air guns for self defense - legal? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

air guns for self defense - legal?

Unless the perp actually attacked you during the B and E, and you prove it, expect to be in a world of legal hurt if it did play out as you describe.

Wtf? At what point was anyone injured? Play out as I describe, you're hilarious! Read much into things? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Co2 released at 450 fps loaded with a full 16rd magazine will make a grown man weep

Guess the men grow a little bigger where I come from. BB guns are little kids toys, not man-stoppers. After you shoot him, are you gonna get away on a big wheel?

If you defend yourself with any type of weapon other than your hands, be it airgun, knife, bat, spoon, fork, banana, etc., you will most likely be charged with assault. Sure you may not be convicted but you'll be out thousands in lawyers fees. It's just that way here in Canada.

If one was living in a hostile environment and the situation was going to turn violent, can one defend themselves with an air gun?

You can defend yourself with just about anything. Just make sure you stick to a DEFENCE. There is a very fine line between that one and an assault...

P.S. where abouts do you live???

That is just not true. There are many examples of self defence using a weapon that lead to no charges. In fact it's the majority. We only hear of the ones that do lead to charges as that's a news worthy story.

Location is a major decider of the outcome. It's a lot easier to explain self defence in ones home than in the middle of the street.

If you defend yourself with any type of weapon other than your hands, be it airgun, knife, bat, spoon, fork, banana, etc., you will most likely be charged with assault. Sure you may not be convicted but you'll be out thousands in lawyers fees. It's just that way here in Canada.

Co2 released at 450 fps loaded with a full 16rd magazine will make a grown man weep

What if he's on meth?
Its just skin wounds. If the offender is not incapitated in their muscles or bones, they probably will come at you

If one was living in a hostile environment and the situation was going to turn violent, can one defend themselves with an air gun?

1) We don't have the "Stand your ground" laws that exist in some of the USA. You must first attempt to go to a safer place.

2) Most people are poor shots. Add in stress and as some have said, you're better off using the gun as a club.

If one goes back to the Boston bombing shoot out IIRC there were 400 or so rounds fired and one perp was wounded. What are your chances with a pellet gun?

The hard part is if you over-react you end up in jail. If you under-react you end up in a grave. You do have a chance of getting out of jail but the superior gunman uses his superior intelligence to avoid situations that would require the use of his superior force.

The question is hypothetical and courts don't deal well with hypotheticals. They look at factual options from multiple points of view, any of which could seriously affect your future.

Break into my house where my family is sleeping? F$&@ the BB gun, I'm meeting you with a Louisville slugger while the wife calls 911. Then I'm going to find out what the dog was doing while someone "slipped" into my locked house...

Only the Louisville slugger?
zy7uja5e.jpg

Oh and OP I have a bb gun as well, but if I do recall in my research on the legality of it before purchase, there are really ambiguous laws towards the looks of a bb gun that might get you. And I think in general in Canada, at least for knives, if you carry around something and define it as a weapon used for self defense you also might get into a sticky situation. Unlike the knives you can't necessarily define bb guns as tools if you are roaming around the streets.

Just don't put yourself in that situation.

Sent from my HTC-X710a using Tapatalk

If someone attacks you with a knife, you are in big trouble. Taking aside the stupidity of trying to use an airgun to defend yourself, let's say you have a real handgun, the range is totally different. A handgun is intended to stop someone before they are on you. When you are getting stabbed to death, how are you going to get out a handgun and shoot the attacker. You need to remove yourself from this situation before it occurrs. If you have the mere thought that a room mate, acquaintance or burgler is going to come in your room and stab you while you sleep, you need to move. Also, I suggest studying self defence in some way.

If someone attacks you with a knife, you are in big trouble. Taking aside the stupidity of trying to use an airgun to defend yourself, let's say you have a real handgun, the range is totally different. A handgun is intended to stop someone before they are on you. When you are getting stabbed to death, how are you going to get out a handgun and shoot the attacker. You need to remove yourself from this situation before it occurrs. If you have the mere thought that a room mate, acquaintance or burgler is going to come in your room and stab you while you sleep, you need to move. Also, I suggest studying self defence in some way.

I've heard if you're trained it can be used against you as well. Lets say you're a retired spy who was trained to kill, that will be bought before the courts as well.

