Trip from Toronto to Newfoundland | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trip from Toronto to Newfoundland

peterm15

I'll start with I'm not prepared for this kind of a trek BUT I may want to make it this summer

I have a 99 vstar in great running condition. I'm also mechanicly inclined so I'm not worried about the bike in particular.

My question recolves around planning and packing.

It would be a solo ride, and I want it that way.

Seeing as most of the route is 100-110 km/hr and long straight stretches is there a modification I should do to the bike to make it "easier" on those long stretches?

How should I go about packing for this kind of trip. Not my personal stuff but rather on the bike itself. I figure a pack on the passenger seat along with my saddle bags should suffice but would a gas can be suggested? Maybe a rack of sorts on the rear fender to hold a gas can.

Id love to see pics of how others have packed to narrow it down.

As for the planning. I'm not much of a planner. Ive woken up one morning and just decided to just pack a bag and drive straight to nl with no cares. Now thats in a car I can sleep in, with another driver so it's a different story.

Id like to plan around daylight hours as hitting a moose doest fare well with me on a bike. I assume 2 hotels on the way to the boat in north syndey NS is best, sleep on the boat, and 2 hrs to my first family stop where I can rest.

How much time should I allot per 100km including fill ups and stops? Any extra gear I may need other then a rain suite? Ect ect.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks
Pete

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I'd be more worried about time than packing.

It's very tough to work out a decent time package that doesn't take at least 3 weeks tho I see you want a blitz to get down there to Sydney.

You need to time Montreal traffic or go through the US.

Rain suit, CAA plus card couple changes of clothes is all you need. Most over pack. I like technical gear ( polyester ) as they wash easily and dry quickly. Stay off cottons.

Cruise control on the bike is $20 and works fine. Huge benefits.

Good earphones and music a real plus and makes the time go.
Good earplugs as well as wind noise is really tiring.

Some sunblock. Carry water and drink it to stay hydrated. I like an offline map for the smart phone tho sounds like you are just doing slab ...hard to get lost.....

Ive made the trip to Sydney in 22 hrs. I figured 72 would be enough.

The good part is if I take more I take more. I'm really in no big rush. But honestly I thought 3 days was more then enough considering the longest its ever taken me is 30 hrs.

I never really thought of CAA. That honestky worries me as im for sure not ready for the trip if I didnt think of that.

Although I will be bringing a hard map as well as phone I dont really need it. I make the trip yearly. Just usually not on a bike.

What sort of bike are you on?

As Mac said, cruise control of some sort will help, so will knowing that you can stand your seat for a long time. Spare gas will likely help too depending on the range of your bike.

I'm planning on doing a Newfie run this summer too, but I'll be doing it on the Labrador highway. I'll meet ya in Newfoundland if you are there mid-August.

When I went I obviously over packed. I brought clothes that I did not need. I don't have a pic with me now but can post if you you pm me. I'm on my tablet. You'll be good for gas as long as you don't go off roading

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Plan for flats. My bike is spoked wheels with tubes. If it is using a tubeless then the sidewalls are even stiffer and quite difficult to do a roadside tube replacement.

Cast wheels with fully tubeless tires are much easier to deal with.

Im on a 99 vstar.

I have no clue about cruise on a bike so I'll have to look into it.

I know the bike can make it to stations but figured an extra tank is always a good plan. Id actually be more concerned about running out in NL as stations are quite the distance apart and you usually have to exit the highway. I can squeeze about 350 out of a tank.

RockerGuy ive sent you a pm. Thanks

Ahhh. Flats. I have spoked rims with tubes so I'll have to attempt a few "roadside changes" to see what id have to bring.

Thanks everyone.

Seeing as most of the route is 100-110 km/hr and long straight stretches is there a modification I should do to the bike to make it "easier" on those long stretches?

Typical mods to most motorcycles for long distance are seat, shield and ergos (repositioning pegs and bars). I'm not a V-Star expert, so I'll leave the mods up to someone who has the same bike (or you can ask on a V-Star forum). I've had good success with an AirHawk cushion, which will strap on top of any motorcycle seat. Some people mentioned cruise control, I installed a Kaoko throttle lock on my bike, never really use it. I find a throttle rocker is the best, really helps to relieve the strain on your hands and wrists.

How should I go about packing for this kind of trip. Not my personal stuff but rather on the bike itself. I figure a pack on the passenger seat along with my saddle bags should suffice but would a gas can be suggested? Maybe a rack of sorts on the rear fender to hold a gas can.

Depends on your route. You say your bike can go 350kms a tank? That's more than enough on the ride to Newfoundland if you stick to the main highways. There's basically a gas station every 75 kms on the TransCanada. Fill up when you're half tank and you won't need an extra jerry can.

Have a great trip!

Typical mods to most motorcycles for long distance are seat, shield and ergos (repositioning pegs and bars). I'm not a V-Star expert, so I'll leave the mods up to someone who has the same bike (or you can ask on a V-Star forum). I've had good success with an AirHawk cushion, which will strap on top of any motorcycle seat. Some people mentioned cruise control, I installed a Kaoko throttle lock on my bike, never really use it. I find a throttle rocker is the best, really helps to relieve the strain on your hands and wrists.

Depends on your route. You say your bike can go 350kms a tank? That's more than enough on the ride to Newfoundland if you stick to the main highways. There's basically a gas station every 75 kms on the TransCanada. Fill up when you're half tank and you won't need an extra jerry can.

Have a great trip!

Wow. Thanks for all the links and advice.

Thats why I no where near ready actually. Its my first season and with crappy whether I've only done 4hr trips not exceeding 80. So say 300km in a single run. I could have easily done more but weather and time play a factor. I am also dodging any wet weather for the moment until Im more aware of the bike itself. I treat riding as a privilege that I don't want to loose for speed or accidents.

