Parking at Walmart? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Parking at Walmart?

JamesH

So i Live in Aurora Ontario and I work at Walmart.
We have by law officers come by all the time and ticket people for leaving their cars unattended infront of the store.
I have been told by other bikers I can park my motorcycle anywhere a bicycle can park. is this true? can i park next to the bike rack in front of the building? I don't want to wait until i see the by law officer again to ask him cause i just got the bike and am taking it to work tomorrow morning. Does any 1 know what the rule is for parking next to a bicycle rack?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if motorcycles are parking where bicycles park and not getting tickets, it's only because the bylaw officers are letting them get away with it. You're allowed to park anywhere a car can legally park.

Where do the other people who drive cars to work park? Do they get tickets?

It would be nice if you could park with the bicycles - nice to know it's a bit out of the way. When my mom was at Sunnybrook I found a bike rack that I would park by and stay for hours. Never paid, never got a ticket. But I'm pretty sure it was more luck and timing than anything else.

A motorcycle has to follow the same regulations and bylaws as any other motor vehicle. If you park anywhere other then a marked parking space you may get a ticket.

Weather or not you would actually receive a ticket for parking by the bike rack would be up to the officer.

After having watched a few of the "people of Walmart" youtube videos..lol I always park up near the bicycle racks when I go to any of the Walmarts, (Thornhill, Port Perry, Aurora, or Keswick). I have yet to receive a ticket for doing so. I am not working there so likely not parked more than 15 minutes or so at a time. plus I make sure I park the bike so that it is not interfering in ANY fashion with those using the sidewalk, (normally by the bike racks the sidewalks are 15 - 20' wide).

Thanks for all the replys. i am just about to head out to work so i think ill stay in the parking lot for now. However i have worked here for 5 months and only ever seen 2 different by law officers though so ill make sure i ask them when i see them. thanks for all the support.

I would ask other employees who ride to work but there's only 1 other guy and he has a scooter and parks far back in the parking lot.

If you're parking on private property (such as Walmart or a shopping mall) then the owner must first call the bylaw officer to come and ticket you. In Toronto I went to the Walmart Customer Service desk and said "Which do you prefer: My friend with a motorbike and I can each take a whole parking space meant for cars, or we can park nicely beside the bicycles so two other customers can park their cars and shop. Totally will oblige whichever thing you want, ma'am."

Beside the bikes is where we park now.

Jame H when you find out what the bylaw officers say , let us know. I have always parked up by the bicycles but I don't want to get a ticket.

So because we ride we should get special privileges? Two yellow lines. Park between them like everyone else. If you're worried about it park as far from the front doors as possible. The only time I'll park differently is at places like royal distributing in Whitby where bikes are up on the sidewalk/curb all the time. Otherwise it's a lot like everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom