How do I bring a motorcycle home | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How do I bring a motorcycle home

I have had them check the vin, not unusual if the brand, colour etc don't match registation. Good luck with insurance if the plates/vehicle aren't proper.
Yes, a truck/trailer is easiest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truck, trailer or the legit temp plate as mentioned above. It is illegal to use plates not issued to the vehicle and insurance will have to match the pink slip or it's invalid. That's a $5000.00 no insurance fine plus false plate charge. If you have a collision add the damage and liability costs, maybe not be able to get insurance for a while. Plus you will be stranded somewhere with an unplated bike.

What sized bike?

If you don't have a hitch U-Haul also rents pickup trucks.

What are the charges/fines for improper plates/sticker?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Possible problem with insurance if you don't have the bike that they are insuring properly plated. I wouldn't risk it. MTO charges peanuts for a 10d temporary plate/sticker.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've already purchased and installed a hitch on my car and have a reservation with Uhaul to rent a motorcycle trailer, cant go wrong with $15/day + $9 for insurance. Much cheaper than paying for gas for the 4 hour ride and dealing with insurance/temp sticker and such.

Oh yeah, if you have a car, a hitch is the way to go. Best investment I've put into my car has been the hitch; a motorcycle trailer is around $20/day to rent.

Just so you know, this will void the warranty on a good number of new cars.

Even those that are rated for towing, here, are usually rated to almost half what they are over seas.

Good news is that insurance told me that if something were to happen because I was towing something heavier than the manufacturer's rating (even if that rating is none), I would still be covered. But not any damage to my own vehicle.

Even those that are rated for towing, here, are usually rated to almost half what they are over seas.

Good news is that insurance told me that if something were to happen because I was towing something heavier than the manufacturer's rating (even if that rating is none), I would still be covered. But not any damage to my own vehicle.

In Europe a lot of them are manual transmissions though. A locked up clutch generates a lot less heat than a stressed out torque converter. That said, a DSG or similar should be just as good for towing as a manual.

That, and people learn how to tow, and to be in a lower gear under certain conditions etc.

There are generally different auto vs manual ratings. Obviously I'm talking manual and manual or auto and auto. In my model year the car wasn't even made in automatic. Europe and Australia have a 2000 lb tow rating while Subaru told me if I put a hitch on the car and never even tow anything my power train warranty is out the window.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom