Car Buying - What Made your Experience Great? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Car Buying - What Made your Experience Great?

Appreciate your thoughts...

According to most of the articles i've read about the Transit state that they will be sharing power train and other components with the pickups. You can get the Ecoboost motor from the pickups for sure, and the same tranny. One of the selling points they were spewing was that due to component sharing service and parts wait times would decrease compared to the Sprinter. I wish they would just bring the whole thing as is from Europe as a proven package.

I have to respect Ford overall for not taking any bail out money. I like the pricing point on a lot of Ford vehicles, I know they sell very well but just not to me. They have had lots of good ideas, just poor implementation. Im not really a car guy i've always been into trucks, so that's what I have most experience with. I've found Ford trucks to drive like your sitting on a giant red rubber dodge ball. You sort of squish your way over bumps down the road, roll around corners and when you hit the brakes your welcomes to a soft unresponsive pedal. Overall there's really nothing all that wrong other then a total lack of precision. Overall drive impression; uninspired.

I won't make any analysis final or otherwise until I can get into the Transit and drive it for my self. I really hope it drives well, I want to like it. I don't want a Promaster, but as a business owner I have to do what is right for the business. I've even looked at the Nissan NV's but they are slightly too short and the fuel economy stinks.

I welcome all competitors to the Sprinter. MB designed and built a fairly good niche product and enjoyed their full market share for years without actually improving the product. The dealers (few Sprinter ones that exist) all know they are the only game in town and priced accordingly. That is going to change, and that change needed to come. Im going into my MB dealer today to "speak" with the general manager about some lack of service and over charging by the service dept. I expect to be asked to leave when im done, but I've had it with them.

I had a great experience at hyundai Whitby when we bought the Wife's Santa Fe
- Good Service, guy was knowledgeable, no back and for ********, we asked for what we wanted and they gave it to us (We did a lot of research before going and shopped around)

I had a horrible experience at chrysler /Jeep in Ajax
- When I told the guy what I wanted, he said "I have to ask my manager but to show him you are serious I need your credit card". I said "so I am here not because I am serious but because I am bored at home?". Guy replied "well there are 6 sales people and we can not all just go to him with non serious offers". I said "well that is his job, not my problem there are 6 of you, see you later!"

Great Experience at Chrisler/Jeep in North York
- Bought my Jeep from them, Salesman was clueless about the features of the car, but i knew all there was to know about it so that didn't bother me, I put an offer and they accepted it after a little haggle

Last edited:
It would be great if salespeople knew their vehicles... Seriously.
When I bought my truck, I was looking for a specific package truck because it had almost $10,000 off the price. With the sales lady I had, she had to walk up to every truck and look at the window sticker, where I could point out different models from across the lot based on certain trims/wheels/mirrors etc.
And the GM also argued with me about what certain packages include, even when I showed him the website he still refused.

Sometimes, the customer is a "car guy" and know their stuff.

Now I deal with the service department, and a few times I've said a certain part is broken/malfunctioning and it will need xyz... I always get the "well, we will see what it needs". So far I'm batting 1000. The last time I straight up told them the next time I say a certain thing is broke, it's broke... Which has happened too much on this Dodge. My other buddies with new Rams haven't had a single issue. I got a friday truck. GM next time.

According to most of the articles i've read about the Transit state that they will be sharing power train and other components with the pickups. You can get the Ecoboost motor from the pickups for sure, and the same tranny. One of the selling points they were spewing was that due to component sharing service and parts wait times would decrease compared to the Sprinter. I wish they would just bring the whole thing as is from Europe as a proven package.

Yes, valid point. the V6s are from the pick up. Having said that, on our Econolines, the Ford engines are bulletproof. One example has 460k on it and still runs like a champ. I'm fully confident in the Ford motors.

On the Transit, I'd be looking at the diesel option, which is a 3.2L 5 cylinder, and I am certain not available on the pick up trucks. It appears the design of this motor is right from the European arm of Ford and appears to have been out for a few years now in Europe but will be made in the US on the north american market vans, so likely its tried and true motor. Heres more details click here.....

Again, would like to see pricing and fuel numbers on the Transit Diesel before making a full final analysis, but looks pretty darn good from where Im sitting and should certainly give the Sprinter a run for the money.

Sadly I'm not one of those people that have very good luck with car dealerships. The last experience I had was pretty ridiculous and slightly painful. Thank god I got a really good price on my car but I don't think I'll ever get any of my service or bring any other business to those guys ever again. The sales guy I dealt with was completely clueless to the trim options of the car I wanted to purchase. But thankfully I had some friends on the inside at the Manufacturer's HQ. They got me the invoice price for that specific dealership / vin of the vehicle so I knew exactly what I was going to pay no more no less. That was probably the best part about the whole car buying experience.

