Buying A New Motorcycle - Not enough time to ride? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying A New Motorcycle - Not enough time to ride?

Its true. Peoples situation in life change. Before I had my daughter, I had time to ride.

Frankly, now, I'd rather spend time with her while she is young. Always have time to ride later.

I put the bike up for sale, not anxious to sell. Still take it out when I "have time" as I still enjoy it very much, but definitely not a priority and won't weep if it sells.

I work full time and have a 14 mo old. I commute every day on the bike. I find it more relaxing then in the car.

This last week like every week I'm on the clock 8-5 each day, actually show up at around 7. It's simply not safe for me to slab on the highway on my crotch rocket that early before my coffees, so I drive no matter the weather. If I actually get off work at 5, I'm back at the garage at 6, I now have 3 hours of daylight, 2 of which are full of traffic, but wait, there's dinner with the gf at around 7 every night, so riding needs to wait for that, we usually hang out until 8:30 before the TV even gets turned on, and assuming I geared up and got out it would be almost 9pm. Can't get to the twisties in any reasonable timeframe, no light anyways, animals out in the boonies etc. and if I plan on getting some, I'd better be in bed by 11pm so I can get at least 6 hours of sleep to repeat this tomorrow.

Today I rode almost 500k because my gf made plans, if we were both sitting around at home I'd spend the day with her cause that's what my priority is tbh. So...yeah even young guys don't always have time to ride. Even if I was single you have to factor in errands like groceries, going to the range, family time...holding down a full time job there's not a lot of time in the day to ride unless you commute and commuting on a Daytona you need to be a masochist. I'm also over doing hooligan stuff late at night.

Last edited:
This last week like every week I'm on the clock 8-5 each day, actually show up at around 7. It's simply not safe for me to slab on the highway on my crotch rocket that early before my coffees, so I drive no matter the weather. If I actually get off work at 5, I'm back at the garage at 6, I now have 3 hours of daylight, 2 of which are full of traffic, but wait, there's dinner with the gf at around 7 every night, so riding needs to wait for that, we usually hang out until 8:30 before the TV even gets turned on, and assuming I geared up and got out it would be almost 9pm. Can't get to the twisties in any reasonable timeframe, no light anyways, animals out in the boonies etc. and if I plan on getting some, I'd better be in bed by 11pm so I can get at least 6 hours of sleep to repeat this tomorrow.

Today I rode almost 500k because my gf made plans, if we were both sitting around at home I'd spend the day with her cause that's what my priority is tbh. So...yeah even young guys don't always have time to ride. Even if I was single you have to factor in errands like groceries, going to the range, family time...holding down a full time job there's not a lot of time in the day to ride unless you commute and commuting on a Daytona you need to be a masochist. I'm also over doing hooligan stuff late at night.

This sounds about right, about half a decade ago for me.
Has its ups and downs, but still find time to get a few rides in a year. Just now have to schedule them ahead of time.

my good friend said it best the other day "remember years ago when we could just get up off the couch and go do ****?....yeah. Miss that."

It's an excuse like any other excuse, e.g. "I don't have time to work out"

BS. If you really wanted to do it, you would find the time to do it.

+1 this I have two days a week when my commute is shorter so I "could" sleep in until 5:45. Instead I am up at 4:45 and if the weather cooperates I ride the bike to the gym, work out and then go to work. right now on my "longer days" the commute is 147.5 km door to door EACH way. It is a mix of city country and slab. But it is a 300 km ride each day. When I bought my 2010 in 2012 it had only 2800 KM on it. I am friends with the sales manager so i asked him what is up with that. Turns out a guy bought it, rode it to Daytona bike week, bought a HD while there rode the bike back and sold it, (at a loss I am sure) back to the dealership. He had it for 11 days...

Now I am single but I only get one day a week off. I try to schedule a couple of rides a season with a buddy of mine for that day off usually means up at 5 out the door by 5:30 and back by about 6 pm. I MAKE time for the ride.

Something's gotta give eventually, and at the top of the list (especially cause in Canada we have 9 month long winters) it's riding.

If you really want to ride, you'll find time. People who find excuses either don't really want to do it or feel some sort of outside pressure that they give in to.

Do you have children? Children that actually live with you 24/7? Sure, it's easy to say "you'll find time". And if, as a full-time, working mother, I feel the "outside pressure" to spend time with my child instead of riding, well, that's my choice. My children are my priority. Do I feel a twinge of guilt when I get up on a Saturday/Sunday morning and head out for a ride, leaving her at home? Yes, I do. So, I recently purchased a cruiser (rode a 250 zzr) so I can take my daughter for rides with me sometimes. Being a parent, among other things, is about making sacrifices. You do what you have to do.

Do you have children? Children that actually live with you 24/7? Sure, it's easy to say "you'll find time". And if, as a full-time, working mother, I feel the "outside pressure" to spend time with my child instead of riding, well, that's my choice. My children are my priority. Being a parent, among other things, is about making sacrifices. You do what you have to do.

Well said.

Kids are only young once, and for a short time.

