Toronto to Los Angeles | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toronto to Los Angeles

NP - great riding country out there tho watch the heat in the desert stretches.. Don't expect to make time on PCH - a: some crazy oncoming drivers, b: some stunning scenery.

I know there is a cool thing related to doing a solo trip from TO to the west coast and back. Having said that, I would suggest driving (trailering or having the bike in the back of a pick up) to Colorado.... then doing the West Coast trip up to BC and back again through Idaho, Montana, Wyoming etc on the bike.

Like that you maximize the best RIDING portion of your trip and get through the section that is just going to make your tire look like a rectangle from the back. Trust me, for the most part Ontario -> 1/2 way into Colorado is boring.... as is Calgary -> Ontario.

Having said that, riding West of Denver is fantastic and pretty decent in BC.

A few things to note:
- The mountains on the BC - Alberta border can have snow falling any time of the year, although August is your best bet.
- August is also very busy in interior BC and the roads are clogged with traffic... and usually pretty warm that time of the year.
- Vegas area can have very heavy rains and sand storms..... and it can be extremely hot. Death Valley is a neat place to ride through, but man, August is the wrong time to go through there. Also, don't drive on I-15 heading west out of Vegas on a Sunday afternoon or Monday afternoon after a long weekend.... it is heavy traffic all the way to LA.
- Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, California are all awesome riding states. The cops in Montana are usually pretty forgiving in that 10mph over = $20, 20mph over = $40, and 30mph over is $60.... and many of the back roads are 70mph. Double check the fines if you are playing that game... and it is a roadside penalty, you pay on the spot.
- Utah - many sections of I-15 through Utah are 80mph. They will bust you for as little as 5mph over the limit there..... but 80mph is a very reasonable highway limit..... and there are a TON of cops on Utah highways. BUT - the back roads are better for riding anyway.
- I would do the trip in September. Just keep an eye out if you are in the Canadian Rockies to make sure a freak summer storm isn't going to affect your plans. Even if it does, chances are you can go around it.
- BC, 40kph over and your bike goes to the pound and you lose your licence..... kinda like Ontario.
- In the middle of nowhere CO, Utah, WY, MT usually if you are away from the little towns there are no cops, but make darn sure you do the speed limit near and in the towns, or you will get busted. Plus most people won't care if you are speeding on a back road with no traffic, but it is disrespectful to blast past some small town.
- Watch for wildlife in Montana and other western states... take it easy on blind corners.

- Anyway - I live in Calgary these days and can tell you the riding in the Western US is where it is at! You can find some of the best riding in the world around there and the back roads are usually fairly empty. That's why I would suggest maximizing your FUN time and bombing through the boring as fast as possible. In a car if you are tired you can just pull over and catch some rest with the AC on if it is hot out.... then carry on.

Last edited:
Trust me, for the most part Ontario -> 1/2 way into Colorado is boring.... as is Calgary -> Ontario.

yup - you have to work at finding good roads once you exit Pennsylvania/Ohio where there are good riding roads but that then cuts into the trip and you can get to Penn anytime in 4 hours.

Even in the van with two drivers we are still looking at 4 days each way ( with a bit of fudge factor - week total driving ) for Calgary and back with our touring goal as Banff Jasper Lake Louis and then a couple of weeks in Yukon and Alaska.

FYI on driving times - Cannonball from Toronto to Denver is ~24 hours... switching drivers would get you there in short order (leave at 5pm.... get to Denver 5p.m. or there abouts the next day) and that's ~2/3rds the distance to LA. Chances are to Calgary will take you at least 36 hours or so.... if you go through the US.

The ride between Banff and Jasper is spectacular from a scenery point of view..... a bit of a boring ride from the twisty perspective. For the most part they managed to make mountain roads in Alberta boring.

I can't stress how much good riding there is in places like Montana. Even the interstate (I-15) from Great Falls to Helena is awesome.

Last edited:
Get a cooling vest for Vegas/Desert county I was there last August and the vest was a life saver.

If trailering your bike is an option, pm me for details. I know someone who has trailered our bikes to different locations including Las Vegas, Denver as well as Sacramento. I think there is a truck going out to Colorado in Mid August. Starting a ride out there is awesome and will ensure that you'll make it back within your time frame with plenty of rest days. Regardless sounds like a great trip coming up. Be safe.

I agree with BeastieGirl ... Nevada in particular will be MORE THAN BRUTAL. Las Vegas in August can reach 115 degrees F. Ask me how I know.

We drove by Phoenix in April on the way to the Grand Canyon and it's the first time I understood the term "the sun beating down"

It felt like physical blows....it was over 100 degrees and I had to hang a wet towel in the driver side window where the sun was coming in just to be able to drive.....and that was April ffs.

Stay hydrated - the dry air and wind from riding will suck the moisture from you even if the temps are not so high....but when they do get up.....serious issues if you don't hydrate like crazy.

Only dehyrdrated once on a bike trip - never again..

•••

I can't stress how much good riding there is in places like Montana. Even the interstate (I-15) from Great Falls to Helena is awesome.

I wondered about that - got some tips?? as we vanning across to Alaska and back and getting off the slab for a bit would be good.

