Today, I rode a Harley | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Today, I rode a Harley

I know someone on the forums who has been riding for 40 years. He has a TU250X and a XT200. He said that the TU250X is the most fun bike he's ever had since he changed the sprockets. He currently has a deposit on a SR400, isn't for sure if he will get it or not. He says he will do a test ride first.

There is a point. His bike prior to the TU was a Harley 1200 Sportster. He said that it was one of the worst bikes he's ever had, a slow heavy pig that vibrated and didn't do anything well. He sold it at a loss and was glad to see it go after garaging it for 9 months in favour of the TU.

For me there are 2 things that come into play besides the "experience".

One is the ergonomics, which would apply to any bike. There are 3 types of common seating positions and the legs forward and weight on lumbar spine that cruisers have may not be comfortable for everyone.

Another is the "image". That if you have a Harley you are a violent filthy drug addicted criminal who last did laundry 2 years ago and last had a shower in 2013.

Then there are the straight pipes save lives wishful thinkers. My neighbour across the street is one. He is a nice guy but he is one of those love Harley and love SOA types. His bike is loud. He is usually really great about not roaring it in the residential neighbourhood especially with his 85 or 90 year old neighbours next door but this past week he forgot or something and the windows in my house vibrated and the dog barked who never barks because his life needed saving.

I read notorious Sonny Barger's book "Let's Ride" and he had lots of unkind things to say about HD. He rides Victory at the time of writing and had been for awhile. He loved his Victory. Kept saying how much better it was and how happy he was that finally he had an American alternative that was not Harley. See, the HAs were not the official club of HD, they were ride American of a specific displacement and up as far as I know and for decades that was only HD until now with Polaris.

Polaris is that major manufacturer of snowmobiles and stuff and while HD commands brand recognition like "Rolex" and "Marlboro" Polaris has a big thing going with their Victory and Indian lines. HD expanding into the Indian market and stuff isn't just good business it's also their awareness that the American market is no longer an exclusive.

Last edited:
And there's nothing wrong with that other than maybe trying to question why HD is the world's best selling motorcycle: 250,000 buyers of new HD motorcycles per year.....

Honda sold over 15 million bikes last year, from a Harley oriented site.....

http://www.sturgismotorcyclerally.c...the-worlds-best-selling-motorcycle-company-is

As far as the attitude of the owners/dealers...it can't be any worse than the Hans & Frans crowd....

....all that being said, I do like the xr1200r....Or a scrambler, in orange.....So many bikes....so little time.....

Throwing this in here as food for thought. This was a real thing that happened:

harley-davidson-sx-175-1065594_2-1.jpg

Throwing this in here as food for thought. This was a real thing that happened:

harley-davidson-sx-175-1065594_2-1.jpg

So was this.....
harleygolfcart1.jpg

And this...
amf-harley-davidson-250-05.jpg

maybe it's best we not speak of the AMF years....

Last edited:
Riding like the letter C is essential for the Cruiser experience!

The NightRod also comes with mid-mount foot controls.

There is a goggled pirate I sometimes see entering and exiting the highway ramp. He has highway bars on his engine guards so he is reclining almost horizontal with his ape hangers up and his legs are wide and up in the air. It is the correct off-ramp to take to get to the hospital here. Hurry!! The baby is coming!!!

I'd give up an SS for this Harley

harley_davidson__night_rod_special_he_2012_280_nlc_airride_sw_x_de_2011_4_lgw.jpg

080706_top.jpg

It just looks so damn cool.

I actually liked the Street Rod, but for some reason that variant died pretty quickly

Dude give it up, none of that marketing BS is any different from marketing BS about any other product out there. I can pull a brochure on any well-known brand of whatever and it will basically state the same thing: Stand apart, be noticed, get laid.

Shamelessly hot-linking:

hd1.jpg

hd2.jpg

hd3.jpg

hd4.jpg

Lmao! Give me a demo on a clean back road, not more "opportunities to be seen" on my demo bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riding around hunched over with my feet jammed way up high and backwards just doesn't appeal.

Lmao, just my kind of man :)

... I was so out of place as I wasn't wearing all clothing that said Harley on it.

That's funny. I have some Harley friends. I constantly tease them about their brand name Harley under ware and socks. No guy needs orange under ware. Lol

And there's nothing wrong with that other than maybe trying to question why HD is the world's best selling motorcycle: 250,000 buyers of new HD motorcycles per year, and one can only guess at how many are sold in the used market, simply can't all be stupid people. They "get" what you don't.

Considering there are only two types of bikes, HD and everything else, it would stand to reason they're going to sell a few. Especially when the marketing machine and peer pressure runs at fever pitch.
Generally speaking, most riders at a bike gatherings have some passable knowledge about every bike in the parking lot where HD riders don't know and don't care. Generally speaking. And it's not all about the vaunted single crank pin motor either because my HD powered sport bike will only draw blank glassy eyed gazes. I suspect the fork angle is all wrong.

Last edited:
Because I get it I also wanted a Harley. But couldn't justify the cost. So I examined all the positive attributes of the classic HD (underpowered, overweight, bad suspension, questionable brakes, slouchy ergos, chrome trinkets) and shopped around for something compatible at lower cost. Luckily there are some options available for those of us who get it but are greenback challenged. Like everything in life compromises are inevitable but I got almost everything on the dream list by going Triumph retro. While my bike is outrageously overweight for what it is it's still about 200lbs shy of my dream HD. Looking to address that with chromed lead outriggers disguised as styling treatments to give the classic grinding sounds if I ever hit a twisty. Also looking to address the ergos. At present I'm sitting almost upright. That's not good. The quick fix appears to be ape hangars and forward controls. Lots of work tho, wish I could just afford a HD and not have to work on my own bike. Does anybody know a good chrome consultant?

Lol, troll

that's why a person needs a few bikes, one for every style of riding you want to do that day. or trip you're taking

I could never in a million years fit into that crowd(no tats and I don't have a gut) but if I had to buy a Harley it would be an XR1200 from a couple years ago.

I have a gut and ride a VFR....what does the gut have to do with it?....I like food what can I say :)

I'll save up for my Dodge Tomahawk thank you very much.

Back
Top Bottom