Trip from Toronto to Newfoundland | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trip from Toronto to Newfoundland

Ya I have gps but need to figure out mounting and plug in.

Once I get there I have no worries, eveng the trip itself I'm not concerned as I make it yearly.

Comfort and packing on the other hand. But I think I have figured the packing part out.

With 2 backrests I can fit a decent sized backpack on the passenger seat that can be easily strapped down and accessed.

I have tried on a few bell helmets. They were nice and comfortable but it still comes down to the visor. I dont understand why but they make the ground look wavy. I don't wear prescription glasses so it cant be that.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Ya I have gps but need to figure out mounting and plug in.

Once I get there I have no worries, eveng the trip itself I'm not concerned as I make it yearly.

Comfort and packing on the other hand. But I think I have figured the packing part out.

With 2 backrests I can fit a decent sized backpack on the passenger seat that can be easily strapped down and accessed.

I have tried on a few bell helmets. They were nice and comfortable but it still comes down to the visor. I dont understand why but they make the ground look wavy. I don't wear prescription glasses so it cant be that.

For gps wiring, I have a main distribution block that is fused. Powers gps, heated vest & accessory lighting. Most people just plug their gps to the battery, but make sure you put a fuse.

For the Bell, are you trying on their expensive models? Might be a manufacturer defect. Or maybe try another brand if you don't worry about tinted visor

For gps wiring, I have a main distribution block that is fused. Powers gps, heated vest & accessory lighting. Most people just plug their gps to the battery, but make sure you put a fuse.

For the Bell, are you trying on their expensive models? Might be a manufacturer defect. Or maybe try another brand if you don't worry about tinted visor

I'm liking that dist block idea. And heated gear lol. Is your block single fused or individuals fuses for different devices.

I wasnt even paying attention to price truthfully. I tried on a few different brands but will try again.

I'm liking that dist block idea. And heated gear lol. Is your block single fused or individuals fuses for different devices.

I wasnt even paying attention to price truthfully. I tried on a few different brands but will try again.

I did single fuse.

My first long trip was to Bay of Fundy 2up with my wife. I ended up with a broken arm, stored the bike, rented a car and eventually flew back home. One of the most memorable trips I've ever had. Although more on the side of type 2 fun. Prior to that, we had taken our bike on a test run to Sauble Beach from Brantford. That's it. I wouldn't let your lack of experience get in the way of an amazing adventure. Experience will only come from doing it. It won't be your last trip (hopefully) and you'll be that much more experience and better prepared for your next one.

Not sure how long you're planning on for this trip. That's typically the leading factor though as Macdoc eluded to. Three days to get out there is not an issue imo for a solo rider, but I agree with Lightcycle that for most riders, daily mileage typically goes decreases from day one. You get more sore and stiff and your butt will definitely feel it after a few days. I also find riding on the superslab much more tiresome than twisty back roads. The key is to figure out your tolerances and preferences prior to leaving (if you can), test runs around home are an excellent idea for this. You can put down bigger miles riding the highway but it's much, much more enjoyable on the back roads with smaller daily mileages.

Some like to pre-book everything and have a destination set at the end of the day. Some like to go till they stop and then look for a hotel or motel, and yet another option is stopping somewhere for lunch and looking for somewhere to stay, as you will have more of an idea of how much further you may want to travel that day. Wifi everywhere if you're not online via smartphone. We've done all of the above and I suppose if I had a preference it would be knowing having a destination in mind, but it really doesn't matter much to us. If you do plan ahead, plan your mileage to decrease from the first day, until you get to a # that you are comfortable with everyday after that. Something you'll only know from experience. Forcing mileage because you have a hotel booked at the end of the day is not a good idea. You're exhausted, cranky, fatigued, maybe hungry. You might even have to ride at night where animals become more of a problem...it's easier to make a mistake, so I think it's potentially more dangerous. A benefit of going solo is you can call the shots. If you want to ride longer, you can. If you are tired and done for the day, no big deal.

Definitely consider wearing earplugs. I find they don't completely mute everything but make the ride much more enjoyable by cutting a huge amount of the wind noise. I can easily make out engine noise, horns, and even people talking as long as they speak up a bit.

We stayed at the Quality Inn in Riviere-du-Loup once, it was pretty nice.

Above all, keep it flexible. We never got to our destination on our very first trip. No big deal. We still had a great time and saw a new part of the country. We didn't let the destination become the only goal, we ended up having an awesome adventure as a result.

