new to wrenching on my bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

new to wrenching on my bike

trilea

Hey,

I have reached a regular service interval for my motorcycle ( 09 ninja 250) 35xxx km and realized that haven't really done any maintenance on it other than oil and tire changes. I was wondering if you could give me a hand answering 2 questions

1) do i need any special tools ( I have the service manual and a standard set of sockets, and torque wrenches and bike lifts)

2) Are there any components that I will likely have to replace (2009 kawasaki ninja 250r)
-> im assuming ill have to replace the air filter element but other than that im not really sure. (I would like to try and buy everything i need in one trip.)

I've always enjoyed tinkering and have set aside 3 days to do it. Any pointers would be helpful.

Thanks

The valve check (and possibly adjustment) is important. So you need feeler gauges for that. You're way way overdue if it has never been done. You need the tappet adjuster tool (whatever yours is, mine is a Suzuki and since the tip on my Suzuki is like a Robertson it is possible to make your own with a deck screw and a electrical wire twist on connector or cork or whatever. I just bought the tappet adjuster from Suzuki.)

Valves being off affects all kinds of stuff and when they are too tight they can injure your engine.

I just did my first ever one yesterday. Exhaust was perfect, intake was at the edge of the outside range (loose) so I tightened it to the middle.

The Ninja 250 engine uses shim-under-bucket valve adjustment. Checking the valve clearances is not too hard. If any of them require adjustment, the tensioner and camshafts have to come out. While this type of chore is within the capabilities of a mechanically adept individual, there are plenty of things that, if screwed up, will destroy your engine, so it is certainly a task to be taken seriously. Be careful, check your work, follow the steps in the factory service manual precisely. Timing the camshafts, and installing the tensioner, are two things that MUST be done correctly, or serious engine damage will result if you don't.

This is the type of thing you are in for. Yes, I know this engine has 4 cylinders and yours has 2, and this engine is out of the bike ... but it's the same idea.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...ter-overhaul&p=2113102&viewfull=1#post2113102

My advice is.. If you are not mechanically inclined then don't be cheap and pay some one to do the valves. I done valves once on a cb1000 and It took me all day.. While i enjoy working on a bike I realized My time is worth something..

Based on what Brian P said, I would say pay someone to do it. In my case it's just a single cylinder with a locknut and adjuster screw. Very different from a complexity perspective for a novice to tackle.

On the bright side, the Ninja needs checking less. I believe mine requires a check every 5K.

Wow, I am going to get myself a Ninja. Throw the bike away, as you got your moneys worth. Joking aside, fork oil/seals, spark plugs, break fluid, break pads, chain and sprockets. Lets get busy, spring is finally here!

Your owner's manual should list what is required to be checked and adjusted. Based on what Brian P wrote I would consider checking the valves yourself as it will cost only your time and if it needs adjustment then look for a professional.

A great place to start is the owners manual and service manual. If you don't have a physical copy, it should be very easy to find a digital copy on a ninja 250 forum. There should be a table in one of those showing all the maintenance that need to be done and at what time + km intervals. I imagine it will include:

• Checking/lubing cables
  • Replacing coolant
  • Checking spark plug condition/gap
  • Cleaning air filter
  • Replacing brake fluid
  • Checking brake pads
  • Checking chain tension and condition
  • Checking valve clearance
  • Greasing pivot points

This is the type of thing you are in for. Yes, I know this engine has 4 cylinders and yours has 2, and this engine is out of the bike ... but it's the same idea.

SOOOOOO much easier when the engine is on the work bench (still following your project, looking good!)

OP, All the basic stuff is not very hard, but it is alot of fidley bits to deal with when you start getting into valves/clutches/etc. Triple check all your work and if you are the least bit unsure, check it again.

Many years ago I managed to destroy a clutch basket because I was in a rush to swap friction plates out and get back out on the track. Lesson learned and I take my time and check all my work very thoroughly.

Thanks for the input, I got the bike originally to learn to work on the bike and gain a fuller understanding but I don't really feel confident in taking everything apart, nor do i have the special tools required. Ill see about taking it in somewhere and maybe i can watch to get more comfortable with the work that needs to be done. At least for the first time.

Thanks for the input, I got the bike originally to learn to work on the bike and gain a fuller understanding but I don't really feel confident in taking everything apart, nor do i have the special tools required. Ill see about taking it in somewhere and maybe i can watch to get more comfortable with the work that needs to be done. At least for the first time.

I started wrenching with a basket case, a service manual and a decent (if limited) set of tools. There are not really all that many specialty tools you need. What I would suggest you have is:

-Good set of screwdrivers
-Metric socket set
-Hex drivers
-torque wrenches
-Feeler gauges
-Light hammer.
-A multimeter is also handy to have and a $2 sync tool.

Forks sometimes need the special tools and maybe when your replace a rivet chain or tires. Tire changes I find a pain in the *** even if I know how to do it and have the tools.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/t...3-piece-socket-set-0589235p.html#.U11LrlcVfiE

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/t...wdriver-set-100-pc-0573665p.html#.U11Lv1cVfiE

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/t...ibility-pliers-set-0584789p.html#.U11L41cVfiE

Back
Top Bottom