Lifes2short....Ride the World | Page 14 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lifes2short....Ride the World

Re: Uxmal Ruins

Lovely - been wallowing in warm and not spending much time here...

I do hope this is one way...

i-LJBkRqz-L.jpg

Re: Uxmal Ruins

Lovely - been wallowing in warm and not spending much time here...

I do hope this is one way...

i-LJBkRqz-L.jpg

Yup, the entire town is all one way cobblestone streets and tunnels. One of the most unique places I've ever been. Guanajuato is definitely a place to put on your radar if you ever make it all the way down here.

Uxmal Video

Our photo editing software seems to be acting up. GRRRRR! It has for some strange reason spontaneously deleted all the edits to all photos since we left Merida and we're trying to get back up to speed. Yes we have backups of the photos but it seems to be a little more complicated than that.

In the meantime here's a short little video I forgot to add to the previous post from Uxmal.

[video=youtube;no0e10shBuc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no0e10shBuc[/video]

Re: Uxmal Video

Apple is fiddling with iPhoto and Aperture and has a new something on the go.
What are you editing in?

Re: Uxmal Video

Apple is fiddling with iPhoto and Aperture and has a new something on the go.
What are you editing in?

Aperture. Word is Apple will no longer be updating Aperture and instead just focusing on their new Photos app. If that's the case I might regret going with Aperture.

Guatemala or...?

Our visit to Uxmal very much reinvigorated our spirits and recharged our Allspark. But where to next? That’s THE question we keep asking each other lately. How about south into Guatemala…via Merida (yes I know Merida is north of us o_O, and yes, we did just spend 10 days there). Our logic (I use the term logic loosely) was to resupply in Merida and to research which border we wanted to cross.

Apparently we missed this mall with an indoor ice skating rink during our first stay in Merida. Just goes to show you that no matter how long you visit a place for, you probably won't see everything.

Juan the mall cop was keeping all the skaters in line.

A couple of days later, instead of heading south we found ourselves booking a hotel off the main strip in Cancun. Yeah, I don’t know what we’re doing either but it sure is fun! We figured since we were so close, why not stop there for a few days…or a week. It seemed fitting to keep the momentum of our lack of momentum going. Or something like that.

Lori once again managed to find us a great deal online at the Holiday Inn Express, and although perhaps not exactly indicative of the typical North American standards for room quality of a HIE, the place was fantastic. What it lacked in room swanki-ness, it made up in amenities.

A beautiful pool area and a fantastic multi course breakfast served up every day by Armando and his team. The hotel is also away from the main tourist strip, which means that it’s quiet and that we had to walk a few kilometres to get anywhere - something we were both excited about. No really! Riding around on the bike isn’t exactly a high intensity workout so we enjoy every possible opportunity to get some exercise.

We found a little public beach just off a parking lot amongst some resorts.

Let’s be honest though, had the beach been in our backyard like some (or most) of the all-inclusive’s, we may have done zero walking.

The first night in town we found this awesome little hole in the wall that served up quesadillas and nothing but quesadillas, all kinds of quesadillas for 12 pesos each (about a $1).

Not a bad view from our room. Unfortunately that's mostly all Lori saw for several days after getting sick. We ended up hanging around the hotel and the pool for several days while Lori recuperated. I suppose there are worse places to get sick.

We've read about people getting sick in Mexico from eating or drinking the wrong thing, but we were pretty much eating and drinking the same thing so we're not sure what it was. I don't think it was the quesadillas since I essentially lived off of them while Lori was sick and didn't eat anything. It's hard to pass up yummy dinner and a drink for $4.

While hanging out in Cancun we found out that our friend Tina and her friend had escaped the bitter winter back home and were in nearby Playa Del Carmen on holidays. So we hopped on the bike and made the short trek to PDC to have some dinner together. Small world.

