Story time - | GTAMotorcycle.com

Story time -

I highly approve of this thread and project!

yabadabadoo....good on Adrian - now I'll never get an appointment.
Cool project.
Nice ride.

Honda is getting back to that kind of basic naked with the CB500x. Just a bit more sophisticated.

Very cool machine. Somewhat unappreciated back in the day compared to the zoomy bikes. I think it would be a hoot with updated suspension.

Yes do it! I have not seen a proper cx500 cafe'd yet! Theres a few history regarding these bikes and why Honda went with a shaft vs chain.

Awesome...very nice...sad thing is...I'm actually old enough to remember when these things were new :rolleyes:

Nice. But wtf are you watching on tv?

Awesome rebuild! :headbang:
That's more the shaft drive. It's an effect called Shaft Jacking.

Think about it, if it's being rev'ed in neutral, the drive shaft isn't rotating.
It's the perpendicular orientation of the flywheel (relative to the longitudinal axis of the bike) that has the rotational inertia to cause the sideways movement.

Last edited:
I'm not an engine expert, but why would shaft-jacking occur in shaft-drive motorcycles and not on chain-driven ones? Even in neutral...?

I've owned many

How can the shaft drive be responsible (when rev'ed in neutral) if the shaft drive is not moving? It's the flywheel, which is moving, and it's the orientation of the flywheel and motor in this bike and bikes like it (BMW, Moto Guzzi) that causes the sideways movement when rev'ed in neutral.

Last edited:
Yep, figured it out seconds before you posted.

Is this you doing the epic motorcycle travelling? If so, kudos to you!

i think that the "shaft jacking" you referred to is what happens to the back end of a shaft drive bike when it accelerates: the rear suspension decompresses, jacking up the rear. That is caused by the shaft drive. A chain drive bike's back end squats down (rear suspension compresses) upon acceleration. It's not about the sideways movement that the OP mentions.

Last edited:
Nice. But wtf are you watching on tv?

Now that you mention it.. I have no idea. Whatever it was got the bird to fall asleep, so I'm grateful for the quiet time!

How can the shaft drive be responsible (when rev'ed in neutral) if the shaft drive is not moving? It's the flywheel, which is moving, and it's the orientation of the flywheel and motor in this bike and bikes like it (BMW, Moto Guzzi) that causes the sideways movement when rev'ed in neutral.

All the more reason I leave things to Adrian. He may as well have sold me a fuel injector.

rri734x.jpg

Epic Travels! I follow your ride-along blog very closely!

Back
Top Bottom