Positive ground??? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Positive ground???

I tend to agree you need help.
There is nothing wrong with positive ground, actually positive ground has benefits over negative ground.
If you really don't want positive ground it is quite simple to convert it to negative ground. (If you change anything change it all. I have seen way too many bodges with some stuff positive earth and some stuff negative. It is easier up front but a nightmare down the road).
Do you have any specific questions?
I think Walridge or British Cycle sell new aftermarket complete wiring harnesses.

I should be good now but I'll keep these places in mind for future reference. I would like to keep the bike positive ground to keep it clean with minimal wires.
Thanks for the help erreybody!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW Here is the beast of burden
y4u3asat.jpg

Last edited:
I should be good now but I'll keep these places in mind for future reference. I would like to keep the bike positive ground to keep it clean with minimal wires.
Thanks for the help erreybody!

Whether it is positive or negative ground doesn't change the number of wires involved. It only changes whether certain things are labeled "+" or "-".

If you are building an original-restoration and the original bike was built positive ground, there is only one choice.

If you have to use certain original-equipment components that are polarity-sensitive and are inherently built positive-ground (starter motor, voltage regulator/rectifier come to mind), you also only have one choice.

If you don't have those issues to deal with and you want to make the bike easily serviceable and diagnosable by a normal mechanic, using negative ground will make life much more conventional for them ...

If you don't have those issues to deal with and you want to make the bike easily serviceable and diagnosable by a normal mechanic, using negative ground will make life much more conventional for them ...
Are you saying I am not normal............:D

Theoretically there is little difference in wiring whether you use positive ground or negative. IIRC the positive ground causes more problems with corrosion with our salt laden winter roads. Something to do with cathodic reactions but I can't bother to look it up.

The connection problems are difficult if the device is polarity specific (LEDs, electric motors). If the housing of the device is part of the connection then the housing must be isolated if switching polarity. Tricky for starter motors.

Last edited:
Theoretically there is little difference in wiring whether you use positive ground or negative. IIRC the positive ground causes more problems with corrosion with our salt laden winter roads. Something to do with cathodic reactions but I can't bother to look it up.

The connection problems are difficult if the device is polarity specific (LEDs, electric motors). If the housing of the device is part of the connection then the housing must be isolated if switching polarity. Tricky for starter motors.
I had it positive ground when the frame was red... once it got sandblasted I realized the polarity issues you mentioned... not everything is negative ground and almost ready to go... it's a low budget build so it's taking time... it will be a beauty... one day! :)

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

I had it positive ground when the frame was red... once it got sandblasted I realized the polarity issues you mentioned... not everything is negative ground and almost ready to go... it's a low budget build so it's taking time... it will be a beauty... one day! :)

****now everything is negative ground...

Back
Top Bottom