English Oak Lumber | GTAMotorcycle.com

English Oak Lumber

puttockc

Hey all,

I am working on a wedding present for my dad. He let slip a year or two ago how much he loved a table at my grandmother's house and told me how is was build by my great grandfather from English oak in England and given as part of a wedding gift. He wants to build one.

I want to set up everything needed to get started, tools and plans are in order. But the English oak is the catch. I can't seem of find a distributer that sells the lumber.

Anyone have a lead for me?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my my mobile using a strange app for damaged people

A&M specialty wood in Cambridge, Exotic Woods in Burlington, Century Mill in north Toronto....... or just use white oak, that you could source from Upper Canada in Mississauga or Goodfellow in Campbellville.

The probem with native oakes is the random grain. Picking the cut to give the finished product the right look requires being able to select the boards like a master chef selects fresh ingredients. I don't know if any of the above suppliers are set up for that.

+1 for Exotic Woods in Burlington. There is also Peacock Lumber in Oshawa. Their web site does not say anything about English oak.

There was another place near Durham, Ontario (not Durham Region). Met the gentleman at the wood show a couple of years back. I will look for his card but I am not sure if he is still operating, cannot find a web site for the mill.

Yes they are well set up for that, A&M specifically , money fixes everything. There is no random grain in white oak, if you need to have select quarters for the right look, money fixes everything. A lot of the vintage furniture coming out of the UK had a rift cut , very few mills would produce rift solids but they can be had, in panel product and veneers you'll get "false rift" which is just select straight quarters. Quarter cut was a used in a lot of furnishings because there was a consideration the wood was more stable, in houses where the humidity and temps fluctuated hugely day and night this was a consideration. Its better now. ( This would be my industry)

I'm actually looking to do woodworking as a hobby. I've heard that its like knitting for men. Sorry off topic.

How about you speak to the guys at home depot. They might be able to do a special order?

No chance of getting any decent wood at home depot.

There is a lumber place in aurora that can most likely get it. Its been years since I've been there though.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

+1 for Exotic Woods in Burlington. There is also Peacock Lumber in Oshawa. Their web site does not say anything about English oak.

There was another place near Durham, Ontario (not Durham Region). Met the gentleman at the wood show a couple of years back. I will look for his card but I am not sure if he is still operating, cannot find a web site for the mill.

Agreed. They have it all. (Exotic woods)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the table we are going to reproduce!

bujy6a7u.jpg
ezy4e8az.jpg
9uqady2u.jpg
tevybude.jpg
3asy9age.jpg

CST is an interesting shop with a lot of unusual stuff , but you wont find English oak. CST is primarily reclaimed and recycled product with a mix of local harvest trees and we just don't grow English oak here.
Puttockc, looking at your photos, if your going to replicate the dark stain finish you can use any domestic oak, nobody will know its not English oak. The oak coming out of the UK was also called brown oak so you have a color to start with, but modern stain fixes everything.
Here we sell red oak that's not red, and call it golden oak or wheat oak, and the "brown" red oak gets downgraded and goes to flooring plants where they are staining it brown anyway.

The whole thing about english oak, is that my dad keeps emphasizing it whenever he talks about the table

The whole thing about english oak, is that my dad keeps emphasizing it whenever he talks about the table

I guess its the important part then, I would contact Sykes Timber in the UK and look at export. The frt will be ridiculous , I just had to bring 2 lifts of plywood from France for a client, it cost the moon. Good luck.

I don't know if its any help but my father in law is retired and an avid woodworker. He just finished a little chest in English Oak.

He got the wood from a place in PA called Hearne Hardwoods. His brother lives in Wilmington so when he visits he brings wood back.

He said they have a minimum of $300 for mail order.

I don't know anything about wood but I would imagine you would have more than $300 in a table like that. Its beautiful BTW, my wife loves it :)

It was made by... Or giving to.. My great grandfather. It's really bloody old, come across countries and movies house at least 8 times since coming to canada.....

When I picked it up to move it and take a picture, there was no wobble or give. Perfectly solid. Crazy!

It was made by... Or giving to.. My great grandfather. It's really bloody old, come across countries and movies house at least 8 times since coming to canada.....

When I picked it up to move it and take a picture, there was no wobble or give. Perfectly solid. Crazy!

That's real craftsmanship. I wonder how much stuff from the Brick or Ikea will be around in a hundred years :)

Just out of interest, do you know where it was made and how old it is?

That's real craftsmanship. I wonder how much stuff from the Brick or Ikea will be around in a hundred years :)

Just out of interest, do you know where it was made and how old it is?

Made in England, I think my gran said sommerset, would have been 1940's or before

Back
Top Bottom