St Thomas rail trail ride | GTAMotorcycle.com

St Thomas rail trail ride

dirtbag

Anyone up for riding the abandoned rail line west of St Thomas? (I talked about doing this earlier but infact I didn't have my bike sorted - the new stator and R/R just arrived so this coming weekend should be no problem.)

Obviously being an old rail line this is no Ganny single track but I saw a couple videos Brian Helliwell posted on ODSC and looks like fun. I'm riding a DRZ400 but street bikes could likely tackle it.

What day works best best? Saturday or Sunday?

I'm not a die hard early riser and I have about an hours ride to get there so I'm thinking about 9am to start, but I'm flexible.

Chime in if you're up for it.

Rode the trail this past Sunday and was a little optimistic that it might be doable on a street bike. There were some huge puddles at the start and a number of good sized ones further along. (much bigger than anything seen in the video)

I had no trouble on my knobbie clad DRZ400 but a DR650 & KLR650 both with fairly street oriented tires struggled somewhat. I had to wade into almost knee deep water to get the KLR out of a puddle in the early going and later the same bike had to have the air filter removed and wrung out when it's front tire washed out planting both bike and rider in the wet.

Eventually we left the trail, headed south to the lakeshore and travelled back to Port Stanley for beer and lunch on a patio - none of us were willing to enter a restaurant as covered in mud as we were.

This was no day in the Ganny, but if you're in the London area it's worth the ride.

Tetnus shots required? :eek:

Definitely looks interesting, does it run parallel to train tracks? If I get a dual sport by next week I'd definitely be willing to check it out.

Back
Top Bottom