Today, I rode a Harley | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Today, I rode a Harley

Sure the Victory Hammer or an equivalent metric bike could be more reliable and state of the art, and I don't have enough riding experience yet to comment on those factors. But Harley sells the cool factor, lifestyle and experience that would compliment my current Ducati riding experience.

Thanks for admitting that, and it is not coincidence that Ducati is taking a page from Harley in the accessories department.

I still cannot understand why riding a poorly designed motorcycle is cool. But, that's exactly why I don't work in an industry where 1 of every 2 bikes sold is a Harley.

Proof that marketing works.

Thanks for admitting that, and it is not coincidence that Ducati is taking a page from Harley in the accessories department.

I still cannot understand why riding a poorly designed motorcycle is cool. But, that's exactly why I don't work in an industry where 1 of every 2 bikes sold is a Harley.

LOL, wut? You needed proof of that?

Harley does an excellent job of selling the "lifestyle". Not much different than Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger did way back when:
Ralph-Lauren-Quotes-3.jpg

LOL, wut? You needed proof of that?

Harley does an excellent job of selling the "lifestyle". Not much different than Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger did way back when:
Ralph-Lauren-Quotes-3.jpg

So he's responsible for that ream about the sadistic clown and riding naked covered in Vaseline? (was that a dream?)

There's marketing and then there's Jonestown. I think we're talking Jonestown here. Grab yourself a tall cold one:cool:

From what I understand an Outer Mongolian tractor mechanic from 1932 can repair a harley, as they use pretty much the same technology. (that's a good thing actually)

Sure, the engines are easily repairable as their technology is so far outdated, but the whole package suffers from the same dated design. Lousy brakes, lousy suspension, etc etc. (that's a the bad thing).

Yup. Designed so you can take them apart and put them together with a simple set of wrenches and a screwdriver at the roadside. Brakes and suspension are only lousy if you're planning to race with it, which you should not do. Some guys just can't understand that a smooth suspension beats an arse-busting "sporty" feel-every-crack-on-the-road suspension and double front discs only make the forks bottom out on a highway cruiser. A "dated" design in my book is one you throw away when it breaks down because it's so complicated and expensive to fix that you don't bother. "Keep it simple" is timeless advice for any engineer.

I think it has to do a bit with your age,as much as I hate to admit that. Buy a bike for it's intended use. I get on my wife's heritage softail and I ride like a different person. I jump on mine again and can turn into a hooligan without realizing it. My wife belongs to a HOG chapter and I go along even though I don't ride H-D. She certainly doesn't ride a harley for the lifestyle choice,she's probably the last one to sip the H-D koolaid. She rides her motorcycle because she loves the ride and ease of operation and she doesn't like racing around like an obnoxious sqiud. And that's not a knock on squids either,if that's how you roll that's your business,but to show that as you age you're looking for something different in a ride.

Designed so you can take them apart and put them together with a simple set of wrenches and a screwdriver at the roadside.

I call BS. Harley doesn't want you to work on your own bike, they want you to bring it in and pay their shop to do it. I tried changing the front brake pads on my friend's Sportster but couldn't get the pads off because the caliper mounting bolt heads are 12-point 6mm size. Who the hell has that tool in their socket set and where would you even find one to buy? All other calipers I've worked on use standard allen or hex heads.

I think it has to do a bit with your age,as much as I hate to admit that. Buy a bike for it's intended use. I get on my wife's heritage softail and I ride like a different person. I jump on mine again and can turn into a hooligan without realizing it. My wife belongs to a HOG chapter and I go along even though I don't ride H-D. She certainly doesn't ride a harley for the lifestyle choice,she's probably the last one to sip the H-D koolaid. She rides her motorcycle because she loves the ride and ease of operation and she doesn't like racing around like an obnoxious sqiud. And that's not a knock on squids either,if that's how you roll that's your business,but to show that as you age you're looking for something different in a ride.

There are many, many other bikes that are lighter and easier to ride than any Harley. Japan does make cruisers, standards and touring bikes, all sizes.