The last 2 nights in Cancun we decided to treat ourselves to some better food. Not only because we cheaped out most of the week but Lori was also feeling much better and since she hadn't eaten in like days, we thought it would be a nice treat. We did our usual "let's walk down the road and stop at the first place that has people eating and looks good" bit and came across the Surfin Burrito/Pizza shop. I had probably THE BEST chicken parmesan I've ever had from these guys. Short of having live chickens roaming around in the back, everything was made from scratch while we waited. The portion size was also quite generous and I was almost in tears having to leave what I couldn't finish behind. But with no fridge at the hotel, such goes the travel life. We found ourselves back the following night and both ordered the Mahi Mahi fish & chips. Double WOW! Definitely a place to check out if you ever end up in Cancun. Best fish & chips since that place in Kaslo, B.C.

Considering we're not huge fans of super busy touristy places, we had a great time here in Cancun (apart from Lori getting sick of course).

[video=youtube;vhpDiRYmiVc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhpDiRYmiVc&spfreload=10[/video]

Re: Guatemala or...?

Great pics - That train you had some lunch or dinner at - I passed that couple of years ago when I did that area. You were in on the Steven's canyon road (Mount Rainer). I did that with some friends from Seattle. It is a really wicked road and some great scenery. Keep up the great report.

Re: Guatemala or...?

Great pics - That train you had some lunch or dinner at - I passed that couple of years ago when I did that area. You were in on the Steven's canyon road (Mount Rainer). I did that with some friends from Seattle. It is a really wicked road and some great scenery. Keep up the great report.

Thanks.

Man that place just seems like a lifetime ago for some reason. That was a beautiful area, in fact I loved the entire Pacific coast - easily some of the most scenic riding I've ever done.

Palenque Ruins

With bellies still full from the previous two days, we packed up and left Cancun heading south towards Chetumal, which is essentially right on the border with Belize.

While making a stop at the Scotiabank in Playa Del Carmen (yes there are Scotiabank branches all over Mexico by the way), this little boy walked past and did a WHOA! when he saw our bike. He looked at his mom and then back at the bike, so of course we offered for him to sit on it which got him super excited. After spending a frustrating hour + trying to change some money over at the bank (things in Mexico have one speed - slow), it was nice to put a huge smile on a child’s face. It totally washed away any frustration we had.

We stopped short of Chetumal in Bacalar and found a decent hotel right in the middle of a residential neighbourhood. For 350 pesos and secure parking, it was almost everything we needed.

A little tired after our first long ride in a while, we decided we didn’t want to ride anywhere else to look for dinner. Instead we asked the lady at the front desk of the hotel if there was anything around where we were. She pointed us towards a few places and off we went by foot in search of food. Now walking around a strange town in the dark would typically freak us out just a little but for some reason we felt very safe and had no issues, other than the first couple places we were directed to were closed. Actually it seems they hadn't opened yet by 7 pm. We eventually came across what was a grill in front of a house with a couple of plastic tables and chairs, and a man and his wife prepping some food behind the grill. The hand written menu on the wall indicated they had quesadillas and a couple of other items. “Quesadilla con queso por favor”. They had to send their daughter down to the corner store when we asked for some bottled water. We couldn’t help but be in awe of what passes for a restaurant here in Mexico. There is no way anything like this would be allowed to exist back home. It would simply be shut down. Not only are places like these not shut down, they are absolutely everywhere here, and they have fantastic food to boot!

The next morning we headed for...well we had actually been discussing the possibility of heading south into Belize before we even left Cancun but at the last moment we decided since we were still in Mexico, we would back track a bit and see some of the things we missed when our (internal) engines got stuck in warp speed before Christmas. So we set a course for Palenque instead!

Also I think we may have discovered the real location of the Bat Cave! For obvious reasons we can not disclose its whereabouts here in our report.

827 km’s in two days landed us in Palenque where another fantastic archeological site awaited. We were also pretty sore from the ride after essentially a month of zero riding.

While asking about a room at the hotel, we hummed and hawed about the parking since it was essentially outside and unsecured. I think the guy at the front desk misunderstood that we were unhappy with the price, so he offered to lower the rate. I forget that everything is negotiable down here. Note to self for future hotel stays. Lori went to take a look at the room and came back with a thumbs up. I was able to park beside the hotel away from the street and essentially in front of our room.

The next morning we awoke to an unfamiliar sound, it took a few moments for it to sink in. It was raining outside. Actually not just raining but a torrential-like dumping of H2O. By mid day our plans to see the ruins were washed away. So what do you wanna do now? Oh I know, wanna see my elephant?