Some of the things IMO that definitely need changing are:

1) Sales Staff education -- if you're going to sell cars, try to be into cars and the product you're selling. Be with it when it comes to what cars are on your lot and what options there are.
2) Respect -- Don't treat the customer like they're idiots, they have the money. You want the money. Be respectful. I came in to one of the dealerships I was cross shopping in regular clothes it took 30 minutes before a sales guy came to help me. Be courteous, and helpful even if you don't "think" the person is going to buy a car. Most customers know what they're looking for these days since the internet contains a lot of information. I'm not the type of person that goes into a dealership for no reason. If I'm there chances are I'm looking to buy a car.
3) learning how to take no for an answer .... When she says no, it means no. -- offer the extended warranty or rust proofing or some other paid for service but realize when we say no.. we really mean no. The guy I dealt with was a persistent bugger and wouldn't take no for an answer. This was really irritating.
4) Respect -- Never deliver a car with damage. Treat every car you're going to deliver like it's the one you want to buy. I refused to take the car they presented as it had damage and the sales guy got angry with me I walked. 3 hours later they called and said they'd fix it (it was minor damage but I'm not buying a damaged product). I told them it wasn't good enough. So they threw in some extras to sweeten the deal this worked out pretty good for me. But it was disrespectful. I wouldn't do that to someone so I would expect the same.
5) Respect -- After the purchase even if you screwed up and had to fix the issue treat the customer with respect. The car buying experience shouldn't end once you have left the lot. I'd expect a car sales man to help the service department with rapport. Needless to say I'm never going back there that dealership will never get another cent from me, my family or my friends. This is how you lose business and acquire a bad reputation.

That said some customers are a pain in the *** and respect goes both ways.

- T -

Bought my last 3 trucks from the same guy at Yonge Steeles ford.

Told him what i wanted exactly in the truck, and top dollar i wanted to pay per month.

He knows his ****, and answers truthfully on my questions.

That'd because that owner is a slime ball. He tried to hire me twice and both times I told him no way. Now he's off doing that out west somewhere I heard.

I forgot about this story but when I was shopping for my car, this dealer in Stouffville tried to pressure me into signing a deal. I didn't sign & he threw a hissy fit. Needless to say I haven't been back to that dealer

Bumping old thread. Wife is buying new car. Decided on model. (2015 Hyundai Elantra GT) Talked to sales rep at local dealer. Got sticker price minus an $800 manufacturer discount (I assume because 2016 models are on their way) Today I requested quotes on the car from four dealers through the Hyundai website. Got two replies so far at basically the same price. What should my next move be?

Bumping old thread. Wife is buying new car. Decided on model. (2015 Hyundai Elantra GT) Talked to sales rep at local dealer. Got sticker price minus an $800 manufacturer discount (I assume because 2016 models are on their way) Today I requested quotes on the car from four dealers through the Hyundai website. Got two replies so far at basically the same price. What should my next move be?
Want to buy my sedan GLS? I want a GT, lol.

Go from dealer to dealer & tell them X dealer is offering me for Y. They will try to beat it. I think I got $1000 off. Make sure you ask for out the door price

Been following a guy named Greg Carrasco on Twitter for a while. Used to work for Nissan, now at Oakville Hyundai. Supposedly he will beat anyone's price. Also has a radio show Saturday mornings, AM 640.

Get those quotes, then talk to him.
Also, only negotiate final out the door price, even if planning to finance. Only talk finance when price is finalized.

Last edited:
Always had great experience at my Toyota dealership. Scarborough Toyota. Bought my Tundra in 2007 and never looked back. I could get any truck I want tomorrow, but I'd be worried that it would even approach the quality of this truck. 250,000km and not a squeak or a rattle

Trying to sell me a $30k car, atleast throw in good head from a hot girl...that'll make my experience exceptional.

Best was John @ Leggat Chevrolet ; he was extremely accommodating when he sold me a Jeep. Wasn't even looking for a Jeep - but ended up buying it as it was a very fair and it was a honest truck.

It was a very hot day, and he let me keep my dog in his ac'd office when we went for a test drive, later that day went back and negotiated and fair price. He ended up talking the dealership into putting a set of new tires on before delivery and even changing the oil. Such a NICE person!

If I was going to buy something, and they were selling it - I'd gladly go back!

.... GM next time.
...and then the next time will be Ford? They are all crap. Just like polititians. Just got to pick the least worse one at the time. :(

I don't think I've ever had a good experience in the medium run...never mind long run.

Back
Top Bottom