Lifes2short....Ride the World | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lifes2short....Ride the World

Re: Close Encounters with Bush-Bears

In the morning we left the bush-bears behind and headed to Mt Rainier.

It was easy to get excited, for me at least. Lori was quick to point out that there wasn’t any ocean around here.

Look honey, there's an ocean-like body of water...

Quite a spectacular view. I knew Mt Rainier was home to some glaciers but I was a bit surprised to find out it has 26 major glaciers.

Nice shots - Rainier often hides away. St. Helens is a treat...buy Lori some St. Helen's ear rings.

My daughter loves hers.

earrings-ef-5560-1.5ct-rnd-sku4259.jpg

Featuring Mount St. Helens Emerald Jewelry (Obsidianite, Helenite )
The Stone: On May 18, 1980 Mount Saint Helen's erupted with the explosive force of 500 atomic bombs leveling 200 square miles. Thirteen hundred feet of earth was blown from the top of the mountain, sending a cloud of ash more then 60,000 feet into the air and eventually
circling the earth.
From this volcanic ash and rock is created Mount St Helen's Jewelry, a fused silica similar to obsidian, with the natural color of the evergreen forests that once surrounded the mountain. These memories and colors are preserved for eternity in hand cut stones set in
exquisite jewelry. Now also available in Twilite ( violet).

http://www.mt-st-helens.com/earrings-pendants.html

Might be at the info centre if you have not already gone past.

I'm kinda jealous of you guys. I'll just keep dreaming and hoping one day it'll be me in those shoes.

Nice shots - Rainier often hides away. St. Helens is a treat...buy Lori some St. Helen's ear rings.

Might be at the info centre if you have not already gone past.

Luckily we missed the info centre, not sure we need extra jewelry heading into Mexico. Besides, the bike is full ;).

I'm kinda jealous of you guys. I'll just keep dreaming and hoping one day it'll be me in those shoes.

Forget about it - you probably wouldn't like it. It's cold, it's wet, it's hot, it's sunny, your a-s-s gets sore, there's a lot of sleeping outside, close to (bush) bears. We're often crippled with indecision on where to go next, so we end up staying at some stupid beach front campground. It's downright depressing at times. In fact I miss my :homework: job
:puke:There, got that out of my system now. Back to the regularly scheduled program.

Forget about it - you probably wouldn't like it. It's cold, it's wet, it's hot, it's sunny, your a-s-s gets sore, there's a lot of sleeping outside, close to (bush) bears. We're often crippled with indecision on where to go next, so we end up staying at some stupid beach front campground. It's downright depressing at times. In fact I miss my :homework: job
:puke:There, got that out of my system now. Back to the regularly scheduled program.

Hope you didn't misunderstand my (poor?) attempt at humour. To say that this is the most extraordinary journey we've ever taken would be an understatement. I know this may sound strange, but the trip seems to be taking on a life of its own. Each morning we get up and have no idea what the day will bring, there's always something new and exciting. Meeting so many amazing people is definitely the highlight of the trip, and the scenery...I often find myself literally speechless at the sight of some of the mountains, glaciers and natural beauty that we've seen. Although there are ups and downs, they are totally worth it in the end.

Got back to San Francisco yesterday after our 2 week Thanksgiving hiatus at home. Just discussing what's next. Got a week in the area, then...? Lori has cast her vote to make a b-line for Baja, so we'll see.

A beeline with all that lovely PCH in between....Central Valley is a horror show with the drought....( hit a bit of it last November )
at least cruise to San Luis Obispo along the coast THEN beeline it.
my 2cents.

SPeaking of which high US dollar must hurt a bit tho fuel is cheap.

Haha! When I said b-line, I meant in a direct-like fashion down the coast. Big Sur, Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo are all on the list. Especially when there's roads like this along the way:

Say hello to ma-leetle friend. At the moment we're still in the SF area enjoying some down time.

As for the US$, yes we noticed it went the wrong way. I just had the Tiger in for its next major service and luckily it had bounced back to $.89 according to the exchange rate for the transaction.

Fuel here is about $3.35/gallon (or about $.88/Litre). What surprised me the most was how much fuel is back home - $1.10, not far off from what we're paying here to be honest (it's about $1.00/L with the exchange rate I figure). Last time I filled up in Ontario was in July and we paid $1.40. I try not to think about it too much to be honest.
It is what it is.

There ya go.
We went around the same time last year and the area was lovely would have spent more time if we had it. Just stunning scenery and changeable.
Enjoy but mind the kamakazi drivers that pass any time anywhere.
Not a lot of room between you and the ocean coming southbound.

BTW - following some of the rivers inland is a treat as the leaves are spectacular.
Have to find those photos...one drive along a stream/river took our breath away.

Small World

Following the Destination Highways map, we found a pretty fun road, NF-26, to take us towards Mt St Helens. Although paved, it’s essentially a single lane road that winds it’s way through the Cascades towards NF-99. It had a very remote feeling as we only passed 1 vehicle the entire time.

Evidence of the 1980 Mt St Helens volcanic eruption lay all around us as we rode south through the blowdown zone. Thousands upon thousands of massive trees blown over by the initial blast covered the landscape, more resembling very large matchsticks. It’s difficult to imagine a 1,200 degree (F) pyroclastic flow travelling over these mountains at 125 MPH destroying everything in its path for 370 square kilometres.

Fantastic view of Spirit Lake from here. More matchsticks laying about in the lake, even now 34 years later.

Climbing up to get a better view.

The view better be worth it!

Oh yeah!

Mount St Helens, minus about 1300 feet that was blown away in 1980.

Can you spot the observatory in the distance?

No?

How about now?

As we were about to hike back down from the look out point, we met up with a young couple riding BMW’s - Steve and Becky. Steve caught the name of the dealership where I bought the bike from the plate on our bike and said something about being a long way from home. The next few moments went something like this:
Us: “We’re actually from the other side of Toronto.”
Steve: “I used to live about 45 min west of Toronto.”
Us: “No kidding, we lived west of Hamilton.”
Steve: “I’m from St George.”
Us: “We know St George, we’re from Paris.”
Steve: “I used to live in Paris.”
Us: “No way!”
Steve: “Yeah, by the cemetery off Freeman Street.”
Us: “We lived on Dundas St right behind the cemetery.”
Steve: “That’s where I lived, on Dundas Street.”
Us: “You have got to be kidding! We lived in the condos right on the corner by Freeman Street.”
Steve: “I lived in the first house next to the driveway to those condos.”
We all just stood there for a moment with this stunned look on our faces, not sure what to think other than…WTF?

What are the odds of meeting your neighbour from a little town in south western Ontario, population 11,000, on an overlook at Mount St Helens in Washington? Talk about a small world! It seems Steve was moving out around when we were moving in so we never actually met.

We left the Twilight Zone and headed south, in a northerly fashion. But who’s complaining when the maps looks like this:

The riding here was just off the charts fun.

Had a chuckle at this sign.

After a stop over in Vancouver, Washington, we headed back to the coast stopping at Beverly Beach State Park. Another great campground located right next to the ocean. In the morning we took a walking path right under 101 to get to the beach. I will admit, it felt good to be back at the water. We liked the place so much, we extended our stay to 3 nights. Our new found philosophy of “ride for a couple of days, stay for 3” was really growing on us.

The hotel in Vancouver was...let's say, unique.

Hello front desk? Yes, I seem to be running a bit low on toilet paper. Could you please send up some more? I mean what went through the head of the person who decided this was a good idea? You can conduct business while doing...your business I guess. I realize there are those that already do this with cell phones but still, it looks strange.

Making dinner at Beverly Beach State Park.

What da ya think Jonathan?

Somewhere south of Newport, OR, along the 101.

We continued down highway 101 another day before cutting across east on route 42 at Bandon and then taking I-5 south into Medford.

As much as we didn’t want to leave the coast, the weather had turned cold and wet. Less than an hour after leaving the coast and before we even got to the I-5, the skies cleared up completely and the temp skyrocketed to the 90’s. The landscape, much like the temperature, changed dramatically. Everything near the ocean had been green and very lush, moss covered trees and ferns everywhere. Here along the I-5, the colour of choice was dessert brown. You could feel the lack of moisture in the air.

I looked out the window of the coffee shop in Medford and saw the hill side in the distance. A moment later, I looked up again and it was gone. Like a Klingon warbird, it’s cloaking device had rendered it invisible. There were several large forest fires burning in northern California so I guess I wasn’t surprised that the smoke was making its way all the way up here into southern Oregon, in fact we could see as we rode down the I-5. But what surprised us was how thick the smoke was. I mean it completely concealed a hillside a few miles away. Not only that but set foot outside, and you could literally smell the smoke. The Happy Camp fire in Northern California was the closest to us and had been burning for well over a month at this point and still was not 100% contained. It was just so weird that no one paid it any attention. It’s business as usual here.

In an effort to be consistent, we spent a few days hanging out in Medford. What’s in Medford? Well, a Triumph dealership, an REI and an Eddie Bauer, a great burger joint and several Starbucks. We noticed a trend on the west coast with Starbucks by the way. Most of them offer free wifi with speeds of over 50Mpbs - that’s FIFTY megabits per second! Do you hear that Canada? Back home, everyone is advertising free wifi everywhere you go, but you’re lucky to get 0.5Mbps.

REI - well it’s been at least a few weeks since we’ve spent money at one, so we figured we better get back on track. Actually as much as I really love my merino wool clothing, the stuff just doesn’t seem to last. I’ve now gone through a merino wool shirt and 2 pairs of underwear on this trip. Yes, some will say I’m full of s…but they had all just disintegrated on me. I’m sticking with my ExOfficio from now on. Also a few weeks ago, my Eddie Bauer sweater went through a magical wash and dry cycle going in as a MED and coming out as an extra small. Isn’t polyester not supposed to shrink? So I decided to put their lifetime warranty to the test. I walked into the store with just the sweater (the receipt didn’t make the packing list) and walked out with a brand new size MED sweater. Thank you very much Eddie.

Small World

We also picked up a brand new rear tire for Tigger with the intent of having it installed at the Horizons meeting we were now heading to in Mariposa, California. Grant Johnson does an excellent tire change presentation at every meeting that he attends, so I volunteered our bike and tire. You’re gonna carry a tire to California? Where you gonna put that thing?

Problem solved!

Apparently putting a new tire on the back of a very loaded bike, makes you look totally bad ***! It’s like we became stars all of a sudden. People started taking pics of us literally everywhere we went and every time I looked over at someone passing us in their Prius - yes we got passed by a Prius (having this much crap strapped to your bike slows you down a bit, what can I say), I would see a thumbs up from someone inside. Another guy in a bimmer, circled us to get a better view, probably wondering where we had the fridge plugged in.

Even the animals stared at us, no doubt dumbfounded by the big rubber strapped to the top to the back of the bike.

Our next stop was back on the coast in Eureka! I’ve always wanted to go to Eureka for some reason. I remember tracing the 101 down the coast on a map many years ago and the name just caught my attention. I thought how cool it must be there. Sadly, the first thing that stood out when we got there was the amount of homelessness. Very different than I had envisioned.

We felt much safer when we saw the Zombie Outbreak Response Team stationed at our hotel. Still, we tried to be quiet so as not to wake the Walkers.

Had some funny moments buying beer at the gas station. I got carded for the first time in a long time. In fact I think I’ve been carded more on this trip than I have in my entire life. Of course I left my ID at the hotel across the road so I had to walk back to get it before dude behind the counter would relinquish that tasty malt beverage. After finishing my beer I decided I wanted another one - some days they just go down so nicely. Same dude behind the counter, says: “can I see some ID?”. Really? I was just here like half hour ago. Better prepared this time, I presented my ID...again. Half hour later (these were American sized beers, so they take a few minutes to...enjoy), back to the gas station I go and sure enough, dude once again asks me for ID. “You know I’m not getting any younger” I said as I pulled out my drivers licence, again. I know, I know, I should have just got enough liquid refreshments from the get go.

In the morning we rode into town to check out the Black Lightning Motorcycle Cafe. Motorcycle parking out front (Lori wondered if we’d fit into one spot - yup) and all kinds of classic bikes and bike parts strategically placed inside adding to the ambiance of the place.

Their menu looked pretty good too. Panini’s named after bikes; The Triumph, The Suzuki, The Ducati, The Norton and more. We totally loved the place.

We ordered the Humboldt Breakfast Quesadilla. Made with eggs, Humboldt fog cheese, onion, tomato, arugula and garlic-mayo, add bacon for the the most amazing flavour combination. WOW! This thing was like an orchestra going off in my mouth. You absolutely have to stop in and try one of these if you’re passing through.

We came back to the cafe later in the day for a coffee and ran into Julie and Vincent sitting inside. We first met them at the HU meeting in Nakusp, BC. Originally from France, they’ve been living in Quebec and are currently travelling to South America.

Small world.

Re: Small World

Speaking of fog and Eureka....we got socked in and went inland...how did you fare?

Neat place - will add the list for the northbound in June with the kid.

So far - 13k km in 24 days

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Mississauga,+ON,+Canada&daddr=Devils+Tower,+WY,+United+States+to:Bear+Tooth+Pass+Hwy,+Cody,+Wyoming+82414+to:45.021751,-109.926563+to:Yellowstone+National+Park,+WY,+United+States+to:44.653079,-110.819243+to:Bryce+Canyon+National+Park,+Utah+63,+Bryce+Canyon,+UT,+United+States+to:38.7074339,-115.5133443+to:Yosemite+National+Park,+Yosemite+Village,+CA,+United+States+to:San+Luis+Obispo,+CA,+United+States+to:35.9679455,-121.483434+to:37.2114456,-122.4050636+to:38.072329,-122.8022391+to:38.8680385,-123.6530067+to:39.9478514,-123.7808964+to:Mount+St.+Helens,+Skamania+County,+WA,+United+States+to:Glacier+National+Park,+West+Glacier,+MT,+United+States+to:50.5290729,-114.2310087+to:50.4479963,-114.7554535+to:Jasper+National+Park,+Jasper,+AB,+Canada+to:46.0934314,-85.4624512+to:Mississauga,+ON,+Canada&hl=en&ll=47.813155,-134.736328&spn=75.247853,174.902344&sll=44.492587,-109.237061&sspn=2.50975,5.581055&geocode=FbUdmQIdKLpA-ym3BWvnn0YriDHbZlnXvmwUAw%3BFYJkqAIdhy7C-SF6x53UE50kqSk5PlTzPwYzUzF6x53UE50kqQ%3BFcOirQIdy5h2-SnZt9uNvvpOUzFKJ3ryizazyA%3BFTf6rgIdXady-Sl7sY9xgf9OUzEYONvcWo0EaA%3BFbvqpQId2Y1o-SG74Y80MPmorClVVVVVVeVRUzG74Y80MPmorA%3BFRdaqQIdVQhl-SkHFjlIQ8NRUzEWH7Wj_GzPsg%3BFc6fPQIdLilQ-SEGbay--9jpaykt68MCxms1hzEGbay--9jpaw%3BFemgTgIdAGgd-SmD6B4EcZiwgDHOU2LOS_RwNg%3BFY3GQQIdZ_3f-CH-A4DtLJwkLSnF7Ir1nfCWgDH-A4DtLJwkLQ%3BFUBfGgIdYOHO-Cknwmx7vubsgDFGD-_OwpACvA%3BFcnTJAIdVk_C-ClftJXvhZmSgDHgWP7RMoBeaQ%3BFTXNNwIdOT-0-CmDSVojAwGPgDFEry1iLflVTA%3BFQnwRAIdwS-u-Cm1MOrDfcaFgDGmETl75vTf8g%3BFUYUUQIdcjSh-Cldzmj38iKBgDH9vkgRudsm6w%3BFUuOYQId4ECf-Cnfxtu5hcTUVDEGHsmbUy5lFA%3BFWDSwAIdIHa3-CmRJopWVpmWVDHHlM-29LTdaQ%3BFT0D6AIdcr83-SHsXcUVIrwWrylVVVVVFZBoUzHsXcUVIrwWrw%3BFTADAwMdIPkw-SlNgTs1-rZxUzHIFZA7Z1Wn5A%3BFXzGAQMdg_go-Sm3IdrQpEZwUzG9fN-hBF260A%3BFafIJgMdCin4-CGS0ZvObUpy4Skbh0KRyymDUzGS0ZvObUpy4Q%3BFXdUvwIdTfLn-ilNqvXzptVLTTG5SS0MpMofgg%3BFbUdmQIdKLpA-ym3BWvnn0YriDHbZlnXvmwUAw&oq=mississau&t=p&mra=dpe&mrsp=5&sz=9&via=3,5,7,10,11,12,13,14,17,18,20&z=4

If you are not already past it Pelican Brew Pub should be coming up soon.

Last edited:

We also picked up a brand new rear tire for Tigger with the intent of having it installed at the Horizons meeting we were now heading to in Mariposa, California. Grant Johnson does an excellent tire change presentation at every meeting that he attends, so I volunteered our bike and tire. You’re gonna carry a tire to California? Where you gonna put that thing?

Problem solved!

How's the ride and comfort loaded like that? Fuel economy can't be too good either. It is a great idea to do a few days of riding then relaxing for 3 days after, I did a 6 week ride without much relaxing and it was pretty tiring.

Speaking of fog and Eureka....we got socked in and went inland...how did you fare?

Neat place - will add the list for the northbound in June with the kid.

So far - 13k km in 24 days

If you are not already past it Pelican Brew Pub should be coming up soon.

The only Pelican Brew Pub I found was back in OR...we're heading south from here where the weather is warm ;). We missed that section as we came in from Portland along route 22 into Lincoln City.

How's the ride and comfort loaded like that? Fuel economy can't be too good either. It is a great idea to do a few days of riding then relaxing for 3 days after, I did a 6 week ride without much relaxing and it was pretty tiring.

The comfort level was unchanged with the tire and so was fuel economy. I took it easier just because I didn't want to damage the top case and also because Lori could tell the tire was behind her. I'm too used to the handling with all the gear and us. It's only noticeable when I take everything off and go for a ride, the bike turns into a crotch rocket it seems.

It's definitely nice to slow down. We're both so used to having a goal/destination and timeline that we've had a learning curve learning how to travel slowly.

Ice-ice-icicle
Pop-pop-Popsicle
Test-test.....testing

Was getting an internal server error trying to post something more than TEST.

California 101

If you follow our Facebook page you will no doubt know that I’m somewhat behind in the blog. In fact Facebook is probably the best place to keep tabs on us as Lori updates it more often than I can write a post here.

We’ve been having an absolute blast in California over the last while and I just haven’t been able to sit down in front of the computer long enough to compose something to post. A couple of days ago, I sat down with every intention of catching up but instead all I heard was the echo of Lori’s words from that morning: “Jenn passed away”. Jennifer was an amazing person that Lori and I both worked with for many years. She had a glow about her that seemed to radiate warmth, compassion and love. She had been struggling with cancer for several years and finally lost her battle November 12 at the age of 44.

Here we are gallivanting around North America on our motorcycle and life just seems to go on. It’s very strange. I remember this same feeling when my father passed away about 2 years ago, the feeling that life just continues seemingly like nothing ever happened. It’s very bizarre to be honest. What does this have to do with our blog? Nothing. Everything! As weird as it may sound, I find that death has an interesting way of inspiring us to live, to follow our dreams. It reminds me to not take for granted the amazing opportunity we have everyday to do almost anything we can dream of and to live life with passion.

To our friend Jennifer
You will be greatly missed.

Back in California and just a short ride south of Eureka, we got off the 101 to ride through the Avenue of the Giants in Humboldt Redwoods State Park. It’s about a 30 miles stretch of road that parallels the much busier and faster moving highway 101.

Taking the Avenue allows you to meander through the forest and enjoy some of the massive redwoods.

When I say massive I mean over 350 feet in height, that’s the height of a 30+ story skyscraper.

Some of these bad boys weigh in around 1 million pounds, give or take a pound and can be as old as 2000 years. Immune to nearly anything short of an axe, the bark is thick enough to withstand fire. Yet 96% of the original redwoods have been lost due to extensive logging during the early 1900's. Lori wondered if these trees could talk…

After 5 straight nights indoors, we were back to the coast and also back to more familiar accommodations, our tent. First at MacKerricher State Park north of Fort Bragg and then Doran Beach Campground in Bodega Bay. The latter was right on the beach but unlike the $14 we spent on camping at Kalaloch in Washington, California was a bit on the more expensive side at $32.

The riding between these two places was off the charts as highway 1 serpentines its way down the coast towards San Francisco.

Gaining in elevation and with the ocean on our right, the road all of a sudden turned inland into a dense forest. A few s-bends later, we would poke back out again at another cliff, the road appearing to simply head out into the ocean before making another sharp turn inland at the last moment. Rinse and repeat. It was a dizzying ride. As if the surrounding beauty and difficulty of the road wasn’t enough of a challenge, we found ourselves riding through and open range with cows grazing only a few feet off the road. Remembering the line from the movie Twister, I blurted out “we got cows”. I was completely spent by the time we rolled into Doran Beach.

Just as we finished setting up our tent, the folks across the road came over and offered us their beachfront campsite and pile of fire wood. We guessed they were there the entire weekend and had also paid for today - Sunday, so they could enjoy the entire day at the beach before heading home. Since they already had the fire going, we took them up on their offer and picked up and carried our tent across the road.

The next morning continued to build on what was already my most favourite road to ride. We almost missed it as the GPS had routed us away from San Francisco towards our destination in Vallejo. After a course correction, we were back on the 1 heading south. Just north of San Francisco, highway 1 runs right along the edge of the cliffs, several hundred feet above the ocean. More s-bends here - a lot more, most of them with recommended speeds from 15-20MPH, and a lot of hairpins. But don’t look down, in fact don’t miss a turn. Missing one of the corners is not advisable there are often no guardrails to speak of. Just a few feet of dirt past the end of pavement and then several hundred feet down to the Pacific Ocean. The view was truly mesmerizing!

Our pot at the end of this rainbow was the Golden Gate bridge. Super exciting as this was another bucket list item for me. It certainly didn’t disappoint.

Coolest tour vehicle I’ve ever seen.

The much less popular view of the Golden Gate and SF bay. I can’t imagine why.

Everything is built on a hill around here, not only that but no two houses look alike. Nothing like the suburbia we're used to.

Re: California 101

Last week when we signed up to attend the upcoming HU meeting in California, we also signed up to do a presentation. This meant we had only a few days to not only learn how to use our presentation software, Keynote but also come up with a 45 minute presentation. Right. So we spent the next few days indoors in Vallejo doing just that. Thank goodness Keynote has a pretty short learning curve and Lori has lots of patience…for me that is. Getting off the highway before the hotel I caught a glimpse of the road sign - California 37. We had been listening quite a lot to Train’s album of the same title on this trip so I thought it was cool to come across the road by happenstance.

It turned out to be another great HU meeting, this one busier than any of the previous ones, for us at least. Not only did we get scheduled to do our presentation twice, but we also volunteered our services to help out and ended up being scheduled more volunteer shifts than before. In addition, we also volunteered our bike for Grant’s tire change presentation which Grant later called the hardest tire change he’d ever done - more on that later.

Setting up away from the party crowd...or so we thought.

Completely by accident, we set up our tent next to Melanie and Greg (and their pup Gypsy). Greg messaged us through our Facebook page a while back. In the previous picture above, you can see their bike and the cut out in the top case for Gypsy.

Although the weather had been pretty good over the last week coming down the coast, we were looking forward to Mariposa. The forecast was dry and hot for the foreseeable future. In fact it hadn’t rained in Mariposa since the 1980’s. You of course know where this is going right? Let’s see, it rained Friday, there was a huge downpour on Saturday and on Sunday, we rode into town for an afternoon wrap up to the meeting and it dumped on us for a couple of hours. We were also quite happy to have our warm weather gear as it got down to single digits (Celcius) every night.

Stormy weather often makes for some beautiful sunsets.

As usual, there were lots of bike to ogle.

Craig Vetter designed streamlined bike. You can actually pick up your own kit here: http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/Online_Store/Streamliner Superstore.html

Not designed by Craig Vetter - not aerodynamic enough.

Lining up for breakfast.

No problem as long as I have my morning tea.

Our presentation was on “Getting started on a 2 up RTW - false starts and pitfalls of getting going.” We actually weren’t sure what to expect and wondered if anyone would show up since we were scheduled early on the first day of the meeting. As it turned out, enough people showed up that we had to use the microphones. Neither Lori or I have a great deal of experience with public speaking, so it’s a little outside of our comfort zone, much like this entire adventure of ours. I mean who feels comfortable selling their house and quitting their job to ride their motorcycle around the world.

Of course we both thought we bombed the presentation, so we decided to make a few changes for the following day. By the time we were done, we had re-written the entire thing essentially. Our second attempt felt like it went much smoother. It was pretty fun experience to be honest, it was cool to be on the other side of the table, trying to inspire others, to all of a sudden be one of the experts.

Even with our busy schedule, we still got a chance to enjoy a few presentations of our own, the highlight of which for me was the author of Jupiter’s Travels, Ted Simon. He was one of the first people to ride his motorcycle (a Triumph) around the world back in the 1970’s, a journey that took him 4 years.

Totally packed room for this presentation.

Interestingly Mr. Simon has an uncanny resemblance to my late father.

Ron Grace from Lost for a Reason (http://www.lostforareason.org). <em>Lost for a Reason.org was founded as a way to say THANK YOU to the children and families on the N​avajo reservation,...for the use of the land,..to ride, to run,..to explore!.. a way to help children and famiies in need! We listen to the families and we do our best to fill whatever needs they have from personal items,..to playgrounds!</em>. Why we like em? 100% of money donated gets to those in need.

Tigger looking a little naked at Grant’s tire change presentation.

I had no idea what I volunteered myself for. It took us more than 10 minutes just to break the bead and there were at least 4 or 5 of us taking turns trying to get the tire off the rim. The Heidenau K60's are a notoriously hard tire to mount because the rubber is so incredibly stiff. The valley in the rim on the Tiger is also very shallow. The combination of the two made this one of the hardest tire changes ever according to Grant. Easy enough if you're at home with the right tools. Definitely a learning experience. Note to self - always have someone else mount a K60 for you.

Checking out Mike's gear presentation. Lori met Mike the night before and when she found out he was a local, she asked if he knew a safe place to store our bike for a couple of weeks while we fly home for Thanksgiving. His response, "sure, my garage". We can't say enough about how grateful we were for such an offer.

We also ran into Vincent and Julie again. They made an unplanned appearance late Saturday and we all stuck around till Monday. Once again we were the last ones to leave.

Monday the nice weather rolled in and we rolled out. We figured it was time to bring rain and cold to another community.

Back
Top Bottom