Transferring Moto License to California | GTAMotorcycle.com

Transferring Moto License to California

renntecher

I am in the process of relocating to California and was wondering if any one knows whether I am able to transfer my moto license from Ontario, Canada to California.

I tried looking at the DMV website but I didn't find any references - they mentioned out-of-state but not sure if that applies for international licenses.

If anyone has been through the process please chime in =)

Thanks!

No, you need to take a written driver's test in California. You cannot just transfer. You don't need the practical test.
Be aware all your past insurance history in Ontario means nothing in California, but you will likely pay much less anyway because US insurance is not corrupt like up here.

Congrats at your new job at Facebook, LinkedIn, or Google ;P

Thanks CafeRay - Appreciate your response!

I currently have my M2 and was wondering if I should even bother with doing my M2 Exit.

Last edited:
oh...when i did this, I had my M.

They may accept your M2, but they will get you to do the written test (good idea because Cali laws are different).

for a drivers license you can transfer it so i dont see why you cant transfer your motorcycle license.

i have a friend who had her G2 transferred it to Cali and got her full license, when she moved back she transferred it back to Ontario and got her full G.

for a drivers license you can transfer it so i dont see why you cant transfer your motorcycle license.

i have a friend who had her G2 transferred it to Cali and got her full license, when she moved back she transferred it back to Ontario and got her full G.

She still had to take the written test.

from the DMV site:

[h=2]Transferring an Out-of-State License[/h] Visit any DMV location, or save time by calling ahead for an appointment. You will be required to take a written exam, so studying California's Motorcycle Handbook is strongly encouraged.

The test is a joke, like all licence tests.

She still had to take the written test.

from the DMV site:

[h=2]Transferring an Out-of-State License[/h] Visit any DMV location, or save time by calling ahead for an appointment. You will be required to take a written exam, so studying California's Motorcycle Handbook is strongly encouraged.

The test is a joke, like all licence tests.
I cant speak for the written, but she got to skip her G road test lol.
This was also about 10 yrs ago.

I am in the process of relocating to California and was wondering if any one knows whether I am able to transfer my moto license from Ontario, Canada to California.
Can you confirm that you were able to transfer your M designation on your Ontario license to your California license with just a written test and paying the fee? I'm in the midst of a move as well and need to know for sure. Cheers.

My wife took an Ontario G2, moved to quebec where it got converted to a full license, then moved back to ontario with the full license. I think the conflict comes when license classes do not line up, so the receiving municipality picks one to put you in.

I've also heard of this happening between various provinces and states when their licensing systems don't line up.

I had to take a written and then they exchanged it. No road test. I had a full G and M at the time.

Bear in mind that was about 10 years ago.

I still keep a bike at our office in Burbank in-case I have to stay the weekend. You will find insurance is a lot cheaper. I have more than twice the coverage for about 1/3 of the price with Geico. Given how litigious they are I sometimes wonder if that is enough though :-(

What area are you moving to?

Back
Top Bottom