Either way, I'd use my discretion. I won't hesitate if harm was intentional to me

Listen, if someone trys to stab you, they are intending to kill you. Forget about what can or might be used against you in court. Your first job is to survive and escape the situation. The best outcomes would be for you to run away, or disarm the attacker and run away, or disarm and disable the attacker then run away, all depending on how things unfold.

With the way that Canada's firearm laws are stacked up, it is inadviseable to use a pellet gun/air gun/airsoft gun as a potential threat of force or in actual use of force, even in a defensive 'castle doctrine' type situation (which legally doesn't exist in Canada anyway).

Pellet/Air guns/airsoft are classified as 'uncontrolled firearms' in context of our firearms control acts. As such, their use in commission of a crime, or in a display of force scenario, is highly open to interpretation. Go rob a bank with an airsoft gun, and it is considered to be the real thing in terms of commission of an offence, and in sentencing. Hell, just try walking the streets with one that is realistic in form, and you'll find out what the 'impromptu response' from law enforcement will be. In the heat of the moment when in any doubt, it's treated as the real thing, situationally in the moment, and later in the legal circus arena.

If it's being used in a manner to threaten someone, with potential or actual discharge involved - and whether it's in a defensive or offensive situation.. you got some explaining to do, Lucy, if it hits the Radar of LEO.

Not to mention there is the dubious wisdom of using a 99.9% less than lethal tool, in a potentially lethal situation. Sure, you just ****** off the person that you are hoping to fend off with a dozen pellets that basically just broke his skin.. and that knife that he's holding and intent to carve into your gibblets with, sure as hell isn't a rubber one. Better off, as others have already said, to bypass the trigger on that gun, and just use it as a club in a situation such as this.. or avoid a confrontational situation entirely, in the first place.

Air guns under 500 fps are legal to purchase from stores in municiple cities. owners therefore keep these arms within their living quarters. If an an aggressor instigated an attack and your only means of self defense was to use your legally purchased, over the counter air gun, this should not be illegal for home self defense purposes.

According to stupid Canadian law - an airgun counts as a real gun in that situation. Very stupid law, but that's Canada for ya!

No body, no witnesses, no evidence, no problem
Shoot shovel and shut up

Known by some

Having worked and still working in public safety and corrections, if some one breaks into your house, all you need to do is tell them they are trespassing and need to leave. If they don't you can use force to remove them from the property. The law is worded as "enough force as necessary". Which is open to what ever interpretation. Meaning some one walks in unarmed you tell them to leave they don’t, and you shoot them, well you are most likely going to prison.

This is the same as the posted self defense laws, and also defense of property.(again if some one comes at you un armed and you stab them, your not going to have a good time.) That being said, normally a guide line for use of force is: say some one attacks you un armed, you clock them in the face, they drop, you kick them in the head, You're going to jail. You drop them, they get back up, you drop them again, legit. At the second drop I would take it further. Don't go in and beat the **** outa them, but subdue them, if they resist, go ahead and hit em a few more times. Make all attempts to not do grievous harm.

As far as fire arms, in Canada, if you shoot some one in self defense be it a knife or gun against you, what ever, and kill them, at best you are still looking at a manslaughter charge. You will always be facing down some sort of charge no matter what. But remember just because you are charged does not mean you will be convicted, it may be unlikely a jury will convict you. Also ALWAYS COMPLY WITH LAW ENFORCMENT! Talking back or resisting while shouting it was self defense will damage your credibility.

There is so much more to this, and I have done my best to explain things on a simple level. That being said if the situation can be deterred peacefully do so. Also if some one broke into my house, with a gun, i would most likely retaliate with my S.S P226 and fire warning shots(if I can open my safe and throw in a mag fast enough). Most people will be deterred by this. And I would much rather face down a firearms discharge charge, than a manslaughter charge. Either way your life gets f'ed while everything goes through the court system, which any one that has been through it will tell you is a very lengthy process.

And as some else has stated, you may not even get a charge if you incapacitate some one.

Also this is a good guide, and if you coudl quote that to the cops, you will greatly help your situation. Although its your word against some one elses

http://www.braidwoodinquiry.ca/report/P1_html/images/05-Nuff.jpg

Last edited:
Call lawyer first then cops and no I'm not kidding

Known by some

Back
Top Bottom