My 2c, take the bike and have a blast!

Thanks.

The length of the trip is not and will never be fully determined. Lol.

Last year was 9 weeks, year before was 6 weeks, 3 days back in to, then flew back out for 2 weeks.

Ultimately id like to NOT stay in Quebec although I know that wont happen.

I was debating about tenting it on route. I guess that depends on my ability to pack.

I usually am a go big or go home person and id like to keep the trip as low cost as possible. Frankly I even have the ability to trailer the bike from stevenville to st john's (6hrs in a car) in the back of an enclosed trailer. 6 days a week for free.

I usually leave on a weekday about 3am. Daylight by the time its deer country.

I'm still unsure wether the trip will actually happen but with all of your suggestions I feel like the possibility is getting bigger.

Thanks again.

Thanks.

Ultimately id like to NOT stay in Quebec although I know that wont happen.

Avoiding Quebec is easy. Go via Lake Placid, take the Port Kent to Burlington ferry, stick to route 2. Mount Washington, Bangor, if you want you can even head further south and take a couple more ferries at Lubec. With the exception of Mt Washington, we've done this route before and love it. Campgrounds and hotels aplenty this route. Just a thought...

Passport would be an issue on that one. But I'm thinking a good change in route isnt a bad idea. I may have to get one. Lol.

To get around Montreal use the new portion of highway 30. Best $1.50 you will spend. Quality road and saves times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're getting a lot of great advice from some really experienced people in here - I'll second what most have said and here is my 0.02 worth, having done some touring on a cruiser in days gone by (03 Volusia and 03 Nomad) and doing my fair share of touring since.

I would consider a windscreen a necessity. Don't underestimate how fatiguing the wind is. Along the same lines, I would also seriously consider wearing a full face. If it starts raining, even if it's not enough to put a rainsuit on, at 110 kph rain stings in the face.

Wear earplugs, even if you wear a full-face. Hearing damage is for realz.

Do a test run, as has been suggested, so you can get a feel for what 8 hours in the saddle feels like. Don't assume that because you've done 4 hours that you can extrapolate to 8 hours. Do yourself the favour and feel what it's like for yourself.

Don't worry about gas. You'll be fine. Fill up at a half tank if you're the conservative type.

Do not ride at dawn or dusk - animals are all over the place.

Consider going through the States - Montreal traffic is agony, the US is so much nicer, gas is cheaper and ditto with motels, and it takes about the same time.

Don't worry about planning your stops. Motels are easy to find.

My personal preference is to wake up earlier, get some miles underneath me and then stop for breakfast a bit later. By timing your stops to avoid mealtime rushes (ie breakfast at 10, lunch at 1, dinner when you stop) you can be more efficient with your time. The less time spending waiting for food or your bill, the better.

The very first time you think that you need to stop, pull over. I like to power nap for about 20 minutes around 2 pm - it recharges me. Getting drowsy on the bike is no joke, especially when it's really hot. If you find yourself wondering "should I pull over" - PULL OVER.

Keep hydrated. It helps with alertness.

Put everything you plan to take with you on your bed. Then take half of it. That's what you need. Avoid cotton - it ends up stinking. Performance gear or polyester is your friend. Go to SAIL or MEC and have a look at their travel gear. Any shirt that you can wear twice is worth its' weight in gold. Don't pack jeans - they're bulky and take forever to dry. I like those zip-off travel pants taht convert into shorts - it means I don't have to pack shorts. And remember, if you forget something, there's a Wal Mart (evil) around every corner. If you're going for 2 weeks, consider doing laundry at the halfway point. I've even mailed dirty laundry home when I had to. All I'm saying is don't spend too much time on the clothes you're bringing - if anything, you should obsess about the gear you're wearing on the bike.

Bring a swimsuit, just in case.

I won't tell you what to wear on the bike, but make sure you're comfortable, and can layer up and layer down to accommadate variation in temperatures. Out east you can't predict what weather you'll get, and you'll likely get 3 different kinds before lunch.

Take lots and lots of pictures. If you think you should stop to take a picture of the thing you just rode by, turn around. Trust me, you'll regret not stopping more than you'll regret the time it took.

Talk to people. Locals know everything. Avoid chain restaurants. Try the cheeseburger soup, regret it immediately, take a picture of it and tell the story of how awful it was later. Never drink and ride. Not even one. Not ever.