Ive done 18hrs on dirt but I was younger then.

I know its only a possibility for this summer but if I don't feel confident enough it will be a car trip instead.

The season is young and I don't think it will take that long for me to build the confidence to take the treck. I will be starting slow with a couple 8hr trips before this adventure.

The 4hr trips have been fine. Slight back pressure but nothing outrageous. I had my throttle hand freeze up once when it was 0 and I was riding.

For longer trips I feel I would need pegs below my body instead of stretched out with the forward controls. Just for a position change. As well as floor boards and maybe hwy pegs. Really Just anything to keep blood flowing to keep me from fading into lines.

Last edited:
I understand this all may sound ambitious as a new rider but I have no interest in other destinations, and no passport. Lol.

Again I do plan on some other overnight trips before I attempt this. (Tobermory or something)

Last edited:
If you want to do N. Sydney in 3 riding days, I'd definitely try a couple of trial LD runs before attempting that kind of mileage if your longest riding day has only been 300 kms.

I'd suggest going to Montreal for some smoked meat, stay overnight and then ride back the next day. That's about 550kms one way from Toronto, so you're close to the 650km days you'd have to pull to get to the ferry. Also, the slab run will approximate the kind of riding you're going to do on the way to NS.

When stringing together long mileage days, try to get the most distance out of the first day. You'll find your endurance will drop the second and third day. I'd aim to get as close to Quebec City for the first night if you can.

Also, try to route around Montreal traffic by taking the 640 north of the island. The island traffic is as bad if not as worse as Toronto traffic.

Depending on the time of year - if you can leave very early then you can getgood mileage without being on the bike all the time - in May june and early july 12 hour + riding periods are fine.

Heading east into the sun is brutal tho.
You do have the wind with you but bear in mind against you coming home and into the sunset....horrid riding on the 401 into the sun in either direction ....bear the wind in mind coming back from NL

I'd tend to recommend Ottawa for a mix of slab and two lane which you would have going east. 401 and then up 28 and you could overnight at the Kayak Camp to the north for cheap ( they supply sleeping bag and a big tent that is permanent with cots for cheap ) ( email Daught for the camp name ).
This works fine ...

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/v...ric-cruisers-with-1-inch-bars/part/VC-07-4041

I like it even better than my Karoka and it's cheaper - you just have to trim the throttle rubber a bit ( maybe ) but it's usually a 10 minute job and I like the thumb on thumb off.

I prefer the Beadrider to the Airhawk for distance comfort....cheaper and in my mind better. Does not feel like it should work...it does.
http://www.beadrider.com

Antennuating Earphones ( -26- or -28 dB ) or earplugs ( -31 ) are a must - if you are not riding with them now you are certainly damaging your hearing and it is very fatiguing riding without one or the other.
I use a very thin Balaclava from Oxford - makes it easy on and off and a little bit of wind/dust protection - it's really thin,
http://gpbikes.com/oxford-balaclava-ultra-thin.html

This is a stupid photo as it looks bulky - it's not and keeps the helmet fresher as well.

A nice loop is up to Ottawa then across into Quebec a bit then down on a really nice riding road to the 401 and home. There are lots here can give you loops.

( what Lightcycle said on Montreal traffic when you do the actual ride to NL - if you leave very early - even 4 am out of the GTA you can get through Montreal without too much traffic )

Your mileage will go down at slab speed big time so bear that in mind but heading east with the wind and traffic you can get hilarious distance.

Last edited:
Here is the pic (pics) I promised you.

The gixxer is mine's. I did overpacked. I have no idea how my buddy packed underwear or other clothes. Needless to say I never asked.

DSCF2590.jpg

DSCF2575.jpg

DSCF2569.jpg

DSCF2360.jpg

Don't forget to touch the Atlantic
DSCF2277.jpg

Most importantly, don't forget to have fun
DSCF2498.jpg

DSCF2592.jpg

JumpingRocks.gif

There, hope that was enough pics. I still have more, lol

Thanks everyone. In a bit of a rush at the moment but will review what everyone has said later tonight.

Thanks for all the suggestions and pics.

Definitely have to look into all this more. The routes are a great idea to get around Montreal. Personally never had a good experience there.

I was thinking of lookin into a spot for a sleep in riviere du loup as ive always loved that part of the drive. It may be slightly ambitious as a first day sleep though. Maybe the way back.

IF I go departure would most likely be last week of July. Prior to that the weather can be extremely cold in my home town in NL.
Im going to start wearing earplugs. I have a box of 3M 1110's 29dB and have tried them but felt to disconnect. Maybe time for another shot. As well as helmets. Gotta find a full helmet that works for me. I currently ride with a half helmet as all the fulls I try on screw with my vision. Makes the ground look wavey.

I was also looking into a front fairing and windshield combo. Figured that would help with wind. As well as a bladder to hydrate myself without having to unnecessarily stop. Back rests ect.

Before I jump to any conclusion on wether I'm going on the bike, I have to get more seat time for sure. Looking at some 600km circles to get me there. That way I can decide wether I can physically handle this kind of a ride in 3 days or 4.

I'm sure I'll think of more questions.

Thanks again.

You 'll be fine I think you're over analyzing it. Just get they necessities done. Since you're from there you should be pretty familiar with things. Do you have a gps? That's an indispensable tool. It would give you info on gas, food & lodging.

Get prepared to get wet, most likely you'll be caught in the rain

Oh yeh if you're getting a full face, I recommend a premium brand. Relieves strain on the neck because of lightweight.

I'd recommend the Bell helmets, there is a transition visor option where you don't have to bother with tinted visor or sunglasses

Back
Top Bottom