2009 Monster 696 Starter Motor Question | GTAMotorcycle.com

2009 Monster 696 Starter Motor Question

Chaos

This might be a long shot here, but I figure it could not hurt to ask so...

The starter motor on my 09 696 is starting to fail. After being quoted a steep price for Ducati replacement, I've been looking to source it myself. My research has led me to the following information.

The parts catalogue has the part listed as: 270.4.011.1A

There is an ebay auction that has the part listed as: 270.4001.1A

On subsequent searches, the latter part number links to the Denso Part 128000-6050 & 128000-6051

There are a number of sites out there that sell replacement starters, that are not Denso/OEM, but they are about 1/3 - 1/2 of the cost.

So my questions are:

1. Are 270.4.011.1A & 270.4001.1A the same part?
2. Is a generic replacement starter a good buy or is it better to get the OEM part?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Perhaps you can find an old dusty shop that will rebuild it for reasonable amount. There are still a few craftman around with such skills .

The starter motor on my 09 696 is starting to fail. After being quoted a steep price for Ducati replacement, I've been looking to source it myself. My research has led me to the following information.

On subsequent searches, the latter part number links to the Denso Part 128000-6050 & 128000-6051

There are a number of sites out there that sell replacement starters, that are not Denso/OEM, but they are about 1/3 - 1/2 of the cost.

So my questions are:

2. Is a generic replacement starter a good buy or is it better to get the OEM part?

So my questions are:

Trying the Monster forum at http://www.ducatimonster.org/ Lots of helpful guys there.

I'm assuming that you have checked your negative battery connection (to the frame).They are notorious for corrosion and a poor ground will give an intermittent start.

If the actual starter motor is the problem they are not hard to rebuild, have done it on a VFR and GS750 before. Feel free to PM me if you need help.

Rebuild?
It is simple to replace the brushes or bearings, but you will never find an armature or field coils.
Both a VFR or GS have generic starters, so parts are available, but a built in Asia Ducati? Good luck.

OP: I suggest you take your starter to Start Auto Electric (they're in the book) and see what they say. (I used to be in the business and Start is the only shop I will recommend in the city)(...and if anyone can rebuild that starter Start can).

Lost track of this thread.

I ended up buying a new motor. I got the exact same motor from Denso. Imported it from the States. It ended up costing me about 30% of the Ducati OEM part.

I suppose I could have fixed the existing starter, but from a time and convenience standpoint, it was just easier to buy a new one.

Back
Top Bottom