Recommendation on bringing your own bike to FAST school... Yes or No? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recommendation on bringing your own bike to FAST school... Yes or No?

They asked during registration what pace you ride, which worked out fairly well. After the first session they made a couple adjustments, but they were 80% of the way there from the start. You could quickly tell who had more experience so the grouping worked out well. Nelson is pretty tight though for groups to pass other groups, so there were some hold ups. Trying to catch Andrew Nelson out there was a lot of fun, unreal how late he brakes.

That's the first I've heard of such groups. The last time I did FAST was 2003 I think. They used to divide into groups throughout the day based on lap times. That way the riders would stay closer together in the groups on-track and benefit more from the on-track instruction.

Apparently I belong to a small club. I took my street bike when I did Turn2. I figured it was easier to learn to ride a bike I know fast, than something foreign. That, and I didn't have the money to rent lol.

Only drawback imo was prepping the bike. Which I did the night before. Which resulted in getting about 2 hours of sleep. Which resulted in being completely bagged by the end of the day. Still had loads of fun was definitely the most anyone could have asked for out of a track school.

The most common thing I hear when prompting street only riders to give track riding a try is that they don't want to crash. I've tracked all of my street bikes and never crashed any of them. If you're confident in your abilities then I see no reason not to track your street bike, but that's just me.

I always assumed he was referring to using his street bike to do the course and not a track only purpose bike. I did a track day on my street bike before I bought the track bike and it sucked balls, i was more worried about crashing my 10k bike than actually learning or doing anything productive on the track, there is no point on going round and round if you are too worried about crashing.
^^^^ This. That's why I would say use their bike at least for the first course.

The most common thing I hear when prompting street only riders to give track riding a try is that they don't want to crash. I've tracked all of my street bikes and never crashed any of them. If you're confident in your abilities then I see no reason not to track your street bike, but that's just me.
I have to strongly disagree with this, plenty of very capable riders have crashed, anyone can make a mistake including the most Confident riders, you also forgetting about others mistakes that can affect you even at a course.

Confidence has nothing to do with it, **** happens.

I have to strongly disagree with this, plenty of very capable riders have crashed, anyone can make a mistake including the most Confident riders, you also forgetting about others mistakes that can affect you even at a course.

Confidence has nothing to do with it, **** happens.
**** happens, but putting any bike on any track will not result in an instant crash. Ironic because the same riders will go ride our amazingly bumpy sandy backroads will not even a thought of crashing.

**** happens, but putting any bike on any track will not result in an instant crash. Ironic because the same riders will go ride our amazingly bumpy sandy backroads will not even a thought of crashing.
If I crash my 10k bike on a sandy road i get my money back from insurance, if i crash it at the track, I get $0 from insurance.

I was afraid of losing my bike, I wasn't afraid of body harm (you have seen my crash videos)

Putting a bike on a track does not result in an instant crash, but why not take that out of the equation so you can fully concentrate on what you are there to do, learn!

We have different opinions, no one is right or wrong, we just look at it differently

Last edited:
If I crash my 10k bike on a sandy road i get my money back from insurance, if i crash it at the track, I get $0 from insurance.

I was afraid of losing my bike, I wasn't afraid of body harm (you have seen my crash videos)

Putting a bike on a track does not result in an instant crash, but why not take that out of the equation so you can fully concentrate on what you are there to do, learn!

We have different opinions, no one is right or wrong, we just look at it differently
I've never owned a bike worth 10k, so that might have something to do with it lol

You are there to learn how to improve your technique. Why would you want to have to learn a new bike at the same time?

As smergy said, track time is limited, so learning a different bike with different characteristics is going to eat into that time. Hopping on a machine that has a different powerband, different brakes, different rearset height, different turn in, can be hard to adjust to in the limited time you are on track.

Agreed that nobody is right or wrong, but there are valid points to both side. Renting definitely has it's advantages, although you are still liable for the potential damages to that bike as well. I just want to remove the vibe a lot of street guys have, which is streetbike + track = crash.

Last edited:
With how little damage a motorcycle can take, I'd rather risk theirs. I'm sure its tuned specifically for course layout anyways.

I took race school on my street bike. I then raced it for the first year. Ride it to shanny two up, pull the lights,ride friday, put lights back in friday night ride to bellville for dinner. Back to track,pull lights. Repeat for saturday and sunday. But as carboncat has said I'm a little off. :)

With how little damage a motorcycle can take, I'd rather risk theirs. I'm sure its tuned specifically for course layout anyways.

Not a chance. They don't even take the time to set suspension sag for each rider at FAST. You just get on and go. But I agree, first time on the track, risk theirs. If you have your own track bike or can afford to lose your street bike, take it to the school.

Back
Top Bottom