Sidi Crossfire vs. Alpinestars Tech 3 vs. Salomon Quest | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sidi Crossfire vs. Alpinestars Tech 3 vs. Salomon Quest

Seven

Do any of you dualsporters wear mx or dualsport specific boots? I've narrowed my choices down to these two models. Up to now I've been wearing Salomon Quest hiking boots. Light and supportive and they fit my feet like gloves. Or really good boots.

It's probably a stupid question. Sidi would be my first choice, it's too bad they're triple the price of the Alpinestars. That being said, I know the pro's.

Anybody know any con's?

Or should I just go with what I got?

Last edited:
I run low end thor mx boots on the klr and xrf, but my feet were soaked after 2 minutes on the marmora rail trail ride day, wheelie boy has some kind of waterproof (gortex?) sidis and his feet were dry...the boots however cost about a quarter of the cost of the klr...

random pic

Suzuki-Cafe-Racer-hydro-carbons.blogspot.com-1.jpg

I just picked up a pair of Sidi Crossfires from Kijiji tonight. I paid 360$ and will be trying them out in some single track this Friday. For the past two years I've been wearing cheap Thor MX boots and they're starting to wear thin where the boot "hinges" from shifting. The Sidi's seem a hell of a lot better constructed, but to be honest they are not at the moment more comfortable, but I'm sure they'll work in.

What type of riding do you do? I bought a pair of Thor 50/50 boots for '"dual sporting", but they are not that good quality or protection.

Personally I've come to the conclusion that I am going to buy the best I can, instead of buying cheaper more times. If I can only afford one 500$ piece of clothing, or what have you, a year, then so be it.

I've worn Oxtar (now called TCX) Infinity boots for a number of years on the street. They're a pretty good compromise for dual sport - they're much more supportive than regular street motorcycle boots, still comfortable enough to walk around in, and they've been totally waterproof. I've been wearing them for real off road riding too, but I'll probably pick up something more substantial soon.

Have you tried on the Crossfires or Tech3s yet? Any MX boot is going to be extremely rigid compared to your Salomons, and they can be kind of awful for walking around in, even if it is just from the parking lot to the front door. Hot too, in the summer.

I wear tech 3's, had them two seasons now. Great boot, good protection, but don't walk in them. Fairly water tight, and I ride in some very deep water areas, I'm hard on gear but they've lasted really well. Prior boot was a $100 Thor from royal, lasted well, but was never as comfortable or dry as the tech 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a pair of the
Sidi Discovery Rain adventure touring boots
http://www.revzilla.com/product/sidi-discovery-rain-boots
and the
Sidi Crossfire TA light duty MX boots
http://www.revzilla.com/product/sidi-crossfire-ta-boots

HUGE difference.

The Discovery's allow you to upshift and walk and somewhat modulate the rear brake.

The Crossfires? Fahgedabouddit. Almost can't feel a thing. Like dropping anchor on the rear brake the first few times. Slide city. Hit the Ganny a couple of times in them but they don't seem to be breaking in much.

I've ridden in well worn AStars Tech 3 MX boots and they felt similar to my newish Crossfire TA's in terms of feel or lack thereof. To the TA's credit though, they are easier to walk in than bottom of the line full on MX boots and feel significantly lighter too.

Bottom line. If you want protection, you're going to sacrifice feel. How much protection do you want?

Thanks for the input guys. Plenty of food for thought. I'm planning on riding out to Dualsport Plus tomorrow to try a few options on. But I think Crossfires may already be off the list, considering how stiff they are. (You can practically tell by looking.)

Best boot missing from your your list are the Gaerne SG12 or if you want to be lighter on the pocket book the SG10's. I was in the market last winter for a new pair of boots and after several ankle and foot injuries from lower end MX boots (661 Flight Boot, and Alpinestars Tech 3's) I decided I was going to put up the dough for a pair that actually had some serious protection.

My choice came down to the Sidi Crossfire or the Gaerne SG 12. After a lot of research on both boots my findings were that they were both top of the line for protection durability and longevity. Owners that had worn both all agreed that the Sidi fit narrower than the Gaerne which suited a wider foot better. The other major difference was that the Sidi took much longer to break in due to their construction. Gaerne utilizes a memory foam interior. I wasn't too worried about the break in time as I do a lot of riding in a season and I could put up with them being stiff for 10 hours. I have normal to slightly wide feet which made me pick the Gaerne's. Couldn't be happier and can definitevly say I will be buying another pair as my next boots.

That's great info. I hadn't considered width in a hard-shell boot. Not friendly at all. And my ankles are DONE. So I'm hoping the boots will sort of hold me all together. It's why the Salomon's are my everyday footwear. Now I gotta go research some Gaerne boots.

Square 1...

I have a pair of the
Sidi Discovery Rain adventure touring boots
http://www.revzilla.com/product/sidi-discovery-rain-boots
and the
Sidi Crossfire TA light duty MX boots
http://www.revzilla.com/product/sidi-crossfire-ta-boots

HUGE difference.

The Discovery's allow you to upshift and walk and somewhat modulate the rear brake.

The Crossfires? Fahgedabouddit. Almost can't feel a thing. Like dropping anchor on the rear brake the first few times. Slide city. Hit the Ganny a couple of times in them but they don't seem to be breaking in much.

I've ridden in well worn AStars Tech 3 MX boots and they felt similar to my newish Crossfire TA's in terms of feel or lack thereof. To the TA's credit though, they are easier to walk in than bottom of the line full on MX boots and feel significantly lighter too.

Bottom line. If you want protection, you're going to sacrifice feel. How much protection do you want?

Yeah the tech 3 is fine on the ktm riding serious woods. Wore them recently on the vstrom, had a hell of a time up shifting, and kept locking the rear brake... For any road use you really need more of an adventure style boot, I think they'd also be better designed for walking...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear tech 3's, had them two seasons now. Great boot, good protection, but don't walk in them. Fairly water tight, and I ride in some very deep water areas,

Im surprised, I also have tech3's and found they would get wet all the time. Even with water proof spray they just seemed to suck in the water. My solution was to buy some Army Gortex socks. http://armyissue.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/8/products_id/2663 I wade into water almost to the knee and my socks and feet are nice and dry.

Last edited:
The Tech3 is an OK offroad boot for cheap, but its pretty crap for street riding. It's stiff as hell, making rear brake control pretty hard, and it isn't the easiest to walk around in. I've bounced it off stumps and trees and it saved my foot, but doing it again I would probably look at the higher end Gaerne's with the hinged ankle.

I wear Gearne SG10. Got them before the SG12 existed over 5 years ago. Bottom 2/3rds of the boot is waterproof and the most comfortable I could find.

They have been through hell and there is no sign of diminished comfort or protection. The only repair I've had to make is when I ripped a toe cap off on a stump last summer. I'll easily get another couple seasons out of them and I ride/race at least 2 days a week for 8 months of the year.

Spend the money and get a quality boot.

I wear Gearne SG10. Got them before the SG12 existed over 5 years ago. Bottom 2/3rds of the boot is waterproof and the most comfortable I could find.

They have been through hell and there is no sign of diminished comfort or protection. The only repair I've had to make is when I ripped a toe cap off on a stump last summer. I'll easily get another couple seasons out of them and I ride/race at least 2 days a week for 8 months of the year.

Spend the money and get a quality boot.

+ what Wudzrydr said. I ended up with the Forma Adventure boot. I don't do any hard core off road, mostly fire roads and gravel and some two track but these are waterproof, sturdy, and all-day comfortable for riding and then for walking around in if I feel like stopping and exploring a bit. Similar to the Gaerne I think. Atomic Moto sells them and they do a great review. I tried going cheap twice and regretted it. MX boots were too stiff and uncomfortable as hell off the bike plus leaked water like crazy. I tried a lower height Alpinestar but still would get soaked just going through puddles. Should have spent the money in the first place!

I ended up with the Alpinestars - they were cheap on Kijiji and in like-new condition. I wore them home because I had nowhere to pack them, and the boots I was wearing were half the size. I see what you guys mean about shifting and walking though. They definitely need some time. Or rather, I need time to figure them out.

But they're badass, and isn't that what matters? (I know it's not. Just sayin'.)

I rode the Midhurst Trail Ride on Sunday in my new to me Sidi Crossfires and they're great. Horrible to walk in, but I really like how they basically have a boot inside a plastic shell. It hinges up and down really nice, but won't turn side to side. I'm really glad I ended up buying them.

I ended up with the Alpinestars - they were cheap on Kijiji and in like-new condition. I wore them home because I had nowhere to pack them, and the boots I was wearing were half the size. I see what you guys mean about shifting and walking though. They definitely need some time. Or rather, I need time to figure them out.

But they're badass, and isn't that what matters? (I know it's not. Just sayin'.)

Which Alpinestars did you get?

Back
Top Bottom