How do I bring a motorcycle home | GTAMotorcycle.com

How do I bring a motorcycle home

There is a bike I am looking to purchase a few hours away. How do I go about riding it back?
I currently have valid plates for the same make and model bike (different colour and year). And I have insurance for the same.
If I get stopped will there be a problem? How do I go about doing this legally?

Last edited:
Call your insurance explain, they can cover you temporarily

Sent from my my mobile using a strange app for damaged people

I would be concerned with the condition of the bike,just buy and ride may be a little unsafe,better off renting a trailer or something like that.

I would be concerned with the condition of the bike,just buy and ride may be a little unsafe,better off renting a trailer or something like that.

If it breaks down, a tow will cost you more. You can rent U Hauls on hourly time frames so rent for 3 hours, go pick it up drive it home then return the trailer.

Call your insurance explain, they can cover you temporarily

Sent from my my mobile using a strange app for damaged people

Call insurance, and if the plan is to replace your current bike, swap the insurance. Plates can be on a different vehicle legally, as long as insurance is valid.

Maybe a buddy with a mini-van ?
I've hauled 2 ZX6's in my Montana (not at the same time of course)...gotta get her in from the side door and watch the windscreen, but it fits.

Last edited:
Call insurance, and if the plan is to replace your current bike, swap the insurance. Plates can be on a different vehicle legally, as long as insurance is valid.

Plates can be on a different vehicle without having it switched at mto? And in this case a usa motor vehicle?

Plates cannot be on a different vehicle, you must change them over and get a temp sticker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never had a cop ever inspect my VIN when pulled over or anybody else for that matter. One of many issues is that if there is any accident in that time frame you could be in some serious hot water if they do check. I would drive with the wrong plates/sticker and not care too much. It is the insurance that I NEVER drive/ride without murphys law.

Just pony up the $40 for a trailer and tow it, probably simplest possible solution.

Plates can be on a different vehicle without having it switched at mto? And in this case a usa motor vehicle?

Plates cannot be on a different vehicle, you must change them over and get a temp sticker.

If the vehicle is not in your name, yes, they can, temporarily (while you get the papers in order). Don't have time to dig up my source, but dealerships have confirmed this as well.

What are the charges/fines for improper plates/sticker?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

They aren't that high $ wise, but they can/will tow it.

I've never had a cop ever inspect my VIN when pulled over or anybody else for that matter. One of many issues is that if there is any accident in that time frame you could be in some serious hot water if they do check. I would drive with the wrong plates/sticker and not care too much. It is the insurance that I NEVER drive/ride without murphys law.

Just pony up the $40 for a trailer and tow it, probably simplest possible solution.

I have had them check the vin, not unusual if the brand, colour etc don't match registation. Good luck with insurance if the plates/vehicle aren't proper.
Yes, a truck/trailer is easiest.

If the vehicle is not in your name, yes, they can, temporarily (while you get the papers in order). Don't have time to dig up my source, but dealerships have confirmed this as well.

Nope. FYI, dealerships don't make the rules. The only way to do this is to go to the mto, change the ownership, pay the taxes, and get a temp sticker. You cannot just stick your plates on a different vehicle and drive it. Call your insurance/mto and check it out.

Call your insurance company or broker and provide them with the VIN. They will provide a liability slip that you can bring down to Service Ontario with the vehicle ownership. You provide Service Ontario with the ownership, liability slip, and receipt of purchase. They can issue a temp permit to bring the bike home or where ever you intended to get the safety. They will only issue a temp permit if the previous title showed as fit. I've heard of some offices that didn't seem to care and just as long as you paid for the temporary permit.

You don't want to mess up with fines and higher insurance because of taking short cuts. Ignorance isn't an excuse. The police will not be understanding. It's Murphy's Law.

Good luck!

If it breaks down, a tow will cost you more. You can rent U Hauls on hourly time frames so rent for 3 hours, go pick it up drive it home then return the trailer.
What about the hitch?

Back
Top Bottom