Temp plates on another person's vehicle (got POA) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Temp plates on another person's vehicle (got POA)

FiReSTaRT

Site Supporter
Here's what I'm trying to pull off.. Had lack of success selling a vehicle for a buddy who moved out of the country. I have the power of attorney for it. My buddy will have another friend take possession of it and try to sell it, but the friend lives in another town. The sticker expired, my buddy doesn't have insurance on it. I wanna take the vehicle to his friend's place.

Can I get temp plates for the vehicle even though it's not in my name and put it on my insurance policy? Thanks for any info you can give me, ladies and gents.

Probably cheaper and easier and safer to have it towed there.

Probably cheaper and easier and safer to have it towed there.

I figured, but I wanted to see if it's possible to have it plated and take it over there.. It's in good working condition.

Rent a car dolly from uhaul, cheaper than a tow truck. Don't believe you can plate a vehicle in someone else's name for any reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't insure a car that is not in your name.

I had to drive my girlfriend's car for a while and the insurance made me transfer it to my name to insure it (and pay the taxes at the ministry based on their book). When I was done with it I transferred it back to her name... And guess what, I had to pay the taxes again.

Sent from Tapatalk.

Thanks guys. I contacted my buddy. We'll see which option he'll choose.

You can't insure a car that is not in your name.

I had to drive my girlfriend's car for a while and the insurance made me transfer it to my name to insure it (and pay the taxes at the ministry based on their book). When I was done with it I transferred it back to her name... And guess what, I had to pay the taxes again.

Sent from Tapatalk.

In 2008 I bought a new to me bike out of the USA. I called my insurance agent and told them I needed insurance for a bike I was buying, gave them the make, model and SN. They sent me the pink slip. They didn't ask any questions. I didn't lie but I didn't elaborate.

I brought the bike back while it was still in the sellers name, saving the Michigan sales tax, and registered it here. The bike came back in a trailer FWIW.

One could do the same to move a vehicle but do you want to pay for a rather stiff insurance charge for the one day?

Last edited:
Thanks. The problem is that I still couldn't get a temp plate if the insurance isn't in the owner's name. Will just have to tow it

Am I the only guy here that would just drive it over?

so, my question is,,, when you lease a vehicle,, who's name is the vehicle portion of the ownership in... and who's name is the plate portion in.... the way I understand it.. the vehicle ownership remains with the owner,, but the driver has to put his own plates on,, so the ownership shows the plate portion with the drivers name.. and of course , the driver needs insurance..
any way,, I would stick on a plate from a car I have, with valid sticker, and insurance,, and drive it... ;-) I just bought this officer.. I am going to be transfering the ownership in the next day sir... here is the pink slip for the plates,, here is the ownership for the plates... my insurance agent "would like" me to call him when ever I do this..but sometimes he isn't in the office the day/night/weekend I want to move a vehicle,, so he assured me that I have insurance under this situation

To everyone saying you can't insure a vehicle you don't own, how come I've been able to get insurance on every vehicle I've purchased the day before I purchased it? I just call, give them the VIN, they email me a slip...

One of them I even ended up not buying (seller tried to get more money out of me after we had already agreed on a price) and I just cancelled the policy the next day.

Then again, having the slip and actually making a claim might be different. I don't think you can get temp plates for it, though, without it being in your name.

To everyone saying you can't insure a vehicle you don't own, how come I've been able to get insurance on every vehicle I've purchased the day before I purchased it? I just call, give them the VIN, they email me a slip...

One of them I even ended up not buying (seller tried to get more money out of me after we had already agreed on a price) and I just cancelled the policy the next day.

Then again, having the slip and actually making a claim might be different. I don't think you can get temp plates for it, though, without it being in your name.

It would better be said as, "You can't have valid insurance on a vehicle in which you have no pecuniary interest", but that uses a word not many people know. The other way is easier to understand.

If you could have valid insurance on something you have no real interest in then I'd be getting life insurance policies on a whole lot of people.

It would better be said as, "You can't have valid insurance on a vehicle in which you have no pecuniary interest", but that uses a word not many people know. The other way is easier to understand.

If you could have valid insurance on something you have no real interest in then I'd be getting life insurance policies on a whole lot of people.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Leasing is very different than this situation. The leasing company continues to own the vehicle, (that way they can repo it if you don't pay up)..lol Then your plates are placed on the vehicle and it is registered in that fashion. this is done by way of a formal agreement in writing, (the lease). In this case the OP is simply trying to get temp plates, (trip permit) for the vehicle. The MTO won't allow this.

One situation, (leasing), has a valid contract in place. The OP has nothing for this vehicle.

so, my question is,,, when you lease a vehicle,, who's name is the vehicle portion of the ownership in... and who's name is the plate portion in.... the way I understand it.. the vehicle ownership remains with the owner,, but the driver has to put his own plates on,, so the ownership shows the plate portion with the drivers name.. and of course , the driver needs insurance..
any way,, I would stick on a plate from a car I have, with valid sticker, and insurance,, and drive it... ;-) I just bought this officer.. I am going to be transfering the ownership in the next day sir... here is the pink slip for the plates,, here is the ownership for the plates... my insurance agent "would like" me to call him when ever I do this..but sometimes he isn't in the office the day/night/weekend I want to move a vehicle,, so he assured me that I have insurance under this situation

Leasing is very different than this situation. The leasing company continues to own the vehicle, (that way they can repo it if you don't pay up)..lol Then your plates are placed on the vehicle and it is registered in that fashion. this is done by way of a formal agreement in writing, (the lease). In this case the OP is simply trying to get temp plates, (trip permit) for the vehicle. The MTO won't allow this.

One situation, (leasing), has a valid contract in place. The OP has nothing for this vehicle.

I actually tried to ask about semi-permanently lending a vehicle to someone (without it being on my insurance record) and the MTO and insurance both said it couldn't be done. How is that any different from a lease for $0? I guess because I wasn't going to charge for it?

Back
Top Bottom