Last edited:
Here are some newbee questions, having not yet ridden from the central plains, through desert, to reach the mountains and then coast of California:

Is crossing desert a necessity or are there routes that avoid desert when heading towards the mountains and then coast of California?

How long in hours or days is the desert crossing, on average?

Is a 2L sized pop bottle of water enough to get you across?

thanks

There's not really one desert, there is an area mostly in the south-west US that is very dry. But it's not like there aren't cities, interstates, gas stations, 7-11s all over the place. If you really wanted to you could cross Nevada and not have to carry any water at all, just stop at every gas station, convenience store or McDonalds and buy a drink.

However, if you are going to venture off the Interstate or main highways into the parks, like Death Valley, Mojave, etc., then it's recommended to bring water with you (even though there are potable water sources in the campgrounds in these parks). You don't have to ride through these parks to get to the coast.

If however, you don't want to see any sand at all, then maybe cut across the continent on the Canadian side then ride the Pacific Coast down through Washington, Oregon and into California. You can even skirt the south of the CAN/US border along Montana and the Dakotas for some nice riding roads if you want to take a break from the Canadian Prairies.

There's not really one desert, there is an area mostly in the south-west US that is very dry. But it's not like there aren't cities, interstates, gas stations, 7-11s all over the place. If you really wanted to you could cross Nevada and not have to carry any water at all, just stop at every gas station, convenience store or McDonalds and buy a drink.

However, if you are going to venture off the Interstate or main highways into the parks, like Death Valley, Mojave, etc., then it's recommended to bring water with you (even though there are potable water sources in the campgrounds in these parks). You don't have to ride through these parks to get to the coast.

If however, you don't want to see any sand at all, then maybe cut across the continent on the Canadian side then ride the Pacific Coast down through Washington, Oregon and into California. You can even skirt the south of the CAN/US border along Montana and the Dakotas for some nice riding roads if you want to take a break from the Canadian Prairies.

Thanks for this info!

The risk is getting stranded on a bike in the heat with no shade near by....make sure you've got CAA Plus.

2 Litres is not enough - 4 litres should see you through any casual breakdown....

On the slab should nto be an issue but you will be tempted by some fabulous side roads.

Even here where the heat is not as high but humidity higher I carry 4 litres on the KLR and usually go through it in a day.

Those temps around Phoenix are nothing to fool with

Heat stroke is a serious condition caused by failure of the body's natural thermostat resulting in an inability to cool itself down by normal means. It usually occurs as a result of exposure to very hot surroundings.

The onset can be sudden, resulting in unconsciousness in a matter of minutes. Medical assistance should be sought as soon as possible.

You've got gear on and temps at the desert floor

. In some parts of the Arizona desert the temperature can reach 140 degrees F and ...

I'd tend recommend travelling early morning and after the worst of the heat is gone in the afternoon ....but heading west you can end up in blinding sun late in the day.

Just be careful and carry more water and drink lots at every stop. It sneaks up on you when you are riding you don't understand how much fluid you are losing.

Then you breakdown, your gear heats in the sun in a heart beat.

I'm forever getting cautioned here in tropical Australia about drinking enough when riding. Most of the hard core have camel backs.

But I've dehydrated at 15 degrees C on a bright dry sunny day on the northern Trans- Canada in Quebec and I had no idea it was happening.
Scary that....won't make that mistake again.
Here is a good article

http://www.roadrunner.travel/2013/0...ation-strategies-when-riding-in-extreme-heat/

Last edited:
Its possible to avoid the desert. I did follow a storm on the way back from LA across Nevada to Colorado.
When it gets too hot you need to insulate yourself from the outside air. It is counter intuitive but you have to close all vents , imagine the heavy garments mid eastern wear.
The only way to get away from this is using the cooling vest.

I wondered about that - got some tips?? as we vanning across to Alaska and back and getting off the slab for a bit would be good.

Man, Montana is hard to go wrong. A good ride/drive is coming form Libby up to Eureka along Lake Koocanusa... that will put you near the Canadian border. Along I-15 there is a road called Recreation Road SW of Great Falls .... awesome for camping etc.... along the Missouri River.

I might ask you for Australia tips soon. :D

Thanks for the Montana tip
•••

No problem with Aus advice long as it's in the North. ( Cairns )

There are excellent riding groups tho.

OZStoc for one.
http://www.ozstoc.com.au

They can tell you about the south.

It's big tho - almost the size of the US and few people...2/3 of Canada.
So it's a looooong way between centres.

The south is generally where you want to concentrate - how long a trip?

So I'm leaving in a few weeks and have yet to commit to a route. I am toying with the idea of driving north and crossing over at Sault St. Marie into Michigan-Wisconsin-minnestoa then into the dakotas, montana, wyoming, utah, nevada, california, then down the PCH. Or, I could cross over from Sarnia and do pretty much the same. Thoughts?

If you're going to trek north all the way to the Soo, you might as well go all the way and ride the top of Lake Superior, it is truly a remarkable ride and can't be missed. Then you can always make your away back south around the lake and still do the Dakotas, etc. if you want to skip the Canadian prairies.

If you don't decide to do this, I see no benefit of riding to the Soo rather than crossing over at Sarnia and getting to the US sooner, since the American Interstates have a much higher speed limit than the TransCanada. That ride up the 400 to Sudbury is not very exciting either.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom