PSA - keep your address up to date | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

PSA - keep your address up to date

They can give you a ticket as he said the MTO is now considering the person served if it was sent to the last registered address. Same with a civil lawsuit if I sue I have several methods to "serve" the other party one of which is sending it to the last "known address". It isn't up to the officer on the street to "prove" you have been served. Same with the civil case as long as I swear that the notice of the lawsuit was sent to that "last known address", usually via a receipt for the registered mail, then the court deems service has been completed. Otherewise people can simply avoid a lawsuit by dodging service. That is something for the court to rule upon. Registered mail isn't required. Some people, (IF they know a suspension is forthcoming), will simply never collect the registered mail. Does this mean that they are permitted to continue to drive for 5 - 10 years as long as they never accept the registered mail?

In my experience the court will rule that the offender was indeed "served" if the crown has copies of the letters that were sent. i knew a fellow who knew his licence was suspended as he got the letter, but continued to drive. He was stopped and charged. Went to court and swore under oath he never received it. Crown asked do you continue to reside at XXXX, he said yes. Crown then produced a copy of a letter addressed to him at the address he stated he resided at. Conviction was registered.

As hard as it is to believe people will try to "play" the system, just like those whose vehicle is up for repo and they either park it elsewhere or in a locked garage so it can't be grabbed by the repo man..lol

Point is Bike cop is simply giving heads up to all, that is why he tilted it a PSA, (Public Service Announcement). Regardless if weather WE think the proof of service is sufficient it is what the court will ACCEPT as prove the driver was served that matters.

Can you also tell us how you will give a written notice when you pull someone over with a suspended licence and your system doesn't show that ones already been given. The mailed letter doesn't mean 'jack'.... Unless it registered mail, and I'm not sure that even counts, there is no proof it was delivered or received and therefore can not be considered as having been served...

Last edited:
Personal service roadside is tracked. If you are given a notice of suspension by an officer, it is recorded.

Don't forget about judgement from a court order and medical aswell.... Some of them are hta 7 day impounds, some are 45/90/180 day criminal impounds. Ie drive disqualified. 6 days to notify the ministry!

I'd like to try and earn my keep on this forum, and give some friendly advice on things that may keep you out of trouble. Here's an easy one:
If you move house, change your address with the MTO. You only have a few days to do this, but it makes a big difference if they deliver a notice of suspension to your last known address.

I can't count the number of times that I've heard the line, "I never got my notice of suspension in the mail". For the past few years, the MTO has been telling officers that the suspended party was 'deemed to have been served', after only 4-5 days from the start date of the suspension. The fines start at $1000 for driving while under suspension, and for the third conviction we are now seeing custodial sentences around 14 days.

Just food for thought.

Because moving isnt stressful enough I'm just gonna go to a government building. lol jk thanks for reminding us.

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

Because moving isnt stressful enough I'm just gonna go to a government building. lol jk thanks for reminding us.

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk
actually, you can do it online through service ontario. i did take like 3 months to do it though, lol

Gf's Dad found out his license had been suspended for years and no one ever told him. It was a mix up with paperwork when he was late paying a speeding ticket. You'd think when he renewed his insurance or plates someone would notice, but no.

Back
Top Bottom