trail pass the first time. Still not sure if we'll have another go around there, but if we do, MC is on the list. Thanks MD & enjoy your trip.

Gaspé, PEI, Cabot Trail, Bay of Fundy, Peggy's Cove, Newfoundland...much to see. It's definitely worth a trip (or several) out here, even on four wheels. It took us a few trips to check everything off that list though.

I have been down east before as my mother's family is from Nova Scotia; however, it has been many years since I have been back. Never been to PEI or Newfoundland, but would love to see both. A good friend spent several days riding around Newfoundland and has many stories about the adventure.

Really enjoy reading this! Brings back memories of a similar East Coast route I did in 2011, look forward to more posts!

Nikkor 180 Prime
Ha! Doesn't sound like you needed any help with that last bit.
What a lovely lens...not too big and so nice to handle. ....just have to wait patiently for the adapter.

Yeah keep your eye open for an Lx3 if it suits your need. Hard to beleive they are around so cheap. Down side you need to keep an eye on the battery.

Where are you off to next?
We'll be prepping Alaska for you :D

Back
Top Bottom