Need some advice - looking at a ktm | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need some advice - looking at a ktm

rorider

Site Supporter
Hey guys, I'm looking to get a bike to use around town and in the weekend for some dual sporting. At first I thought the DRZ400SM would be the best choice, but I've also been reading about the ktm's, especially the 525, 530 EXC.
I found a really nice 2005 KTM 525 with almost no mileage on it and I'm thinking of getting that, mod it a bit, cush hub, additional oil storage, etc and use it as a supermoto, commuter, dual sporter. I live dt Toronto, btw.
What do you guys think?

Personally I'd be keeping my DRZ if I didn't do any single track. It makes an awesome, low maintenance dual sport.

The ktm is really engineered as a dirtbike with lights. Very fast, lots of power, lacking in road manners. More fun than a drz, but also more maintenance intensive. I also wouldn't carry a passenger on the ktm as the rear subframe wasn't designed for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iceman summed it up, I love my 530 in the dirt, I only ride street to and from the trails, you will struggle to find anything as capable. Cush hub and increased oil capacity is a necessity but I dont have either to be honest, maybe this winter.

Cheers

The ktm is really engineered as a dirtbike with lights. Very fast, lots of power, lacking in road manners. More fun than a drz, but also more maintenance intensive. I also wouldn't carry a passenger on the ktm as the rear subframe wasn't designed for it.

It depends wholly on your definition and intention of "dual-sporting". If this is likely to be some fire roads, etc... then the DRZ is your bike. If, however, you're looking to hoon it up and have a true dual-sport, supermoto, do all and do everything very well at the cost of maintenance time, the the Katoom is for you.

Iceman summed it up, I love my 530 in the dirt, I only ride street to and from the trails, you will struggle to find anything as capable. Cush hub and increased oil capacity is a necessity but I dont have either to be honest, maybe this winter.

Cheers

How much maintenance are we talking about, what about reliability? I've heard things...would appreciate some truth from an actual owner.

Same maintenance as any other bike, just shorter intervals. They just weren't made for prolonged street use. Reliability is good, if the maintenance is kept up. Depending on how much you ride, and how much is around town, you may be changing oil every week, checking valves 2/3 times a season (I would be). My best friend bought a 2010 red bull edition 530, he rode it hard, looked after it well and rode it on the street a lot. He tired that engine out in one season. Personally, a drz is the way to go for a commuter type bike, less maintenance, less chance for theft, strong resale. The ktm is a race bike in disguise. The drz is an everyday bike in disguise (as a dirtbike). If you can wrench, buy ktm, if a dealer solves all you issues, buy a drz. It'll cost a lot less in the long run...

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably go with the DRZ as I'm planning to use it for street a lot with the occasional dirt road outings. Hopefully soon after get a 400/450 KTM EXC just for trails and trailer it when heading out.

Same maintenance as any other bike, just shorter intervals. They just weren't made for prolonged street use. Reliability is good, if the maintenance is kept up. Depending on how much you ride, and how much is around town, you may be changing oil every week, checking valves 2/3 times a season (I would be). My best friend bought a 2010 red bull edition 530, he rode it hard, looked after it well and rode it on the street a lot. He tired that engine out in one season. Personally, a drz is the way to go for a commuter type bike, less maintenance, less chance for theft, strong resale. The ktm is a race bike in disguise. The drz is an everyday bike in disguise (as a dirtbike). If you can wrench, buy ktm, if a dealer solves all you issues, buy a drz. It'll cost a lot less in the long run...

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably go with the DRZ as I'm planning to use it for street a lot with the occasional dirt road outings. Hopefully soon after get a 400/450 KTM EXC just for trails and trailer it when heading out.

That's the ticket! If both is an option, why settle?

Why not consider a KTM 690 Enduro / SM? It has the oil capacity, cush drive, great mileage, totally flickable in city riding and can do 140kph on the highway all day long fully loaded with panniers, etc. A bit heavier than the other bikes mentioned but still light enough for even single track riding and you will fall in love with the engine. These have been around since 2008 and in 2011 (I think), they got a bump in capacity and power. I had one and once I sorted out an issue that caused me much trouble (OEM fuel pumps fail and I ended up replacing it with a $99 aftermarket unit that never failed), it was amazing.

Problem is there's virtually no used market with KTM 690 ... you barely see them ever on streets ... if money is no obstacle that is the bike I'd go for. I used to own DRZ as probably most people here. It's a great low maintenance and inexpensive bike. Not much power or character though ....

I was looking at the 690 and they're awesome bikes, but they're very expensive, even used somewhere around 8-9k and i've read about a lot of issues with stalling, leaking, super hot pipe, etc on advrider.

Theyre not that much...

I just went through the 690 process and found a few great bikes to choose from at $7k±.

I bought a 2010 Duke because Im looking for a street bike only, but I found 690 Enduro Rs with offroad and supermoto wheel sets in that range too, and there is also an SMR out in Hamilton that I bet you could get for under $7k.

And there are two Dukes (08 and 09) within reasonable range that you can get for about $7k too.

It appears that there are more 690s around than buyers of 690s!

Theyre not that much...

I just went through the 690 process and found a few great bikes to choose from at $7k±.

I bought a 2010 Duke because Im looking for a street bike only, but I found 690 Enduro Rs with offroad and supermoto wheel sets in that range too, and there is also an SMR out in Hamilton that I bet you could get for under $7k.

And there are two Dukes (08 and 09) within reasonable range that you can get for about $7k too.

It appears that there are more 690s around than buyers of 690s!

Maybe, but still too many mechanical issues to deal with. I'd like to do more riding and less fixing, even if I have to compromise on performance.

Maybe, but still too many mechanical issues to deal with. I'd like to do more riding and less fixing, even if I have to compromise on performance.

There is a reason the drz has been around so long. You have the perfect plan now, get both when you can. You'd be surprised at the difference when you add a pipe, jet kit, and 3x3 airbox mod, really wakes up the drz.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-m...o-r/591874337?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

btw not my bike for sale ...but you would get both sm/dirt

$_20.JPG

Nail. Head lol

Don't believe everything you read on an enthusiast forum. As much as I like ADV rider some (most?) of the most prolific posters spend a lot of time and money repairing imaginary "problems" or "defects".
The 690 is reliable, as is their other bikes. Just not as care free as less sophisticated bikes like an XR or DR.

I'm on my 3rd KTM and plan to get a 690 in the near future. I have never been let down by the bikes or a dealership.

Back
Top Bottom