When I'm old, and sitting in my rocking chair wondering why my daughter doesn't come to visit and spend time with me, the last thing I want to hear is.... "remember the times when I was young and wanted nothing more than for you to spend time with me, but you were always too busy for me and went out riding instead?"

Family first, everything else later.

Well said.

When I'm old, and sitting in my rocking chair wondering why my daughter doesn't come to visit and spend time with me, the last thing I want to hear is.... "remember the times when I was young and wanted nothing more than for you to spend time with me, but you were always too busy for me and went out riding instead?"

Thank you. I wanted to say something along the lines of what you said above. Reminds me of the song 'Cat's in the Cradle'.

Same for me. I sold my ZX10R last year because I had to put my daughter first and I actually couldn't find the time to ride and only put on 2500 kms on my bike last year but 2000 (boring) of those was going to work and 500 for fun, so I sold the bike because I "had no time to ride". This year it's better because now she is older and in daycare so, new bike and I do have more time. Not a lot but more than last year, so got another bike.

It doesn't always have to be about the kids...I don't have any and have been riding since 1983..but still go thru times where I just am too busy to ride....my work requires a van so it is after hours only. Often I am taking enough stuff or friends with me that I need the car. Our weather can be so unpredictable..furnace on in the morning..air cond in the afternoon. Pretty hard to dress for that!
Gone thru many years without my own bike for those reasons and also the cost...sold my bike one time when I figured out with the little I was riding that I was paying $1 for every km..just for the insurance.
However I have always missed not having a bike when the weather is nice and I just want to go for a ride. Nothing can take it's place.
If you can afford it and you can find a little time....not much on wheels is more fun....well maybe my race car but that is even a crazier way to blow my money.

btw looking at a second bike right now for those bumpier and rougher back roads...

Riding a bike is a lot like being addicted to drugs with the exception that with help you can quit drugs!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
It doesn't always have to be about the kids...I don't have any and have been riding since 1983..but still go thru times where I just am too busy to ride.....

You are absolutely right; choosing not to ride doesn't always have to be about the kids. We are all different; living different lives and experiences. That's a fact and a reality.

The bottom line, ride when/if you can. And respect the differences of others :)

Do you have children? Children that actually live with you 24/7? Sure, it's easy to say "you'll find time". And if, as a full-time, working mother, I feel the "outside pressure" to spend time with my child instead of riding, well, that's my choice. My children are my priority. Do I feel a twinge of guilt when I get up on a Saturday/Sunday morning and head out for a ride, leaving her at home? Yes, I do. So, I recently purchased a cruiser (rode a 250 zzr) so I can take my daughter for rides with me sometimes. Being a parent, among other things, is about making sacrifices. You do what you have to do.

I don't think OP was concerned with a bike affecting his relationship with his children. Correct me if I'm wrong. People who have kids usually know that it is time consuming.

Anyhow, everyone do whatever they want, just be honest about it and don't come up with lame excuses to cover up for your laziness, or giving in to peer pressure. That was my point, not whether OP wants to be a good parent.

Yes, not the first time I've heard a girl say they've fallen asleep on the back on a long trip.

Do you ever go anywhere by yourself? If you do, then you have time to ride. Sure it's not a track, your'e not knee dragging and going nuts, but any time on the bike is nice. Unless it's 40C, then I might want to take the car. Riding in the cold spoiled me.

Think saturday mornings...what the hell do you even do during that time..most likely sleep in. So just get up like every other day of the week and you have yourself an hour, two hours or more to run the bike out of town and back.

It's 47 degree C out here and ppl are riding.....no gloves, helmet nor any gear....I wont say where I am ...but God allmigthy I cannot believe this!

I know from friends that it is no different with boats, aircraft or any other recreational vehicles.

I have already put 5 000 KS this season but 4K were on my ride to NC last week. I am now trying to use the bike on casual Fridays at work so at least I ride it once a week.

It is all about choices, Golf game or a ride or sleeping in on Sunday or getting up for an early ride before the kids wake up.

Last edited:
After reading this thread I don't think I will ever have kids.
I tell the gf she can have me in winter, but I'm taken in the summer by my other half.

DemonPig. My question about having children was not directed to the OP, Demon. It was directed to you. You asked to be corrected if you're 'wrong'. I think you are. A person may *think* they know that having a child is time-consuming, but until it becomes a reality, it's a whole new ball game.

For a person to say that another rider chooses not to ride due to 'laziness' or 'giving in to peer pressure', is just arrogant. We all have different priorities and responsibilities. Heck, I'd like to play soccer this evening, but instead, I have 'chosen' to celebrate my daughter's 16th birthday by doing something she would like to do.

I already said that having kids is different - what don't you get? I respect the responsibilities that come with having them. It's not Kids vs. Bikes. It's about people who are not really into something but are afraid to admit it for some reason and come up with cover-up stories. Obviously if you have kids, health issues, taking care of someone in a hospital - anything serious - that's a valid reason.

Other than that, if you like riding - you will find time to ride. I work full-time, renovating my house, working on my vintage car, spend time with family and friends, go on vacations, camping, etc. Still ride. Because I like to and I want to.

Back
Top Bottom