Safety wire question | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Safety wire question

Just an FYI. Got a call back from a lady name Linda that works for SMP and they do NOT require lock wire. So you guys were right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freaky. I thought just my driven aluminum nuts with no locking mechanism were the problem.

Tony at Bluestreak came through with a set of really freaky Probolt Titanium nuts with locking whatever in them. Should I still use loctite when I install them? Blue or red?

2rdhws5.jpg

I got a call back from Driven Racing today (in reply to the email I sent them a few days ago) and they said: "The OEM washers should not have been used when the nuts were installed as the driven nuts need full thread contact with the stud and with OEM washers installed the studs threads don't reach all the way to the top of the nut." I asked them to e-mail me that info, at which point they hung up on me.

That being said, do I use the OEM washers with these probolt nuts??
Just a FYI those are lock nuts look at the tabs after the top of the threads those are the locks but they need to be on the studs to work. That is why they dont work with the washers under them.

Just a FYI those are lock nuts look at the tabs after the top of the threads those are the locks but they need to be on the studs to work. That is why they dont work with the washers under them.
No need for washers with those flanged nuts anyways

One thing about those types of locking thread nuts, they tend to wear out after a few times going on and off...Then they do not have as tight of a lock on them

Last edited:
Jamie, I honestly believe whoever installed your sprocket may have made a mistake. I've had my Driven sprocket nuts for 2 years now and not a single issue.

Jamie, I honestly believe whoever installed your sprocket may have made a mistake. I've had my Driven sprocket nuts for 2 years now and not a single issue.
Yeah, as far as Driven said, he shouldn't have used the OEM washers. I assume he wouldn't have over-torqued them by using OEM torque specs, and he did use blue loctite.

You can always lock wire your sprocket nuts. Many people do
I don't think it was possible to lock wire them the way they were installed originally, none of the stud was poking out?

why3if.jpg

Is this generally how it's safety wired?

11rx8c1.jpg

When I install my new nuts (without washers) there should be enuff space for drill and wire.

Just got my new nuts (thx for savin the day tony at bluestreak racing). They came with anti-seize instead of loctite! Lol. I assume i dun use the anti-seize and use blue loctite instead?

se3j2x.jpg

What's all this nuts talk? Is that weight savings really gonna matter for track days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are lock nuts and do not need loctite use the antiseize if you want to ever get them off again.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

What's all this nuts talk? Is that weight savings really gonna matter for track days?
I tend not to put anything heavier on my bike, especially after I've already spent money on something lighter :)

Those are lock nuts and do not need loctite use the antiseize if you want to ever get them off again.
Sweet, thx. I'll red loctite my studs into the hub then anti-seize the studs for these Ti nuts and torque em to OEM spec at 72ft lb

I tend not to put anything heavier on my bike, especially after I've already spent money on something lighter :)

Like 8 gopros and mounts, iphone laptimers, and knee pucks with metal in them?

Back
Top Bottom