PSA - keep your address up to date | GTAMotorcycle.com

PSA - keep your address up to date

Bike Cop

I'd like to try and earn my keep on this forum, and give some friendly advice on things that may keep you out of trouble. Here's an easy one:
If you move house, change your address with the MTO. You only have a few days to do this, but it makes a big difference if they deliver a notice of suspension to your last known address.

I can't count the number of times that I've heard the line, "I never got my notice of suspension in the mail". For the past few years, the MTO has been telling officers that the suspended party was 'deemed to have been served', after only 4-5 days from the start date of the suspension. The fines start at $1000 for driving while under suspension, and for the third conviction we are now seeing custodial sentences around 14 days.

Just food for thought.

ya 'cause nothing ever gets lost in the mail... ever...

You'd be surprised actually.

Ive been suspended 2 times due to paperwork errors. Thankfully the errors were the courts so my reinstatement fees were waved. Still a hassel. One of which I never received a notice of suspension and didnt know until I was pulled over on a routine stop. The cop was nice enough to NOT ticket me as I was only 2 min from home.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

How often do people around here get suspended that this is a big concern?

There was a semi-compelling story about someone who got their license suspended via an unpaid fine... can't figure out who it was, though. The same kind of administrative snafu that would lead to your license getting suspended in the first place could lead to you not knowing about it.

There is tons of reasons you could be suspended criminal, medical, administrative it's probably mot uncommon.

+1. Also add unpaid fines, excess demerit points, 3/7/30 day ADLS suspensions for alcohol, 90 day ADLS for alcohol, and failure to pay family support. Lots of reasons that could find you walking home. Several of those have automatic impounds for the vehicle.

Last edited:
How are you suppose pay family support if you can't get to work?
That's pants on your head retarded.

ebike? ;P

I've also wondered about the logic of that as well. Some people don't live in the city and public transportation is impractical to go to work, and pick up their kid on the weekend.

I just need to teach my wife to open the mail,drove 4 months with an expired sticker thanks to my lovely wife,now I get my own licence renewed.

does "family support" include alimony? Because this would make sense then.

example:
ex-wife cry's about not getting a check on time.
court takes away husbands driver license
husband looses job.
no money to write a check with

ex-wife now has something to cry about.

how do i get the MTO to actually send my paperwork to the address on my license, rather than to my parents.

i have a vision waiver. the mto sends every renewal there, never to the address ive changed it to 3 times

I'd like to try and earn my keep on this forum, and give some friendly advice on things that may keep you out of trouble. Here's an easy one:
If you move house, change your address with the MTO. You only have a few days to do this, but it makes a big difference if they deliver a notice of suspension to your last known address.

I can't count the number of times that I've heard the line, "I never got my notice of suspension in the mail". For the past few years, the MTO has been telling officers that the suspended party was 'deemed to have been served', after only 4-5 days from the start date of the suspension. The fines start at $1000 for driving while under suspension, and for the third conviction we are now seeing custodial sentences around 14 days.

Just food for thought.

Can you also tell us how you will give a written notice when you pull someone over with a suspended licence and your system doesn't show that ones already been given. The mailed letter doesn't mean 'jack'.... Unless it registered mail, and I'm not sure that even counts, there is no proof it was delivered or received and therefore can not be considered as having been served...

Back
Top Bottom