Recommendation on bringing your own bike to FAST school... Yes or No? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recommendation on bringing your own bike to FAST school... Yes or No?

HELLBOY

Hey guys,

As per the title, does anyone recommend bringing their own bike to FAST riding school @ Shannonville? I know a few have, and I'd like to hear their experiences with it. Or is it advisable to not risk it and use theirs?

if you are trying to save money, then let me help you.... Run away from this sport

There is no other reason why you would use your bike instead of theirs.

Unless he already has a track bike, thus already has the money pit and his trying to keep afloat. LOL

I did FAST on their bike the first time (first time ever on the track) and then used my own track bike (after I got one) at FAST later. It was good because I got to learn the riding techniques that worked on my bike with my setup.

Well put, ZX600. I've already anticipated the wallet-raping and credit-killing aspect of this pursuit. But i'm stubborn and a masochist, so I'll plow on.

I've already registered for June course with the rental option secured. I just heard from some past attendees that they wished they could have taken their own bike. I was curious to see how others fared going that route.

DoozerDave I will likely follow the way you did it - 1st stage with theirs, following track days with mine.

I don't wish that I had used my own bike the first time. Their bikes are fine, and it was fun to try a different bike. I did stage 1&2 in the same weekend on their bike, so by day 2 I was already totally comfortable on their bike anyway and was able to push enough to make Kevin Lacombe smile when he got off track. That felt pretty good. haha...

I would only recommend bringing your own bike if it was track ready. Doing all that stuff to prep your street bike plus doing the course plus maybe crashing and wrecking your bike, nah rent theirs.

I would only recommend bringing your own bike if it was track ready. Doing all that stuff to prep your street bike plus doing the course plus maybe crashing and wrecking your bike, nah rent theirs.

This is what I was about to say.

I did 1+2 on their bikes but if I was to do 3 I would go with my own, all ready set up "track" bike. Their bikes have the throttles limited and on the longer track it would get pretty annoying, while on the short track it doesnt really matter.

I don't have a track bike. This is my initial "feet getting wet" moment in the world of track riding for me. It will sort out if I like it enough to justify the purchase of a strictly track motorcycle. Which, I have a feeling, it will...

Guess I'm the odd man out but I did Phase 1 (in 2004 mind you) on my own bike. I was riding an SV650 at the time, so I set it up for the track and used it. My set up involved replacing the coolant with water, applying abead of locktite across side of the oil drain plug, pulling out the headlight fuses (or bulbs - I can't remember), and taping over the glass and signals with a combination of dollar store shelf paper and coloured duct tape. Didn't seem like a big deal. I also did a handful of track days following FAST with the same bike and just set up similarly. And yes it was my street bike and I continued to ride it to work at the same time up unitl I sold it.

I suppose using their bike would have been fine too, but I did save some money this way and fortunately never had a wreck with the bike.

In that case use their bikes. Take the SV as it will be easier for you.

I don't have a track bike. This is my initial "feet getting wet" moment in the world of track riding for me. It will sort out if I like it enough to justify the purchase of a strictly track motorcycle. Which, I have a feeling, it will...

I will never forget the guy that used his 999 to do Phase 1 at the same time as me... he was getting lapped by pretty much everybody (I think we were medium group?)

Another thing...I see that the course is divided into three groups - conservative, experienced, advanced (or something to that effect). Under what criteria does one get chosen to be in either of the three groups?

That's the first I've heard of such groups. The last time I did FAST was 2003 I think. They used to divide into groups throughout the day based on lap times. That way the riders would stay closer together in the groups on-track and benefit more from the on-track instruction.

That is just to get a general idea of what group to start in. Then by noon the groups get better sorted to lap times. Hard to keep a group together if the times vary wildly.

The answer is, it depends. I did fast 1 & 2 last year just to give it a go. Consider:

1.) comfort, you are there to learn a new skill, not a how to ride a new bike IMO. The track time is limited (7 x 10 min) and you want to spend your time focusing on the exercise, not spending time learning a new bike, missing shifts, etc.

2.) If you crash (1 person did when I was there, it was quite minor), you are liable for up to $2k on damage, or pay the $129 to lower the deductible to $250. You could argue its reasonable insurance, but given you are not running 9/10ths pace the probability of crashing isn't as high as a regular track day. To me, insurance is only worthwhile if you cannot oversee a cost. i.e. would writing off a bike put you into financial hardship? what about $2k? $250? No one wants to write a check, but calculate your worst case scenario.

3.) pace, depending on what you ride, the bikes they have may be above/below your regular pace. Run at your normal pace/race lines to get the biggest benefit from the course.

There were only 4 or 5 that brought their own out of the entire class, so I was definitely in the minority bringing my own. The bike power is limited, but on nelson track just to learn how to ride, you really don't need it (although power wheelying down to 2 is a lot of fun). They have fairly strict riding/passing rules for safety. If you act like an idiot, they will throw you out, as one guy found out last year.

I always assumed he was referring to using his street bike to do the course and not a track only purpose bike. I did a track day on my street bike before I bought the track bike and it sucked balls, i was more worried about crashing my 10k bike than actually learning or doing anything productive on the track, there is no point on going round and round if you are too worried about crashing.

Back
Top Bottom