NC bound | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

NC bound

Great review Oomis.

After a very soggy riding weekend I broke off from the group in Maggie Valley and solo'd home while they went on to Nashville. 1000km in 10 hours up I75. 2600km total trip.

Haven't had time to get to the few pics that I took, but the trip was a smashing success. Spent the first couple of days in Linville Falls off the BRP, in which we rode the parkway north and south and explored local roads in the area. My riding partner is relatively new so it was a good chance for him to get used to the twisty stuff.
The second half of the trip was spent in Robbinsville at the TWI, where I connected with Gary64 and shot the crap. Nobody crashed, no breakdowns - got to ride into Virginia, Georgia (some great roads there) and of course TN.

My new R1200GSW was amazing - I was able to scrub the tires down to the edges and had to start hanging off a bit so I would grind too much of my footpegs away. Suspension on hard, engine mode on Dynamic and this thing gets up and goes in a hurry... for a big trailie (on Continental Trail Attack 2's) I'm really happy.

These tires, by the way, seem to be great. I was riding them hard - really hard, and I had confidence everywhere. Can't speak to wet traction, or to longevity yet, but for a 90/10 tire they were great. I think when they're done I'm still going to go to PR4's...

It was great meeting you. We're already making plans for the same time next year.

The PR4s I put on before the trip handled very well. I'll post some pics of how they scrubbed in after about 2000 KMs. I've had several sets of PR3s but I think the 4s inspire even more confidence in the corners because of a better contact patch. Glad to hear your still loving the GS, I guess you made the right choice. Good for you taking the time to bring a relatively new rider down there for an awesome experience. I'll be the's hooked now!

We are in Robbinsville today, took 2 and half days to get down as we rode lots of good roads along the way. Played on the Dragon today and then got caught in a rain shower all the way back on the skyway from Talico plains. Regardless the roads are incredible. 226A by Little Switzerland has been completely resurfaced and has almost as many curves as the Dragon without all the Harley Trikes. 321 from Boone to Spruce Pine is a great road, it runs parallel to the BRP but has a 55 mph speed limit and is climbs several mountains.

I'm so envious of you guys!

If you are in Boone NC try Troys NC105 diner. His pulled pork is awesome as is the vinegar sauce that accompanies it.

www.troy105diner.com

I'm so envious of you guys!

If you are in Boone NC try Troys NC105 diner. His pulled pork is awesome as is the vinegar sauce that accompanies it.

www.troy105diner.com

The vinegar based sauce, as opposed to tomato based, is fairly unique to Carolina. Probably why they have some of the best BBQ.

I put together a video highlighting our North Carolina trip. Although we did meet Wobblycat, Rotten Ronnie, and their group in Roanoke as well as Oomis and his buddy at the Two Wheel Inn Robbinsville they didn't make the cut. Actually I foolishly didn't document our encounters. Here it is, a couple of guys having a great time riding and goofing around for 9 days.

[video=youtube;fA-yZaq-ucM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA-yZaq-ucM[/video]

Thanks for the awesome video! Makes me want to go back even though I was just there a couple of weeks ago.

Great vid. What did you use to shoot?

The video was shot on a Drift HD Ghost and put together on a MacBook using iMovie. If I can do it anyone can.

Back
Top Bottom