Safety wire question | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Safety wire question

I think it depends on how your bike looks also, not that if you have a shiny bike it wont get looked at. Just some people bring really beat up dirty bikes, and I think that shows a lack of maintenance. Ive been to days where my bike gets a quick once over, but someone elses gets looked at for 15min....Its good though last year at Calabogie a tech noticed someones bike in front of me at tech inspection, his peg mount on a street bike was almost falling off, the bolt backed out and was just holding on the last few threads...Another time at TMP a guy in front of me, his tail section dropped down suddenly making the undertray touch the rear tire causing him to crash, I was like WTF was that....After the session I was told a bolt came out of his suspension linkage....LOL Locktite and safety wire are good

Was the bike at TMP a black/green/gold kinda ZX6R? I remember that but it was a bolt that snapped!

It says "should be drilled and lock wired". All other items say must or required. Interesting. Definitely they let non-wired bikes on track.

I'm trying to call them and they keep saying they'll call me back. I don't want to drive 3 hours or so and my friend can't ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it depends on how your bike looks also, not that if you have a shiny bike it wont get looked at. Just some people bring really beat up dirty bikes, and I think that shows a lack of maintenance. Ive been to days where my bike gets a quick once over, but someone elses gets looked at for 15min....

I agree. I did Tech for the VRRA for many years and its a quick and easy job to inspect a clean tidy bike. It also gives you a lot more confidence that the owner has taken the time to put it together properly.

On the other hand there is nothing like digging through layers of grime and grease that's been untouched for a long time to give you and uneasy feeling :)

Track days would be empty if it were required. Especially when a lot of racers will be in Grand Bend this weekend.

Johnny, I think you're right about how a bike looks. Mine looked like a race bike and did have some safety wire on it, but not all. The bike I have now has 98% safety wired, but GSXR Girl's doesn't. Just the oil filter. Her bike is in good condition and looks (it is) well maintained so I'm not worried. Stickers still on the tires too ;)

I'm trying to call them and they keep saying they'll call me back. I don't want to drive 3 hours or so and my friend can't ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is NOT required unless they changed it this year. I've brought a buddy with a street bike and the regular "tape up your ****" rules applied.

I think someone needs to safety wire my nuts :(

Edit: I think just the blue ones, the regular colour ones should be fine.

Last edited:
I think someone needs to safety wire my nuts :(

Edit: I think just the blue ones, the regular colour ones should be fine.

my sprocket had the thread back out just like yours last time I saw you at tmp.
even though I go over my bike all the time, somethings like that just happen sometimes.

Yes. Oem on renthal sprockets with marchesini rims
Freaky. I thought just my driven aluminum nuts with no locking mechanism were the problem.

Tony at Bluestreak came through with a set of really freaky Probolt Titanium nuts with locking whatever in them. Should I still use loctite when I install them? Blue or red?

2rdhws5.jpg

I got a call back from Driven Racing today (in reply to the email I sent them a few days ago) and they said: "The OEM washers should not have been used when the nuts were installed as the driven nuts need full thread contact with the stud and with OEM washers installed the studs threads don't reach all the way to the top of the nut." I asked them to e-mail me that info, at which point they hung up on me.

That being said, do I use the OEM washers with these probolt nuts??

Back
Top Bottom