Gas leaking out of carburetors | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gas leaking out of carburetors

Pin hole in the float is the first thing that comes to mind.

shake the float and see/hear if anythings in it, you said old bike, time for a carb cleaning. check your float/needle/seat. give it a good cleaning and re-adjust the level, should be good to go. give the intake seals a good look over while your there, change them if there old, not expensive

So I finally took an afternoon to look over the middle carburetor. Last time it was the float height, and this time it turned out to be dirt in the needle and seat. I think it's time to invest in some fuel filters!

Two of the carburetors were loose on the engine intake last time, so I had put some black silicone around the seals, which seemed to fill the space enough that I could tighten the carburetors down. Problem is I went for a ride on the allen and the bike started backfiring like crazy. I stopped to check and my middle cylinder wasn't firing any more. Took out the spark plug and there was black silicone bits lodged in the plug :eek:. I'm assuming this isn't a good thing. I put a new plug in, and rode it only enough to go home. Should I be taking the engine apart before riding this again? Seemed to be fine once I put the new plug in.

More likely a piece of dirt between the needle (operated by the float) and its seat, or maybe the needle/seat are worn. If there has ever been dirt in the fuel and it got as far as the fuel lines, this could keep happening until you get all the fuel hoses and passages cleaned out.

So I finally took an afternoon to look over the middle carburetor. Last time it was the float height, and this time it turned out to be dirt in the needle and seat. I think it's time to invest in some fuel filters!

Two of the carburetors were loose on the engine intake last time, so I had put some black silicone around the seals, which seemed to fill the space enough that I could tighten the carburetors down. Problem is I went for a ride on the allen and the bike started backfiring like crazy. I stopped to check and my middle cylinder wasn't firing any more. Took out the spark plug and there was black silicone bits lodged in the plug :eek:. I'm assuming this isn't a good thing. I put a new plug in, and rode it only enough to go home. Should I be taking the engine apart before riding this again? Seemed to be fine once I put the new plug in.

Whenever you use anything to fit 2 peices together, make sure its dry first... You go for a ride the same day you put silicon on your intake boots? That **** takes like 2 days to fully cure. You probably dont have to take the engine apart since the silicon should burn up by itself, but man, be a bit more careful or you are going to ruin your bike.

Whenever you use anything to fit 2 peices together, make sure its dry first... You go for a ride the same day you put silicon on your intake boots? That **** takes like 2 days to fully cure. You probably dont have to take the engine apart since the silicon should burn up by itself, but man, be a bit more careful or you are going to ruin your bike.

Yeah, lesson learned. I didn't go for a ride with it, but I had started it up to make sure it was working properly (mistake).

Back
Top Bottom