NC bound | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

NC bound

I've done the entire BRP/Skyline combo several times - at a medium, slightly brisk pace with stops every 90 mins or so, slightly above the speed limit and hitting up the major tourist spots, it's a comfortable and amazing 3 day trip.

I've done the BRP northbound from Cherokee NC all the way to Front Royal in 2 very long days. It was midweek so there was very little traffic and the pace was quite brisk. You really need 3 days to enjoy the parkway. Also, remember that next weekend is Memorial Day in the US and the BRP is full of campers, hikers, cyclists, and sightseers (park rangers too) . I would avoid it on their long weekend.

I'm staying home I'm pretty sure unless the weather gets much better then might sneak into PA on a late run ...yay Nexus

Besides the house is a disaster from moving things around .

Is the Devil's Staircase NC 80? If so, I rode it last year on the recommendation of a fellow rider I met from Asheville. Got off the BRP on NC 80 and rode down to Lake Tohoma, turned around and rode it back up. It's a bit scary going down as it's easy to overcook a corner and heading back up to the parkway is way more fun.

Yeap, it's NC 80. Didn't bother to go up as we didn't find the road conditions that optimal. Plus wanted to see other roads. Looking back it was a fun ride. Might have to take a trip back there this year.

Is the Devil's Staircase NC 80? If so, I rode it last year on the recommendation of a fellow rider I met from Asheville. Got off the BRP on NC 80 and rode down to Lake Tohoma, turned around and rode it back up. It's a bit scary going down as it's easy to overcook a corner and heading back up to the parkway is way more fun.

I agree with your comment regarding the BRP. It is so well engineered that you just leave your bike in third gear while following the roads flowing curves, never once having to touch your brakes. Gravel is never an issue and there never seem to be any unexpected surprises.

Then you've been lucky :D His whole harem was just on the other side of that wall

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-09-24%2520at%2520Sep%252C%252024%2520%2520%2520%25202013%2520%2520%2520%25202.26.32%2520AM.jpg

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-09-24%2520at%2520Sep%252C%252024%2520%2520%2520%25202013%2520%2520%2520%25202.38.01%2520AM.jpg

Then you've been lucky :D His whole harem was just on the other side of that wall

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-09-24%2520at%2520Sep%252C%252024%2520%2520%2520%25202013%2520%2520%2520%25202.26.32%2520AM.jpg

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-09-24%2520at%2520Sep%252C%252024%2520%2520%2520%25202013%2520%2520%2520%25202.38.01%2520AM.jpg

I stand corrected. However, that could happen on any country road. Yesterday while in N.C, I had four deer run out in front of me. Why do deer always cross the road in single file? This makes it impossible for motorists to know how many there are. I guess we should always assume that where there's one more will surely follow.

NC80 is usually called the devils whip but some call it the staircase too. They have a website dedicated to the road and Blind Kenny takes photos from one of the corners near the BRP if I remember right. It's a great run to pair up with the loop around Little Switzerland aka the diamondback.

For those of you looking for an entertaing route home from the Dragon,you should hook up with 311 north out of Roenick. It is many miles of twisties up and down mountain ridges.The best part is that it is lightly traveled.

For those of you looking for an entertaing route home from the Dragon,you should hook up with 311 north out of Roenick. It is many miles of twisties up and down mountain ridges.The best part is that it is lightly traveled.

Thanks I am planning a trip that way again this year - going to take more than 4 days this time :)

I'm leaving for the Smokey Mountains Friday morning with a buddy on our Multistradas. Staying in WV Friday night, Roanoke VA Saturday, then Asheville Sunday. We arrive in Robbinsville Monday and will be spending 3 nights at the Two Wheel Inn. Say hi if you see us.

963843_10151620074876928_365135671_o.jpg

We were on the BRP this weekend, and had breakfast with Gary64 and company. I think we got most of the drool off of your bikes...

a6yzege3.jpg

Its all a blur to me., but I was in Robbinsville around the middle of last week. I saw a grey Multistrada at the grocery store there with Ontario plates. I stayed at the Microtel. I saw more Michigan plates than Ontario.

I just had hell of a day. Left Mississauga at 6:00, 1263km and 14 hours later I'm in Pigeon Forge Tennessee. Took the Pittsburgh route as it's a lot more interesting than the 401 and Ohio.

I used 16.82 gallons which cost me $64.48, so I averaged 90kph and got 5l/100k. Not bad considering I was normally riding at 75mph with three cases on. Now I'm in a $33 a night quality in which includes free breakfast! Talk about a cheap trip.

Tomorrow I'm going to ride the blue ridge with a small detour on the devil's whip ending in Galax VA tomorrow night. The weather was perfect today and looks pretty good tomorrow too.

Oh... Saw a hell of a lot of dead deer through pn, and a hell of a lot of police on route 19 in west Virginia. One cop put his flashers on as I came over a hill, so I pulled over and he raced by me to so the car just in front. Very lucky.

I just had hell of a day. Left Mississauga at 6:00, 1263km and 14 hours later I'm in Pigeon Forge Tennessee. Took the Pittsburgh route as it's a lot more interesting than the 401 and Ohio.

wow - that's a marathon.

The Devil's Whip or Devil's Staircase is awesome. I didn't see a single other vehicle on my way down, and only a few on my way up. No bikes at all. I'll post video once I get home. In Galax VA for the night. More blue ridge and skyline fun tomorrow -- hoping I miss all rain.

That is a pretty good day, my longest was on my 1999 R1 from Raligh NC to Toronto (1468 KM) through the blue ridge.

On a Vstrom 1200km is a cake walk.

BB

I <} (how do you do a heart, FFS?) Robinsville! Here was my set up on an F4 for my first long-distance trip to the gap:
IMG_00000138 by emefef
...and of course, here's the song and video that came from it:
[video=youtube_share;qT1QmtsV-rM]http://youtu.be/qT1QmtsV-rM[/video]

I <} (how do you do a heart, FFS?) Robinsville! Here was my set up on an F4 for my first long-distance trip to the gap:
IMG_00000138 by emefef
...and of course, here's the song and video that came from it:
[video=youtube_share;qT1QmtsV-rM]http://youtu.be/qT1QmtsV-rM[/video]

That is an awesome video; loved it.

Haven't had time to get to the few pics that I took, but the trip was a smashing success. Spent the first couple of days in Linville Falls off the BRP, in which we rode the parkway north and south and explored local roads in the area. My riding partner is relatively new so it was a good chance for him to get used to the twisty stuff.
The second half of the trip was spent in Robbinsville at the TWI, where I connected with Gary64 and shot the crap. Nobody crashed, no breakdowns - got to ride into Virginia, Georgia (some great roads there) and of course TN.

My new R1200GSW was amazing - I was able to scrub the tires down to the edges and had to start hanging off a bit so I would grind too much of my footpegs away. Suspension on hard, engine mode on Dynamic and this thing gets up and goes in a hurry... for a big trailie (on Continental Trail Attack 2's) I'm really happy.

These tires, by the way, seem to be great. I was riding them hard - really hard, and I had confidence everywhere. Can't speak to wet traction, or to longevity yet, but for a 90/10 tire they were great. I think when they're done I'm still going to go to PR4's...

Back
Top Bottom