Picking Tires | GTAMotorcycle.com

Picking Tires

whats in a tire.... does one company make a tire better then the other? do the cuts mean anything other then pushing out water when it rains? I don't care about price because there is no price on safe

whats in a tire.... does one company make a tire better then the other? do the cuts mean anything other then pushing out water when it rains? I don't care about price because there is no price on safe

1. Rubber
2. Yes
3. Yes

But "better" for one set of circumstances might not be "better" in another set of circumstances. The result is that there is no single "best".

If the original poster wants a more specific answer, maybe they could provide even the slightest bit of information to go on ...

Coming from 4 wheels onto 2 wheels, tire buying has been the most frustrating process to date.
Not many people have experience/insight that can tell WHY tire A is better than tire B.
Most are just fans of a certain brand, and can't tell salt from sugar.

Compared the automotive world, where we have tirerack and their massive surveys/comparisons + lots of people that autox competitively, every tire that is anything more than an all-season has had their reviews and rants posted online for all to examine and base their decisions on. Emphasis on the local autox scene because it's quite large, with many experienced guys that have run the best (street tire or r-compound) tire available to remain competitive, picking out a specific tire was easy-peasy.

It's all about what you'd be doing with your bike.

Super sticky tires aren't great in the rain. Rain tires aren't great for grip.

All about compromise.

1. tube vs tubeless. rubber outside, steel belt inside
2. yes
3. tread patterns are designed for certain application, the vanes aren't just for water and there is a huge difference in the way a tire performances based on the compounds it is made of and tread pattern used. Some patterns are better for cornering, others for top speed, some for wear resistance, some for rain and knobbies for soft terrain.

Coming from 4 wheels onto 2 wheels, tire buying has been the most frustrating process to date.
Not many people have experience/insight that can tell WHY tire A is better than tire B.
Most are just fans of a certain brand, and can't tell salt from sugar.

Compared the automotive world, where we have tirerack and their massive surveys/comparisons + lots of people that autox competitively, every tire that is anything more than an all-season has had their reviews and rants posted online for all to examine and base their decisions on. Emphasis on the local autox scene because it's quite large, with many experienced guys that have run the best (street tire or r-compound) tire available to remain competitive, picking out a specific tire was easy-peasy.

There are lots of tire comparisons and "shootouts" available for almost all applications for motorcycle tire use.

There are lots of tire comparisons and "shootouts" available for almost all applications for motorcycle tire use.

Can you point me to a website/publication that does the best job?--I've seen assorted reviews and comparisons from various websites/companies, but consistency is also key..

What kind of riding do you do? What kind of bike?

Can you point me to a website/publication that does the best job?--I've seen assorted reviews and comparisons from various websites/companies, but consistency is also key..

tire are very personal. I almost think they are like underware to a degree.

I love michelin, love their profile, how they install and how they perform and feel. Love their touring road series and their sticker power series.....

tire are very personal. I almost think they are like underware to a degree.

I love michelin, love their profile, how they install and how they perform and feel. Love their touring road series and their sticker power series.....

I love my Pirelli Angels. Its like a Burgman as it is with MacDoc

It depends on your bike. a lot of the really nice slick ones are going to be for super sport and the tire/rim setup will be too big for a 125/250/300. Any specifics about the bike or rim size?

Try motorcycle-usa and visordown.

wr250x, a lot of straight line riding:( in any conditions... sideroads, tar n' chip, construction. tires keep squaring off after one year?!?!?!?! not a big burnout guy, I know better then that. its the 17's tubed tires.

Back
Top Bottom