Darksider - conviction registered | GTAMotorcycle.com

Darksider - conviction registered

Bike Cop

I know this topic is covered under the forum elsewhere but I didn't see anything about the end result from court. I charged a rider for converting his rear tire to a car tire, among many other things.

The bike was a Kawasaki Vulcan 900. There were a number of HTA infractions but the biggest one was that rear tire. Recently the court case concluded with a conviction for an improper tire under s. 70

For all the square headed riders out there.

Oh the humanity! Thank you so much for charging this awful criminal and making the world a safer place.

You have too much time on your hands.

I know this topic is covered under the forum elsewhere but I didn't see anything about the end result from court. I charged a rider for converting his rear tire to a car tire, among many other things.

The bike was a Kawasaki Vulcan 900. There were a number of HTA infractions but the biggest one was that rear tire. Recently the court case concluded with a conviction for an improper tire under s. 70

Why would you do that?
While technically "improper", the practice is not really unsafe. If that was the biggest HTA infraction, I don't want to know the rest...

Bike cop should attend Port Dover on June 13th. Would generate enough revenue to pay off the Provincial deficit. Oh the humanity!

Good Catch ?

wow, thanks ?

glad you are out there giving important tickets like that.

meanwhile, 50% of the cars that passed you while you were busy with that evil MC rider were on their cellphones, or changing lanes without signalling, or weaving, or have half their bumper or body moulding hanging off. improper lights on half-assed trailers, unsafe pickup truck loads, or any other one of the 1000 charges that are out on the roads every day

Police officers should be able to pass a common-sense test. Sadly, most wouldnt.

These posts should be encouraged so that riders better understand what's illegal and better protect themselves.

about as dumb as when

driver got pulled over for speeding, driver asks cop how did you determine I was speeding and by how much, cop answers, I don't really know how fast you were going, but I know you were speeding because I had to catch up to you....REALLY............

that one is going to court.......gonna be fought tooth and nail......blemish a drivers record for being a dumb *****

Wow. Way to go there "CHiPs" ..

Forget all the drivers speeding, or doing other stupid **** and you get this guy for improper tire! lmao ..

hey man ! he deserves a medal for keep everyone else safe !

So true. That guy could of lost control of his bike, crashed into a schoolyard of kids, puppy dogs and kittens and the tire would of fallen off and hit a gas truck causing a major explosion.
It in turn than blows up an orphanage, and the debris lands in a mall hurting thousands. ** sigh ** ... think of the children you saved man!!

I know how my bike handles when the rear tire is due for replacement (worn flat in the middle from Ontario roads). Installing a car tire can't help but be about 10 times worse than that.

Fact: Car tires aren't designed for use on motorcycles. Period. Therefore the charge is justified, and given the facts of the matter, I'm not surprised at all that the charge stuck. If you only go straight then maybe the engineering differences might not demonstrate themselves, but I can certainly see the potential for unsafe handling characteristics (in fact, I can't see how it would NOT have unsafe handling characteristics if you go in anything other than a straight line).

That this charge was one of several suggests that the bike's rider might have had an attitude problem ... or the bike was otherwise such a pile of crap that it attracted the wrong kind of attention.

Subscribed!

Bet it had ape bars and loud pipes..

Bet it had a convicted felon who was on the violent sex offenders list. That same bike was probably used to run over a child at the crosswalk

Recently the court case concluded with a conviction for an improper tire under s. 70

What is the legal wording of the law. Obviously the lettering on the tire would be part of the logic but is it because the tire didn't say you could or specifically said you couldn't use it for the purpose at hand?

Similarly, can you use a trailer tire on a car or vice versa?

Bike Cop:

Be aware that not all 'dark-siders' are evil. I will qualify this by saying that going 'dark-side' for the right reason, and the safe way, should not be an issue - legally, or liability-wise, period, full-stop. That said, i do agree that automotive tires, with the soft sidewall, mounted upon an unmodified motorcycle rim and being used as a solo motorcycle, is a huge-gamble in the legal and liability department that is indeed potentially worthy of a ticket or three. Doing this to a single track motorcycle in the interests of tire life is a false economy. Doing it with a multi-track vehicle, like a sidecar or forecar/trike configuration - entirely safe and suitable!

There are the ones that have properly done it... and the ones that have done it properly, have done so at generally great expense, for equal reasons of safety and tire longevity.

There is a fundamental difference in motorcycle rim sizes, and car tire sizes .. as such, most are generally incompatible. The tire size that is most likely to work, and least likely to blow out either while installing, or on the road, is the 17" and 18" tire sizes. Even given that, those that i know that have used the 17" stock motorcycle rim and a Smart-Car spec 175 or 185/55/R17 tire, have also taken the added steps to machine the proper automotive bead seat into the motorcycle rim.

MC Rims:
15": 15.080"; 16": 15.978"; 17: 17.080"; 18: 18.080"

Passenger Car Rims:
15" 14.968"; 16": 15.968"; 17: 17.188; 18: 18.188"

Lower than 17 inch the car rim sizes are 0.032" smaller than the nominal size,

Thus, a 15" rim has a rim size of 14.968"

and a 16" rim has a rim size of 15.968"

But bigger than 17" the rim sizes are 0.188" bigger than nominal size

a 17" rim size has a rim size of 17.188"

and a 18" rim size has a rim size of 18.188"

Now, i researched this about 10 years ago, as part of my own decision-making process into the 'dark-sider' controversy, and how it applied to my own project at the time, this comes from a text file i saved from back then. In the end, although it was considered acceptable to mount a 17" car tire onto a machined 17" motorcycle rim in the sidecar community, i took the added steps to do it right from a safety perspective.

My sidecar rig is the result of a 3 year fabrication exercise. It is a heavyweight at 1200lbs, with car rubber on all three rims. Not much beyond the frame, gas-tank, and motor is stock.

Sidecar wheel - Asuna alloy 14" with 185/55R14, mounted on suspension of own design and fabrication. $80.00 junk yard.

Rear wheel - Honda Civic alloy 15" with 185/55R15 mounted on custom machined hub. $1000 for hub, $200.00 to import a pair of US spec Honda rims.

Front wheel - 3 piece composite custom imported from the sidecar capital of the world - Holland. $1800. Mounted on custom LL front end of own design and fabrication.

The project was on the road from 2004-2010 before i was side-lined due to health issues. 55k km's on the project, with no issues related to automotive tires being used out of spec.

My point of the above, beyond being likely one massively annoying brag to others, is that you cannot judge the use of automotive tires in a motorcycle application the same way, across the board. Circumstances and application should and must be assessed.

It's been my unfortunate experience to be inherently distrustful of what the law decrees, especially in setting legal precident or even 'cracking down' - a blanket tends to be thrown over all, using the phrase "summary-offense"... in the hands of an ignorant, non-riding cop not familiar with the safe application of car tires on a vehicle other than a car, assigning of a notice of an offense for using car tires on another (non-automotive) vehicle with similar road-handling characteristics, would be a mis-application of the intent and spirit of that law - to keep them off of solo, single-track motorcycles where they definitely (IMHO) DON'T belong.

I just don't trust your average traffic cop to make an accurate assessment of all that, road-side. Not when it comes to my disposable income and the potential of traffic fines taking it away, all due to ignorance by a cop throwing the ticket and mumbling "explain it to the judge".

Last edited:
Here is HTA s 70

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h08_e.htm#BK125

On its own, this doesn't say much, it just generically refers to regulations, standards, and specifications.

Here is the tire regulation

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_900625_e.htm

Having a car tire on the rear of a motorcycle (with the front tire being a normal motorcycle front tire) would likely violate 4(1), but it's written in a pretty vague manner.

On researching, the situation seems far from clear-cut and I'd like to see on what grounds the conviction was made.

Back
Top Bottom