Unsure if the road is paved or unpaved? I may be able to help | GTAMotorcycle.com

Unsure if the road is paved or unpaved? I may be able to help

matthew

Site Supporter
Hello Everyone,

I'm a GIS technician by trade, so that means I work with data to analyze, find patterns and display information in graphical form.

I'll spare the rest of the boring details, but I have software at home (ArcGIS 10.1) and data (supplied by NRCAN) which contains the entire road network for Ontario (other provinces available as well)

I'm able to perform queries on roads and look up their attribute information to see if they are categorized as paved or unpaved.

Unfortunately, the data isn't always accurate, as roads that I know are paved, are listed as unpaved.

If anyone is interested in finding out if particular road is paved, please post up here, along with a google map link so that I can easily find it, and I'll let you know what the software tells me.

How recent is the data? And how's the money in GIS? Former boss tried to steer me that way once

Money is good. I'm in the public sector.

I have the most up to date release of the data, which is Feb, 2013. The data is older than that though. For example, Duffy's Lane in the Town of Caledon, is listed as unpaved, but I know it's paved. The data was created in 2007 and revised in 2012, so everything needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

I'm just listing whatever the data has, unless Google Streetview or first hand knowledge or Ortho imagery say otherwise.

The data comes from here:

http://geobase.ca/geobase/en/data/n...nid=A9411D00297951478C2A1B269E7300A0.geobase1

I usually use Google street view - and then take a look around at the intersections etc. If your data is from 2007 /2012 it could be unreliable. But thanks for offering it up.

I wonder if a collection of pothole patches is considered paving. All roads are crap now.

Can you find frequency of curvature? :D

Back
Top Bottom