Know how to fix a flat. Bring a little portable air compressor you can attach to your battery and know how to use a rope and resin plug kit. Know how to get at your battery,

Stuff will go sideways. It always does. But keep perspective - that's where the stories come from. That's the adventure. That's what makes traveling by motorcycle different, and that's what makes us different.

The weather channel is your friend.

Wave at kids stuck in minivans. Laugh when their hot mom frowns. Laugh more when their henpecked father hunches his shoulders over the steering wheel and wishes he was you. Reverse the genders if appropriate. But always wave at kids.

excellent post...

Passport would be an issue on that one. But I'm thinking a good change in route isnt a bad idea. I may have to get one. Lol.
and it's a realllllllly good idea.
Even better get a Nexus card and whiz through the border.

••••

Performance gear or polyester is your friend. Go to SAIL or MEC and have a look at their travel gear. Any shirt that you can wear twice is worth its' weight in gold. Don't pack jeans - they're bulky and take forever to dry. I like those zip-off travel pants taht convert into shorts - it means I don't have to pack shorts.

Old navy has polyester shirts that are every bit as good as the $50+ Nike and cost like $15 - I wear them under a poly riding shirt - they are real quick to wash and then I can use the riding shirt the next day.

clear.gif

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produ...id=1&locale=en_US&kwid=1&sem=false&sdReferer=

for riding I buy poly fishing shirts with big pockets - camera's phone glasses - lots of space - long tuck in - I'll spend on these as they last forever

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Bone...7&sr=1-14&keywords=long+sleeve+fishing+shirts

I also wear the Columbia convertible pants for riding...I put a pair of $30 moto-cross knee guards underneath.

these are good
http://www.amazon.com/5-11-74273-Ta...1399304407&sr=1-42&keywords=convertible+pants

I need a new pair as I finally wore out the zipper. tho I suppose I could get it replaced

a soft belt is easier when riding as well over leather with a metal buckle
http://www.amazon.com/5-11-59551-12...d_sim_a_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0MT3TV6TJ0GJCFGW231Z

Last edited:
excellent post...
and it's a realllllllly good idea.
Even better get a Nexus card and whiz through the border.

agreed, great post, oomis!

how does one go about getting a nexus card? Cost?

My version of paradise is a plastic lawn chair in the parking lot of a cheap motel, bike parked right outside my room, a gas station cigar in one hand, a can of beer in the other and swapping stories /lies with the riders parked next door.

All you need to know

http://www.canada-immigration-info.ca/nexus.htm?gclid=CIyvoIeSlb4CFchFMgodnAkAWA

Coming into Toronto from Hong Kong full loaded wide body...plus other flights midday yesterday
I was through Nexus immigration, customs the whole nine yards in about 5 minutes. Separate lines.

Hit the border on the bike in Niagara - straight through - Nexus only bridge.

Flying to the US - or even in transit you avoid the whole crap the US puts you through.

FIgure on a 1/2 day to get it done ( I went to Fort Erie ).
You pre-book the appointment AFTER they accept your application.

Wow. This exploded. Lol.

GREAT posts everyone.

Definitely have to check out more gear and which type of clothes to bring. Im pretty sure I dont own any polyester but new clothes wouldn't hurt me. Lol.

Ive also been talking to a few friends of mine who are basically professional travelers. They've basically said the same things as here. Minus the motorcycle specific parts.

As soon as I have a few min I'll be making a checklist of things mentioned here and start looking into a passport. I like the suggestions of talking to others.

I think i have been to focused on making it home (nfld) not allowing me time to stop and smell the roses per say.

I have no intention on booking the boat until I'm in NS that way I can get a room with a shower. This will also allow me not to rush. Hell if it takes me a week to get there so be it.

Thanks again everyone. You guys have placed alot of time and effort into answering my questions.

Make a reservation for the ferry and plan on it being changed on you. Have done the trip a few times, and its 50-50 that you get bumped (they always call a day or two before hand while you're on your way there...:(.

Make a reservation for the ferry and plan on it being changed on you. Have done the trip a few times, and its 50-50 that you get bumped (they always call a day or two before hand while you're on your way there...:(.

Hmmm. Ive never had a problem catching the ferry and ive never booked.

Last year was a close call on both directions. Arrived 5 min before departure and got on without reservations.

Thanks again everyone. You guys have placed alot of time and effort into answering my questions.

You're welcome. Travelers stick together, and we all remember our first big trip.

Back
Top Bottom