Did snow mess with anyone's bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Did snow mess with anyone's bike?

bboySushi

So after I took my bike out from storage it started up fine, ran with no issues. I rode it home with nothing but a peculiar missing bar end.

Anyways I parked it for about a week and wiped it down. During that period there was that random snow day. Now I went to take my bike out this weekend, and its acting as if it has bad gas almost. Cranks and sputters and dies. Can maintain it with the throttle slightly twisted but its a very uneven sound, rpm is a twitchy. I poured some seafoam in last night, swirled and ran it a bit. The exhaust did kind of clear up, but idle didn't stabilize.

IS it possible the snow has done something that rain normally doesn't? I've ridden in the rain a bunch of times and never had an issue. I'm going to check my plugs tonight to see if there's water in there or something but could it be anything else?

It's a fuel inject bike btw

pull your plugs. Seeing as how it 'runs' while at speed/high rpm, you're forcing gas into it, and hopefully a spark catches it. But it's definitely not consistent and definitely not at low idle.

They're probably fouled and not anythign to do with snow.

Also, i'm oldschool. Fuel is designed to go through a fuel system. I'm not a huge fan of seafoam or other additives on high tech machines.

I agree with the above response, check and clean the spark plugs. When last was the bike serviced, oil & filter change?

Oil/filter was done about 2000km ago last season.

I usually do my own maintenance, last 'service' it had was an electrical inspection and replaced the R/R maybe in October.

I pulled the plugs and they are black. The plugs themselves look fine but they are a bit wet and covered in carbon.

My friend told me to check the TPS but it does sound like quite a bit of work (manually rotating the throttle bodies and matching to the TPS output). Is there anything else that could be fouling my plugs? Most of my bike is stock, I changed my stock exhaust to a slipon but that was close to a year ago. I've always gotten subpar mileage since having the bike (accounting for chain/sprockets), it's only around 140 pushing it.

Perhaps my bike is running rich. Solutions?

I was thinking of just doing a simple hose inspection, I did notice something kinked yesterday, maybe it's just lack of air being sucked in? If I find a cracked hose or something, is there a local store I can buy a length of this type of tubing that you guys know of?

Replace plugs, and check your airbox for any suprises ie mice making a nest ..

Using seafoam with some fresh gas wont hurt anything prior to replacing the plugs too. ( which looks like youve done already)

Ah I was being lazy and just looked at the bottom of the filter through the airbox intakes. I'll take the cover off and check when I inspect the hoses too.

I'm going to look at the cylinders and see if there's carbon deposit above the thread line, maybe the plugs got loose.

i have a similar case with you!
Started the bike twice this season. First time ran fine, rode for around 30km.
Then it sat for 2 weeks, started, rode for 2 mins.. The bike stalled in the middle of a ride. Couldn't start the bike ever since!

I cleaned up the plugs a bit, not perfect with what I had, checked the hoses and made sure they were snug putting them back in. Oil level is good. Air filter was dirty but not surprisingly dirty.

STarted it up and it seemed to struggle a bit, I revved it higher this time for a short period of time and it seemed to clear something out? Was able to keep idle (though still a bit rough). Took it for a spin and back, still idled.

I will get some new plugs, air filter and as soon as I can, some fresh gas and see how she handles then. I don't think the air filter is the root cause.

Will getting a tune fix my fuel richness problem and potentially any sensor errors?

Dont be confused when they say airbox or air filter ..

Over the wintertime, some may find they have visitors in their airbox come springtime.

I recall a bike being brought into Heritage Auto, for similar issues. And once the air box was opened up, was discovered a family of mice/house/food/poo.

Back
Top Bottom