Or how about my swan(s)?

What?

Lucky for us (or maybe you) the rain let up by the following morning and we were able to get out.

Palenque was once one of the most powerful Mayan cities, back in the day. Its ruins date back to between 226 BC and 800 AD.

When we parked the bike a couple of teenagers came over and asked if we wanted them to watch the bike. When I declined they offered to clean the bike. What? No way dudes! I worked hard at getting it this dirty, in fact Tigger hasn't had a bath since California and I have no immediate plans to change that. I was also a little worried what "clean" might mean so I threw the full array of security precautions on the bike before we went inside. Mainly the disc lock and the cloak of invisibility (aka bike cover).

Palenque is located essentially in the heart of the jungle and is quite different from the Uxmal ruins. While Uxmal is beautiful and very...refined, very clean looking, Palenque has a much more organic & raw feel to it. Both are stunning in their own ways.

One thing they both had in common was the pyramids themselves and all the stairs!

It's also another UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Oh look, more stairs.

This pyramid was closed off to climbers (I mean tourists).

I'll just wait down here for you, ok?

Last edited:
Re: Palenque Ruins

As we hiked deeper into the bowels of the ruins we began hearing the ominous screech of the howler monkey, it’s quite a unique sound and one that doesn’t seem to match their size. Kind of like hearing a Stebel horn on a little kids tricycle.

Something else we didn't see in Uxmal, was all the locals selling trinkets inside the site.

Definitely colourful.

We eventually came across some pretty amazing artwork.

Tree huggers are everywhere, even at Palenque!

As are unique plants.

Lori was happy to find some great deals at the parking lot mercado, while I was happy to find our bike was still there...dirt and all.

[video=youtube;ibF_ATXUSps]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibF_ATXUSps&spfreload=10[/video]

Last edited:
If you love topes, boy do I have a road for you

This guy was right next to the hotel entrance in Palenque.

Cool looking entrance.

Hotels and restaurants lining this beautiful stone road in the zona touristica. On our (rain delay) day off here, we took a stroll away from the hotel zone and into town. Wow, as soon as we crossed the bridge it was like a different country. That elegant serpentine stone road gave way to potholes, loud music and all kinds of tienditas (little stores). It’s amazing the contrast between the two areas. I wish we had taken some pics there but of course our small camera is on the fritz and it was raining just a wee bit much for the big one.

At least we managed to get the bike packed before the skies and flood gates opened on us. Rain, and lots of it. Our rain delay the day before last prompted us to try and recall the last time we rode in the rain. None in January so far, December? Nope. November? Nope. October? Think again. We rode through a very light shower on our way to Mariposa in late September but the last time it really rained was back on Vancouver island, September 3 - and it wasn’t what I would call rain. That stuff closer resembled a monsoon! Rumour is Christian Slater and Morgan Freeman were trying to film the sequel to Hard Rain on Vancouver Island that day but had to call it off because it was raining too hard.

Ok so I came to learn that my Sidi GoreTex boots were no longer waterproof back in Alaska after intentionally stepping into a creek to gauge it's depth before taking Tigger across. Within seconds my sock was damp, confirming of course that yes, my boot was in fact no longer GoreTex waterproof.

When we finally arrived at our hotel in Victoria, BC after our all day slosh fest in September, I had taken off my boot and poured out enough water to sustain an entire garden in the Sahara for weeks. No creek, no river, it was just from sitting on the bike and riding in monsoon type rain all day. Here’s a little fun fact for you kids out there. Did you know you that if you use a hotel hair dryer to dry your clothes and boots for, oh I dunno, say an hour, the hairdryer itself will start to melt? I mean who knew, right?

Did anyone else just see that squirrel?

Anyway, our dry spell of nearly 5 months would officially come to an end today. Something that turned out to be in fact the good news. The bad news and another fun fact is that there are about 100,000 topes between Palenque and San Cristobal de las Casas. A stretch of road that is about 213km's long and should take about three and a half hours to complete according to Google, took us the entire day in the rain. Admittedly we did take a half hour break in some random town where Lori somehow managed to get talked into teaching a local some English numbers. He was quite enthusiastic and didn't want us to go.

