West Virginia blow out the cobwebs tour | GTAMotorcycle.com

West Virginia blow out the cobwebs tour

BeastieGirl

Since apparently spring doesn't want to find us in Ontario I decided to go looking for spring. Good news is I found it in WV.
With both Friday and Monday work holidays for me I did consider a spring version of last years fall run to Deals Gap but with the riding season just started figured there was lots of time for that.
then family plans took over Friday leaving me with 3 days - plenty for a run to WV.
Saturday was strictly highway running from Hamilton to Beckley - QEW to I-90 to I-79 to U.S. 19 but that was fine . Figured the Beast could do with a good engine revving to blow out those cobwebs after sitting though such a long winter. By my first gas stop the heated gear was turned off - by Pittsburgh unplugged and by Morgantown I was stripping off lairs.
Stayed the night at a decent Microtel in Beckley then first stop in the a.m. was back to the lookout for the New River Gorge Bridge. I had ridden over the bridge the day before but wanted to get checked in before dark as it was starting to cool and didn't want to start layering up again for 20 minutes. For the ten minutes I spent there should have just did the quick detour - not that it was impressive but hiking around in my leathers didn't appeal.
But the riding after that was awesome as was the weather. No heat required on Sunday with clear blue skies and temps in the 70s. From the junction of US 19 and 16, I took 16 north east up to Gauley Falls and then 16 back down to its junction with US 60, then 60 west to Lewisburg, hooking up with 219 north to 33/50 and ending up at Blackwater Falls State Park where I stayed at the Lodge.
U.S 60 was a great road and I had never ridden before. A little bit of everything - S-turns, hairpins, sweepers though scenic country - not a lot of straights but its WV. Runs through enough towns that services are plentiful.
Blackwater Falls State Park is beautiful and the Lodge is really nice - at $83.00 as reasonable as a motel in the area with a pool and workout room - damn hot tub is broken though. Definitely will come back here so I can hike some of the trails.
Today is back home probably on 219 the whole way so I can drop in and see my sister in PA-not running the interstates only adds about an hour to the whole trip and its going to be another beautiful day.

Last edited:
Jealous. I went to Fort Erie to visit this weekend an dot was so tempting to just keep going. This sounds like a good idea for a trip. Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Been there, its nice but cabot trail cannot be matched. Its closer, so that's good

Sounds like a great trip. I love the roads of WV

I want the pictures! I'm envious, and in the middle of a move so only spent about six hours on the bike on Saturday, Gravenhurst and back via side roads. Some wicked wheel lofting frost heaves, sand in the corners and a flooded road. I wish I had your itinerary.

y6u9eha3.jpg

Used to do that with the kids - go looking for spring on a long weekend in the van. Was neat to see as it changed on a high speed run south.
Good stuff.
How many km are you doing a day?

Was in Parkersburg area about a year ago, wasn't on the bike, but it is on my list to get back to sometime. awesonme roads

Last edited:
The 2 area's just north of Parkersburg - Waynes Forest and on the other side of the 77 is another forest area with tons and tons of
roads. I usually stay in Marrietta and ride each day from there. I will heading there again sometime this year. Was way to much fun.

Back
Top Bottom