Dualsporting a dirtbike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dualsporting a dirtbike

tylerwaugh

I know its no longer legal to blueplate an offroad bike but im wondering a couple of things, if it has never been registered as an offroad vehicle could I blue plate it aslong as it has the required parts. And another question is could I take a dirtbike and dualsport it and then register it as a home built motorcycle?

No and no
Reason for #1- has to be street legal from the factory
Reason for #2- see above
I wish these laws were thrown out cuz I would have the sickest RMZ-450 rockin' the streets!!

They should either get rid of it or atleast give offroad vehicles more freedom on side roads and country roads

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

I know the green plate switched to blue plate cant be switched back but isn't there a loophole about if it has 17 digit VIN it can legally be registered for road use? In that case, all you would need is proper mirrors and lights.

I know the green plate switched to blue plate cant be switched back but isn't there a loophole about if it has 17 digit VIN it can legally be registered for road use? In that case, all you would need is proper mirrors and lights.

Some few bikes can still be blue plated, it does depend on the Vin. I blue plated an 03 ktm exc200 2t two summers ago. If they run your vin, it'll tell you wether that model is allowed or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And another question is could I take a dirtbike and dualsport it and then register it as a home built motorcycle?

I think that may be an option, but you should first call regarding insurance on your "home built motorcycle". I was considering doing this for a home built "dual sport 3wheeler" (basically taking a bunch of parts from different models of ATCs and adding signals, brake lights, etc) until I found out how costly insurance is for home-built contraptions ($3,000-$5,000/year is what I was quoted - I pay $388/year for my dual-sport 450cc Husky)

Some few bikes can still be blue plated, it does depend on the Vin. I blue plated an 03 ktm exc200 2t two summers ago. If they run your vin, it'll tell you wether that model is allowed or not.

I have a green plated 05 400 exc.......if i take my ownership into the mto its possible they will change it to blue plated?

I have a green plated 05 400 exc.......if i take my ownership into the mto its possible they will change it to blue plated?

They will tell you if it's possible if they run the vin. You will still need safety certificate to get it "fit" and plated. The exc series of ktm is one of the few that can still slide through.
Pm me if you have an issue.

From what I've read on ODSC and ADVrider if its been listed as green plate it cannot be switched back, however, if 1. it was never registered as blue or green plate 2. doesn't have "For off road use only" on it and 3. has a 17-digit vin number, than it can be registered as blue plate. Also, there have been some that were registered under the assumption that the MTO person wasn't paying attention to the screen or something along those lines.

If it has a blue plate it can be switched to green plate only (but that's stupid as it devalues it and ruins it from ever being on the road again)

From what I've read on ODSC and ADVrider if its been listed as green plate it cannot be switched back, however, if 1. it was never registered as blue or green plate 2. doesn't have "For off road use only" on it and 3. has a 17-digit vin number, than it can be registered as blue plate. Also, there have been some that were registered under the assumption that the MTO person wasn't paying attention to the screen or something along those lines.

If it has a blue plate it can be switched to green plate only (but that's stupid as it devalues it and ruins it from ever being on the road again)

False. When I bought my exc200 it was blue plated. I switched to blue plate for a summer(cheaper insurance), following year I switched it back. I also bought a green plated ktm, switched it to blue as well. It all has to do with the manufacturer, if it's listed as off-road only when the model is brought to canada, it has to stay green plate. The exc series was and is road legal elsewhere in the world, so it can be made so here.
Most times, the problem is the employee behind the counter doesn't know/understand the laws. It's easier for them to say no.

So I just got back from service ontario.

In order to change a green plated motorcycle to blue plated you need
-a letter from the manufacture stating it conforms to the requirements of a road legal motorcycle
-a safety cert.
-an affidavit

Not sure if i should go through with it or just sell it.

So I just got back from service ontario.

In order to change a green plated motorcycle to blue plated you need
-a letter from the manufacture stating it conforms to the requirements of a road legal motorcycle
-a safety cert.
-an affidavit

Not sure if i should go through with it or just sell it.

Yea but a manufacturer wouldn't send that for a bike built for off-road purposes.

Yea but a manufacturer wouldn't send that for a bike built for off-road purposes.

Your right they would never send a letter stating a bike is for road use when it says off road only on the name plate.

Thing is the people at the ministry aren't clear on whats required, they need to call someone. So if you provided a letter stating that the vehicle fits the description of a "motorcycle" im sure you could sneak it through 9 times out of 10.
The woman was confused about why something other than an ATV would be issued an off-road ownership.

My bike clearly states its for offroad use only on the name plate....im not going to bother taking this any further. A new 500 EXC is much more appealing at this point.

False. When I bought my exc200 it was blue plated. I switched to blue plate for a summer(cheaper insurance), following year I switched it back. I also bought a green plated ktm, switched it to blue as well. It all has to do with the manufacturer, if it's listed as off-road only when the model is brought to canada, it has to stay green plate. The exc series was and is road legal elsewhere in the world, so it can be made so here.
Most times, the problem is the employee behind the counter doesn't know/understand the laws. It's easier for them to say no.

I was at a dealership yesterday and from what I learned that is technically because the bike has been grandfathered in. If a bike was originally registered as blue plate in 2011 or earlier then you can switch it back and forth but you can't with newer bikes as was an issue with someone trying to road legal a newer WR450F.

What if I put a klx 300 motor (offroad) into a klr 250 frame(enduro) if that's even possible

That sounds dumb so I will clarify, the klr doesn't have a motor and the klx motor doesn't have a frame that's why I would do it.

To my knowledge it's all up to the frame. If the VIN on the frame is blue plated, then you'll have a blue plated bike. However, I'm not sure how insurance may take modifications.

Klx motor shoul fit in the klr frame, the electrical I'm not sure about.

And since it's in a klr frame, could.it get blue plated?

Yep, the klr was/is/should be road legal straight from the factory. No problems.

Back
Top Bottom