Buying A New Motorcycle - Not enough time to ride? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying A New Motorcycle - Not enough time to ride?

Stathakos

I am looking into buying a new bike, and I am always coming across the lines of people saying "I never have enough time to ride"

I was just wondering if anyone calls BS on this as a whole or is it just based on the specific situation?

Just wondering what your thoughts were,

Thanks!

If you are single you can pretty much decide how you want to spend your time. If you have a family with young children, this decision is pretty much made for you, and it doesn't include much motorcycle riding.

so it's situation specific

I don't understand that because its beautiful outside many days out of the year and even a basic commute is getting out on their bike. There are people with too many children that have to live the "Van dad" scenario where if they aren't working the are dealing with their family's crap but for the most part, I believe its more an issue with getting in too much trouble (tickets, demerits, high insurance), no longer enjoying riding or being forced to sell it for cash or angry spouse.

hey nice to see u here.. guess you wanna ride huh?

yeah lots of people ride as a hobby and don't have time. one of the last times i was at jimmys, someone bought a used 07? ninja 500, he was becoming the 5th owner and the bike only had like 7500km on it or something. seller was 35-45yo said he didn't have time to ride. i know guys with bikes that have been sitting around in their garages for 5+ years. i bought a 4 year old bike with less than 2k on it.

A guy in my m1 class tonight said he rode alot 25 years ago. Then he had a family, business and other time obligations. He blinked and now hes 50.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

hey nice to see u here.. guess you wanna ride huh?

yeah lots of people ride as a hobby and don't have time. one of the last times i was at jimmys, someone bought a used 07? ninja 500, he was becoming the 5th owner and the bike only had like 7500km on it or something. seller was 35-45yo said he didn't have time to ride. i know guys with bikes that have been sitting around in their garages for 5+ years. i bought a 4 year old bike with less than 2k on it.

yeah bro! LOL nice seeing you too and @peterm15 too ahaha,

my only reason for even asking this question is due to the fact that I see this so often I thought it was just something people put on their ads to help them sell. Such as "never raced or dropped". Thanks for answering it though, makes more sense!

For some it's true. Others it's bs. Example... no time to ride = bought it and can't afford the insurance or just got nailed doing 50 over and it has to go ;)

I work full time, I have a wife, I have a 7 month old son. I've managed to put 1500k each month, since i bought the bike two months ago. Yes its hard to find time to ride some times, and there are times I really want to go out but cant, but you and choose. So since i don't really get the leisure ride during the week, I'll go out late night on weekends for 3 or 4 hours. Lose a bit of sleep, but its worth it. You can always go out for a short ride. I just cant do the really long rides any more.

Last edited:
my only time to ride is couple of times to commute to work (have to commute with wife the other time) and occasional early early weekend morning before everyone else is full up. This is the best I can do but I enjoy every minute of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me one big reason to get the bike in the first place, is to commute to work.
I'm fortunate to have a nice commute from Stouffville to Richmond Hill (404 & 16th Av.), so I'm on a country road with little traffic for most of it.
Been on my bike every day this week :)

Been an owner of a bike for only a couple of months and so far I have put only 300 kms:(
Good riding sunny days have been a little rarer this year but frankly I have to balance out my free time with other interests like Golf and tennis.
I dont ride to work mainly because I dont like the bike being in the sun morning to evening and the commute is only 15 kms.
Planning to go for long rides in the weekends, I havent ridden in the night so far, maybe I should start...
I dont want to have only 999 kms at the end of year...

This is basically my situation. I try to commute with her 2up but she falls asleep sometimes and I don't like her helmet bonking me in rush hour traffic.

my only time to ride is couple of times to commute to work (have to commute with wife the other time) and occasional early early weekend morning before everyone else is full up. This is the best I can do but I enjoy every minute of it.

I ride when I can. I have a family with daughters that dance 5 nights a week. So I cage it to those things. But I ride to work whenever I can and sometimes take the long way home! On nice weekends, I try to get out the door early and am home by noon so I have my family time. It just takes time to schedule. If you wanna ride, you will. Those that don't have time, well, I feel bad for them!!

This is basically my situation. I try to commute with her 2up but she falls asleep sometimes and I don't like her helmet bonking me in rush hour traffic.

Falls asleep? Really? wow! Thats some intense tiredness!

Falls asleep? Really? wow! Thats some intense tiredness!

Women fall asleep on the back all the time. It's the hum and vibration, and isolation quietness of being in a helmet. zzzzzzzz...

Hahaha. Hey Greek. Didn't even look at the name.

If you go look at a bike get adi or I too come with. I'm no expert but as you know mechanically inclined.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Yes, not the first time I've heard a girl say they've fallen asleep on the back on a long trip.

Do you ever go anywhere by yourself? If you do, then you have time to ride. Sure it's not a track, your'e not knee dragging and going nuts, but any time on the bike is nice. Unless it's 40C, then I might want to take the car. Riding in the cold spoiled me.

Think saturday mornings...what the hell do you even do during that time..most likely sleep in. So just get up like every other day of the week and you have yourself an hour, two hours or more to run the bike out of town and back.

Yes, not the first time I've heard a girl say they've fallen asleep on the back on a long trip.

Do you ever go anywhere by yourself? If you do, then you have time to ride. Sure it's not a track, your'e not knee dragging and going nuts, but any time on the bike is nice. Unless it's 40C, then I might want to take the car. Riding in the cold spoiled me.

Think saturday mornings...what the hell do you even do during that time..most likely sleep in. So just get up like every other day of the week and you have yourself an hour, two hours or more to run the bike out of town and back.

You know what, that does sound very nice and I do sleep in on the weekends, I think i will wake up early this weekend to give it a go, sometime riding alone can be boring but when you are on the bike it is fun and it feels really nice. I typically make time to go ride after work, like around the evening because being stuck 9-5 and after dinner, so I don't typically get to do anything during day time, but later at night around 10pm i go for a hr or so and come back clean up and get ready for bed.

I go out for rides probably 500-1000km/year max, the rest is commuting. If I only rode for those leisure times for max 1000km I would have given up riding years ago. I commute on the bike and as such lots of times take the scenic route home, or play photo tag and discover something new. Breaks up the mundane life we live.

There is always time to ride, if you have such a job where you require a car to commute and have a family with plans in evenings and weekends, then yeah a bike probably going to take back seat to kids/wife and odds are will be on kijiji asking what you paid because it only has 1500km on a 3 year old bike, and will be posted in the wtf high priced bikes thread.

Back
Top Bottom