Starting May 26: Police - Licence Plate Initiative | GTAMotorcycle.com

Starting May 26: Police - Licence Plate Initiative

DECIMIS

Just a heads-up!

"Officers from Central West Division, along with the Traffic Services Branch, will be conducting a week-long initiative aimed at ensuring licence plates are easy to read.

Starting Monday, May 26, 2014, officers will be stopping vehicles that don’t have their entire plate visible. Drivers will be issued an offence notice for “Entire plate not completely visible” contrary to the Highway Traffic Act 13(2), and then be afforded the opportunity to correct the problem before a conviction is registered. If the issue is not corrected, the set fine for the offence is $110." http://www.drps.ca/internet_explorer/whatsnew/whatsnew_view.asp?ID=28113

The wording of the news-release leads me to believe that you'll most likely have to deal with the prosecutor to show that you corrected the issue.

Looks like they're more interested in faded/indiscernible plates rather than: vertical/upside-down mounting, clear license plate covers that are now urine yellow, dealer and vanity plate covers...

seems like a pretty subjective thing to ticket against?

Cop: I had difficulty reading your plate... I did not find it easy

Offender: Maybe your eyesight is poor, maybe you should take up reffing?

I have a dealer bracket on my car

Your dealer thanks you for advertising for them.

It's true too. I once had blank ones I bought and the dealer took them off and put his ad ones on. By that point I didn't care anymore but they care enough about the free ads that they will take something off your car to put theirs on.

absolute most bs ticket i ever got was because there was a little snow on my and a light haze of dirt on the plate during the first snowfall this year. it was still very clear to read the plate..
i fought it and won but man what a waste of time, the cop initially pulled me over saying my rear window was too dark and she thought someone had a gun to my head...
argued with her and said theres no law on rear window tint she got ****** off left and came back with obstructed plate, i took pics talked to the prosecutor and he dropped the charge.

seems like a pretty subjective thing to ticket against?

Cop: I had difficulty reading your plate... I did not find it easy

Offender: Maybe your eyesight is poor, maybe you should take up reffing?

This. Had my plate in the same location for a couple years. I have been tailed and pulled over in many jurisdictions by their respective police force and not one officer mentioned anything about the plate. Yet one day I'm cruising along the 401.. TPS pulls me over and hands me this $110 ticket. :pottytrain1:

This. Had my plate in the same location for a couple years. I have been tailed and pulled over in many jurisdictions by their respective police force and not one officer mentioned anything about the plate. Yet one day I'm cruising along the 401.. TPS pulls me over and hands me this $110 ticket. :pottytrain1:

Yup got pulled over by OPP for my plate. Officer walks up and says "good afternoon Mr. Collison do you have your license, ownership and proof of insurance?" I said "may I ask why you pulled me over?" and he stated "your plate is not visible". I then asked "then how did you know my last name?" he then quickly told me to enjoy the rest of my day...lol

Yup got pulled over by OPP for my plate. Officer walks up and says "good afternoon Mr. Collison do you have your license, ownership and proof of insurance?" I said "may I ask why you pulled me over?" and he stated "your plate is not visible". I then asked "then how did you know my last name?" he then quickly told me to enjoy the rest of my day...lol

Nice.

Brilliant.

Drivers will be issued an offence notice for “Entire plate not completely visible” contrary to the Highway Traffic Act 13(2)
Wow, never knew that was the actual wording! When I went to court the judge seemed to think that as long as the numbers and sticker were visible then you were good to go!

13. Number plate to be kept clean
(2) Every number plate shall be kept free from dirt and obstruction and shall be affixed so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times, and the view of the number plate shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments to the vehicle or the load carried. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (7).

I would have sat there gloating and waved as he drove off. That's classic :lmao:

you are the man

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

This should be of particular interest to people who run what I like to call "runner plates." If your plate is raked at a significant angle, tucked up under the tail, or otherwise difficult for someone behind you to see then you'd best stay out of Durham for a while.

absolute most bs ticket i ever got was because there was a little snow on my and a light haze of dirt on the plate during the first snowfall this year. it was still very clear to read the plate..
i fought it and won but man what a waste of time, the cop initially pulled me over saying my rear window was too dark and she thought someone had a gun to my head...
argued with her and said theres no law on rear window tint she got ****** off left and came back with obstructed plate, i took pics talked to the prosecutor and he dropped the charge.
I got the same thing during a snowfall. The cop gave me a ticket for "dirty plate" which got blown out of the water when I went to court as there is no such offence. The offence should have been "obstructed plate". The best part was the cop had to stand in front of the magistrate and get raked over the coals for not doing his job properly and wasting the courts and my time.

Brilliant.

I would have sat there gloating and waved as he drove off. That's classic :lmao:

you are the man

I'm normally not quick witted but I was baffled as to why I was pulled over having not been pulled over for my plate before. The ending didn't go as quick as a wrote but it was quite humorous. I get pulled over about once a year for my plate but I try to be polite as possible when pleading my case roadside. I have yet to actually get a ticket but I know i'm on bought time.

I'm normally not quick witted but I was baffled as to why I was pulled over having not been pulled over for my plate before. The ending didn't go as quick as a wrote but it was quite humorous. I get pulled over about once a year for my plate but I try to be polite as possible when pleading my case roadside. I have yet to actually get a ticket but I know i'm on bought time.
what's wrong with your plate? why not remedy the problem?

why do you enjoy getting pulled over and having a roadside trial?

lmao. .... nice

what's wrong with your plate? why not remedy the problem?

why do you enjoy getting pulled over and having a roadside trial?

Because I hate the way the plate is mounted from the factory on the 07 CBR RR's. If I get a ticket I understand and I certainly wouldn't blame the officer for giving me one as it's subjective and not mounted in the factory location. I would however fight it and believe I would win since it is visible at all angles and distances. Most of the time they think it's a flipper plate but it is in a fixed position.

Back
Top Bottom