I call BS. Harley doesn't want you to work on your own bike, they want you to bring it in and pay their shop to do it. I tried changing the front brake pads on my friend's Sportster but couldn't get the pads off because the caliper mounting bolt heads are 12-point 6mm size. Who the hell has that tool in their socket set and where would you even find one to buy? All other calipers I've worked on use standard allen or hex heads.
I bought some kind of mini ratchet set for work and got the deluxe kit which advertised how it came with all the "Harley specific" heads.

Hey caferay. You are correct sir but don't forget just how well tuned the MOCO sales staff is. Can you imagine if the japs or germans got into your head like H-D does.They use the lifestyle angle but they are there to sell motorcycles.

They are 12pt because HD doesn't want you removing them. The proper procedure is to remove the small caliper pin cover and unscrew the caliper pin until you can lift both pads out. It's a 5 minute job...

A 12-point is probably a "triple-square" (XZN). Anyone who has done anything on a VW or Mercedes will have a set of XZN sockets, a set of Torx sockets, and (for Mercedes) a set of E sockets (essentially the reverse of a Torx), because you will need all of them!

They are 12pt because HD doesn't want you removing them. The proper procedure is to remove the small caliper pin cover and unscrew the caliper pin until you can lift both pads out. It's a 5 minute job...

Bahahahahahahahah:D:D:D

Those are a torx head on my bike. Anyone who owns a post 70s Harley knows to keep 3 torx heads with them. A standard 12 point box wrench will take off the line bolts. As above, a 5 minute job.

what-year-is-it-robin-williams.jpg

Harley myths are quite amazing.

LMAO! You're funny Ray, but when I started riding the Jap bikes (Honda CB series) were also easy to repair. Just 2 years later bikes like Suzuki Katana, FJ1100 and Ninja came out, uber fast yet the expensive electronics and complex valve systems made them very pricey and troublesome to service. Most guys sent them to the scrapyard after a few years.

LMAO! You're funny Ray, but when I started riding the Jap bikes (Honda CB series) were also easy to repair. Just 2 years later bikes like Suzuki Katana, FJ1100 and Ninja came out, uber fast yet the expensive electronics and complex valve systems made them very pricey and troublesome to service. Most guys sent them to the scrapyard after a few years.

You are either horribly misinformed, lying, or just talking out of you arse. There are many of those bikes STILL on the road. I can do the valves on them. What you just said is completely misinformed. NOBODY sent these bikes to a scrapyard after a few years. Give your head a shake.

That is an embarrassing statement for you to make.

I don't know what year/model Sportster you have but the one I was working on had this style caliper. All bolts are 12pt with the small middle ones, the pin bolts, set in a recess so they can only be turned with a socket and not a wrench. Five minute job it you happen to have the special tool which I don't and I doubt the average Harley owner has it.

$_57.JPG

As I remember, Harley once placed a magazine ad that informed owners to only use their brand of oil and that using other brands would void the warranty or even damage the motor. Once again I call BS.

Last edited:
I like the look of some Harleys, and I like the unique sound, but I have never ridden one so I can't comment on the handling.

My brother has one, I think it is a 88 ci, about 9 or 10 years old. He seems to like it, and all he had before were Kawasakis. I know he spends far more time cleaning his bike than I do... but I have zero chrome and like it that way.

At this stage I wouldn't buy one simply because I am too cheap -- I get better mileage, better performance, more capability and taller suspension out of my wee-strom -- at less than 1/2 (possibly as low as 1/3rd) the cost new, much cheaper insurance, etc... In terms of reliability, I haven't heard of many bikes that can compete with wee-strom reliability, although I am sure there are a tonne of harley riders with lots of trouble free miles on their bikes too. My brother is skeptical when I tell him that V-Tom has over 200k on a V-strom, as he thinks a higher revving engine must wear out that much faster.

Maybe when I wear out my wee strom I would consider a harley for my pavement adventures, but it is doubtful considering how much more I'd have to spend for the name, look, and sound -- none of which really matter when it comes to actually riding.

As I remember, Harley once placed a magazine ad that informed owners to only use their brand of oil and that using other brands would void the warranty or even damage the motor. Once again I call BS.

I remember reading a long biker rag article by Donny Peterson about the HD/engine oil shenanigans. For a HD guru he doesn't mind ripping into them on the as needed basis. What a scam that was.

Back
Top Bottom