I know what you're thinking, I thought the same thing. Boy that looks like a fun road. Don't let Google deceive you. This fine looking stretch of twisty highway is paved with potholes, washouts, more topes than I could count (hey I wonder if a step counter would work on counting topes?), dogs chasing cars and bikes, cows and goats. I know what else you're thinking. I just described the average road in Mexico. Ok fair enough. But for some reason this one seemed to be the pinnacle of crappy roads. Perhaps our opinion was just dampened by all that rain.

[video=youtube;ufmk3NOMATE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufmk3NOMATE[/video]

Another positive, we discovered our Klim gear really does work to keep us dry and also manages to keep us pretty warm. I was surprised when I noticed the temp had dipped all the way down to 8 as we ascended to 8000 feet. I was only wearing a t-shirt underneath the jacket but felt pretty comfy. Our Klim gear has actually been somewhat of a joke for us, because we haven't seen a drop of rain since getting the stuff back in September. Hey at the very least it's proven to be good insurance.

Typically we have a list of at least three hotels that Lori has vetted before we arrive in a new town. For some reason we decided our list of one would be enough for San Cristobal de las Casas. I think maybe we're out of practice because of course our hotel was full, and with darkness falling we found ourselves riding around town looking for something else suitable. Now there's definitely no shortage of hotels in San Cristobal, you can easily find something really nice in the $100-200/night range. No gracias! Turns out you can also find something in the $40 range with secure parking with just a little bit more work.

The next morning we awoke to a spectacular day and hit a cafe at the main plaza for some brekky. Jamon y queso quesadillas for Lori and Pepperoni y dos quesos Crepas for me. Yu-mmy! Lori had also made a list of a few places for us to check out for accommodations, all within walking distance. Our first stop was the Rosco Backpackers hostel. True to what Lori had read, they offer a free night in their dorms (or 50% off a private room) to anyone riding a bike. We got a great vibe from everyone there. “Great, we’ll be back in an hour,” we said.

Not only was Jorge the owner super friendly but he also rides, his two GS's proudly parked inside the courtyard. He also spends part of the year living in Quebec but we won't hold that against him.

While walking back to our hotel, we quite literally nearly walked into our friends Seb and Kim from wanderingsouls who we met at the HU meeting in Mariposa. At the time they were travelling around Canada and the US in their van that they shipped over from Belgium. Shortly after the HU meeting they decided to go back home and return to North America with their two motorcycles and ride to South America. Neither of us knew we were all in San Cristobal when we just happen to walk down the same street at the same time. C'mon how cool is that? After moving our gear to the hostel, we spent the rest of the day hanging out with Seb & Kim catching up. They talked about riding through snow in Chihuahua, Mexico (yes there is snow in Mexico) while we talked about the heat of Merida. C'mon, what are friends for?

Seb lining up the shot.

The walkway at the plaza downtown.

While trying to fall asleep back at the hostel that night, we discovered our next door neighbour liked to do impressions of Meg Ryan at a diner. Lucky for us (too bad for her) it was very short lived experience. Other than the nightly entertainment, the hostel also offered on site full service laundry, a nightly bonfire and tours.

Back at the main plaza. Catedral de San Cristobal in the background.

Indigenous women selling everything from toys and trinkets to clothing. They can be found all over the downtown core. They typically walk right up to you offering you whatever they have. We find ourselves saying "no gracias" half a dozen times before they move on. Of course I have to keep Lori in check because she doesn't always say no and we only have one bike after all.

How about some ice cream delivered right to you instead?

Like a moth to a flame, Lori spotted a market nearby. Fantastic colours!

Last edited:
Sumierdo Canyon

Although we had planned on hitting the road within a few days, our friends Seb and Kim talked us into checking out Sumidero Canyon before we left. When I discovered that the Rosco hostel had a tour bus departing right from the hostel, well that sealed the deal and we decided to stay another night.

Sumidero Canyon is located just north of a town called Chiapa de Corzo, about a 60 min ride west of San Cristobal. The decently twisty and scenic mountain road made me wish we had come on the bike instead of the bus, although for a whopping $3 each we got to sit back and play passenger for a change, ok so it was a change for me. Besides, we would have spent more on gas and the toll had we come on the bike.

The canyon dates back to about the same time as the Grand Canyon in the states, 35 million years ago - give or take a few thousand years. It was formed by cracks in the earth’s crust and erosion by the Grijalva River which continues to flow here now. The river actually begins all the way in Guatemala, flowing for a total of 766 km. Sumidero Canyon is home to only 13 of those kilometres. Although our tour boat didn’t make it that far upstream, at the north end of the canyon is the Chicoasén Dam which provides 30% of Mexico’s hydroelectric energy.

Stunningly sexy orange vest...check - safety first after all. Oh and by the way, the woman over my left shoulder...is actually standing up. Seriously.

Heading off into the unknown.

Welcome to the jungle, we got fun and games...

Cacti growing right out of the mountain here.

The canyon also plays host to a plethora of wildlife. The Snowy Egret seen here, Blue Herons, cormorants, and many more.

“Hey do these wings make me look fat?". The black vulture.

Canyon walls climbing as high as 1000 metres.

Cueva de colores (cave of colours).

The various colours are a result of the filtration of magnesium, potassium and other minerals.

There is of course a sad side to the canyon. Pollution! There is about 5000 tons of solid waste extracted from the river annually.

There's even a Christmas Tree here (Árbol de Navidad) - no really that's what its called.

It's actually a waterfall. The branches are made by mineral deposits from the waterfall, which are then naturally covered in moss. It apparently is much more vibrant in the rainy season, we are here in the dry season so it’s a little dull.

Of course it also looks like that face in the top right corner could step out of the rock formation at any moment and attack the hordes of tourists.

Geoffroy's spider monkeys.

Due to habitat loss and being hunted and captured for pets, these guys have made the endangered list.

Re: Sumierdo Canyon

Say hello to my leetle friend, the Amercian Crocodile.

These cuddly little guys can get up to 2000 lbs and 20 feet in length, not to mention they can swim up to 20 mph. Their habitat extends as far north as southern Florida.

So this dude thinks it’s a good idea to dive into the very same river. Huh! Maybe he’s never been upstream, I dunno.

[video=youtube;NNlwr_LfgHA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNlwr_LfgHA[/video]

After our boat tour we got dropped off back in Chiapa de Corzo to do some sightseeing. The Santo Domingo church here was built in 1554.

Much more simple looking on the inside, although it still had lots of character.

Locals set up shop pretty much anywhere and everywhere.

Absolutely one of my most favourite pics from Mexico. The hat and glasses are so grown up and so is that pensive look on his face. The stuffed toy adds perfect contrast and grounds him to his true age.

Last edited:

Great narrative and pics.
BTW our LX-3 is just sitting here. If you ever stay at one place for a few days happy to Fedex it down as "warranty repair" :D
You already have charger and memory.
Hate to miss the on the fly shots.

I have the same issue of whether to take the Gx7 riding or stick with the Gx1.
So far have dodged getting either wet tho today was a hand over the camera while riding until I could find some shelter. Was not a deluge tho.

Next camera may be one of the water resistant Olympus.

Great narrative and pics.
BTW our LX-3 is just sitting here. If you ever stay at one place for a few days happy to Fedex it down as "warranty repair" :D
You already have charger and memory.
Hate to miss the on the fly shots.

I have the same issue of whether to take the Gx7 riding or stick with the Gx1.
So far have dodged getting either wet tho today was a hand over the camera while riding until I could find some shelter. Was not a deluge tho.

Next camera may be one of the water resistant Olympus.

Appreciate the offer MacDoc. We took some compressed air to it and it seems to have helped, we'll see how long that lasts.

What's a few more days in San Cristobal de las Casas?

After our Sumidero Canyon excursion we decided to stay another day or two in San Cristobal. We really liked what we had seen of the town so far and wanted to do some more exploring. As much as we really liked the Rosco hostel and the atmosphere there, their private room (without the discount) is as expensive as a nice hotel room so we decided to find some more cost effective accommodations. After checking on some more local hotels, we found one that fit the bill. Clean, secure parking for Tigger and walking distance to the centro, for under $30/night.

So we got our key and began unloading, and this is where our adventure began. Lori left the door to our room unlocked (at least she swears she did) and we went back down to get the rest of our stuff. You might imagine what happened next. We got back upstairs and yup, the door to our room was locked. No problem, the nice young man at the front desk got the spare key and tried to unlock the door - tried! All together he and some of the other staff tried for about a half an hour to get the door open. Seems the door wasn’t locked after all. The room was on the second floor with a balcony overlooking the street and luckily we left the balcony door open. After climbing up a ladder and in to our room, the young man checked on the door from the inside only to discover it truly was broken!

Needless to say we ended up with a different room. Now to get our stuff. He began tossing all our gear down to me over the balcony, one item at a time.

Lori helped too, kind of like when Tigger had a dirt nap, Lori helped by taking pictures ;). I got a little nervous when the guy was about to drop our laptop down to me, instead, it along with our helmets, got handed down with the help of another staffer who climbed halfway up the ladder. We had a good chuckle over it afterwards, certainly our most adventurous hotel stay so far.

We spent the next couple of days soaking up the atmosphere in and around the centro.

Shoe shine/news stand. There are no less than a dozen shoe shine stands around the main square.

That’s a mean looking trunk you got there.

We became regulars at Cafe Grano, great coffee and a killer desert menu. It’s also a great place to people watch since it’s right in the main square.

Lori found a huge and I mean huge, outdoor craft market to explore.

Hey, whataya think you’re doing? Put that back!

Iglesia de Santo Domingo, built in the 17th century.

There are 3 main pedestrian walkways (or andadors) in town.

All are filled with indigenous people selling their crafts to all the tourists. This entrepreneur not only carries her stock of blankets and sweaters but also her kid. Kid #2 in tow learns the family trade from an early age.

That’s one of the things that stands out here in town and Mexico in general. All the kids working in the street. Instead of playing with their friends they are out in the street shining shoes, selling candy, little bracelets and nicknacks. Indigenous women teach their kids the craft from a very early age, every day is bring-your-kid-to-work day for them. It’s just life down here.

Right in the centro is the Catedral de San Cristobal, built 1528. Beautifully lit up with the setting sun.

Backside of the catedral.

There is much to photograph it's easy to hang out here for hours.

Last edited:
At this rate we may never leave San Cristobal

Lately we’ve been changing direction quite a bit. I have to say that I absolutely love the freedom to be able to do that. No timelines or schedules to keep, it’s almost intoxicating. We definitely started out very driven to get to some of the places on our bucket list: from Newfoundland to Alaska, HU meeting in BC, then south to Ushuaia before it gets too cold. But that has changed somewhat. That destination is no longer the driving force being everything. Ever since the HU meeting in BC we decided to slow down and enjoy things more, putting that into practice almost immediately coming down the Pacific coast as we stuck around at various places that we liked, and then in California. I think this adventure was always about the journey in between those destinations and not the destination itself. Maybe it’s just that I have a better understanding of what those words mean now.

Our stay here in San Cristobal seems to have somehow dragged out from one day to another to another. We’re on Guatemala’s doorstep and had full intentions of being there already. First we stayed an extra day for Sumidero Canyon, then we realized that it was the weekend. Now this might seem strange to some, but we rarely have any clue what day of the week it is. Some people lose track of time, we lose track of days & weeks, I’ve even forgot what month it was recently. I blame it on our lack of schedule although to be honest, I kind of like it. What’s the weekend got to do with anything? Nothing really. But my understanding is that the borders are busier on weekends and typically understaffed. So we thought let’s wait till Monday.

Prior to arriving in San Cristobal we made the decision we would stop in Antigua, Guatemala to take some Spanish lessons. Now we know that some people say you don’t need to know the language to travel while others say it’s definitely helpful. I realize this is an individual thing, but we feel like we fall into the latter group. Not being able to communicate added to our disconnected feeling during the first few weeks in Mexico.

So how’s this for another change of direction? Monday rolled around and by the time I came out of the shower Lori found a Spanish school here in San Cristobal and said “how about taking Spanish lessons right here?” It’s an easy thought to entertain since I really like the town. “Sure,” I said. So after breakfast we headed out to the school where we met one of the teachers and decided we would try it out for a couple of days. If it works out, great, if not, Antigua it is.

Our second day of Spanish school and we might be staying a month! No really! School went well both days so we asked if they knew where we could rent something for a week or two. Jose Carlos, the administrative assistant drove us up the road to a place the school rents out and gave us the grand tour.

I can’t tell you how excited we were about having a full kitchen. This one is even better as it comes with all our stuff already here ;)

Tigger has a home, safe and sound.

And the best part is the view from our huge balcony. Ya this will do!

The only question is for how long? We initially decided on two weeks so as not to get too far behind schedule (you know, the schedule we don’t have) but after thinking about it overnight we decided on an entire month. It’s 2000 pesos per week or 5000 for the month, so we thought why not? A month it is. Hopefully we'll know a little more than “cerveza por favor” by then. At the very least, I’ll definitely know more about cervezas.

Not sure what this is going to do to our trip as far as timing. I can say with certainty that the light on making it to Ushuaia is pretty dim if we stay here for a month but it feels like the right thing to do. We are super stoked about having our own place for a little while, our own kitchen, even the TV and internet are included - woohoo!

We've become foster parents!!

We've become foster parents!! We have temporarily adopted a young boy named Billy and his dog Bess from our friends Kim and Seb of Wandering Souls. Billy and Bess are the brainchild and braindog of two great people Beau and Trish from Australia. Billy and Bess are travelling the world and represent the faceless tragedy that are orphans/street kids and abandoned dogs. They represent hope. Check out their Facebook page here

When we took them in we planned on heading south quickly but as is the case with travelling we saw a squirrel and off we went in another direction so Billy and Bess will likely not stay with us for much longer. We definitely love what they stand for and fully support the cause.

While we've been in Mexico we have been overwhelmed by the number of street kids and stray dogs and cats we have seen. We know that this isn't even the worst that the world has to offer however the numbers are staggering. I have read that in Mexico City alone there are 20,000 street dogs euthanized every month. That's heartbreaking. What's more heartbreaking is the way in which it is done. I won't say how but it isn't the painless good night that happens in Canada that's for sure. There are some rescues but they don't even make a dent in the numbers.

As a complete sucker for anything on four paws I have had a very hard time while in San Cristobal. I have enquired of local people and the consensus is there is no rescue here. We are in a residential neighbourhood and the number of dogs is overwhelming. We watched a pack of about 7 or 8 fighting the other day. Another has had a litter of puppies since we have been here and still more are injured and obviously ill. Apart from staying permanently and setting up our own shelter there is little we can do, but believe me the thought has crossed my mind. We put out food for them and it is gobbled up by morning. That's the least we can do.

Don't even get me started about the street kids here selling stuff and offering to shine your shoes. Those are the one's in the tourist area. Elsewhere is a much different and more sad story. I could go on but I'm sure you get the picture. It is much like orphaned and abandoned children anywhere in the world. They do their best to survive, that is all.

I'm not trying to ruin anyone's day, just bring awareness to the situation in one part of North America. We often forget that Mexico is part of North America. It gets lumped in with Latin America and Central America but in reality it is our very very poor sibling. Of course we can learn from Mexican people. They have an overwhelming sense of family, they look out for one another. They don't complain. They just do what needs to be done to get by. It's actually quite inspiring.

As I've said before we have totally fallen in love with the culture and people of Mexico and believe they should have every opportunity we have. If we can bring any attention to this we will. I'm sure as we travel further into many other countries we will repeat this over and over again. For now Mexico gets our attention and our respect.

It gets cold here in San Cristobal so we made Billy and Bess some warm accessories. Nobody should have to be cold.

Billy and Bess come to school with us.

A street dog meets a dog with a home.

Our neighbours yard. They cook, do laundry, play, eat and do pretty much everything in that area. They also have a huge family dinner most weekends. They laugh and listen to music and keep their 5 dogs in the yard where they are safe and fed.

~Lori

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom